Author Topic: BTB Malnatis with 20% semolina  (Read 5855 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
BTB Malnatis with 20% semolina
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
IN my opinion BTB should Be BFTBPE Thats for " Bye Far The Best Pizza Ever!!"
My credit to BTB for this wonderful recipe. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.0.html I went with 20% Semolina this time around and I must say it was fantastic! Heres the recipe I used with the Lehman deep dish calculator for a 14" x2" big guy Chicago deep dish 1/2 Sausage 1/2 Pepperoni as per BTB. Last time I did 2 9 inchers. The shreddded cheese and the more well done sausage was for NY style I will report on in as different thread   

Flour (100%):    392.84 g  |  13.86 oz | 0.87 lbs
Water (47%):    184.64 g  |  6.51 oz | 0.41 lbs
ADY (.6%):    2.36 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Salt (.5%):    1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.35 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):    23.57 g | 0.83 oz | 0.05 lbs | 5.24 tsp | 1.75 tbsp
Corn Oil (18%):    70.71 g | 2.49 oz | 0.16 lbs | 5.24 tbsp | 0.33 cups
Butter/Margarine (1%):    3.93 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.83 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
Sugar (.5%):    1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.49 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
Semolina (20%):    78.57 g | 2.77 oz | 0.17 lbs | 7.53 tbsp | 0.47 cups
Cream of Tartar (.75%):    2.95 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.98 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Total (194.35%):   763.49 g | 26.93 oz | 1.68 lbs | TF = 0.12625

I Followed BTB w/ semoolina to the T. I used  12 Oz. Whole milk Mozz. Sliced. Scarmoza Cheese (1st time I have ever found it) 4 Oz. Plus Parm Reggiano 2 oz.thinnly sliced. You can see all the cheeses in the pic. I Did 24 hr fridge and 2 hr room rise and then 30 min in my warming drawer at 92 degrees before spreading the dough. The sauce was  1 28 oz. can 6 in 1s drained for 3 hrs. plus spices as per recipe, and I added some hand crushes san marzano for some chunkiness as recommended again bt BTB. Baked in pan at 450 on stone for 20 min spin 1/2 way around and another 15 min.
I did pre / par bake dough in pan for 4 min. before adding any ingredients because I read it in a thread somewhere.
The results follow, and I recommend anyone interested in trying deep dish start right here with the BTB thread! Thanks BOB

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:40:20 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: BTB Malnatis with 20% semolina
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »
Sory but very photogenic especially the cross sections YUM! :P
JOhn
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:10:29 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
A few more shots this crust is so flavorful and light.  A real go to recipe for me! I had a panel of 9 people that  just raved about it!!
thanks again BTB and other posters on that thread.
John
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:29:36 AM by JConk007 »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »
VERY nice, John.  :D

Keep 'em comin'!  ;D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Billy R

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing! They look great! ;)
"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
General George S. Patton

Offline koloa101

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
awesome job with the shaping! i posted in the main malnati thread. this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:22 AM »
Wow, excellent looking pizza, John.  You are getting great at pizzamaking.  And your photography is fantastic also.  It always helps to see what the baker is talking about.  I especially like your close ups of the sides of the pizza slices as it tells so much about the pizza.  And your choice of cheeses is terrific, too.  I haven't had some good Scamorza in many years.  I completely forgot about it, but will ask for it at several Italian deli's that I frequent for other good Italian foods.  I thought maybe the sauce you mentioned was drained a little too long, but the pictures don't show that at all.  Great job.                                                      --BTB

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »
Thanks BTB!
Thats a great comment coming from a true master of the deep dish!
Yes, Just happened upon the scamorza at my local store. I find myself looking in the cheese isle and the tomato isle no matter what store I go into. Allways looking. Bingo, I found it. I never saw this cheese anywhere but heard so many posts about it had to try it. Besides that, I forgot the provelone, so it worked really well. As for the draining yes the 6 in 1's were looking a bit dry but as per another of your posts I added the Hand crushed (broken up and left very juicy) so I think that made it work I would not recommend draining that long unless you add something back with liquid. 1/2 hr should be sufficient drain time. I could not believe the amount of clear liquid that came form that 1  28 oz can. I used your sauce recipe too with the White pepper, a little crushed red, penzy pizza , ginger, honey... and WOW loved it!
Thanks for the guidance.
I do want to try the real deal sometime waiting for a bonus, but with the economic crisis, the $75 mail order is on hold , I'll just keep trying. May go to 25% semolina ? next time and plan to try the corn flour too!

oh yeah I just use a cheapo Sony digital dsc camera but I use the close up setting on the cross sections
John
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:47:22 AM by JConk007 »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
Great looking pizza John! Save me a slice.  :pizza:
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline MarleyEds

• Waitress I need some more boat drinks!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »
Looks awesome John.  Now I want to fire one up...right now   :'(

I'm the same way as you - always taking a peek at the tomato and cheese aisles at every store I'm in.  The wife just shakes her head. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
Jeff,
What was that movie? "Gone with the wind?"
Marley,
Have you tried this recipe? If not do it now it rocks  ;D
John

Offline MarleyEds

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
Marley,
Have you tried this recipe? If not do it now it rocks  ;D
John

Oh yeah...about 5-6 times.  I'm up to 25% Semolina now though.  I was in Naples, FL last week visiting my parents and made one for them.  Damn, is it hard to find ingredients in FL.  I nearly gave up on Semolina...found it on my last attempt though.  The grocery stores were sold out of King Arthur All Purpose too, so I had to go with Organic.  My parents didn't have a baking stone - and the crust came out lighter and not as crispy...I know the baking stone had something to do with it, but I'm curious what effect the Organic flour had.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
Isnt BTB himself there? or is that other side of florida? I am sure he would lend a fellow member a pan or 2  :)
I will go to 25% but staying away from the organic for now.
Thanks
John

Offline BTB

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
No, I'm about 150 miles north of there in the Tampa Bay area (2 blocks from the Gulf) with my boat on the water in the back yard.  But I'm pretty familiar with Naples as one of my daughters used to live there until recently.  Chris, the No. 1 rated pizzeria in Naples is . . . Aurelio's of Homewood, IL!  A family that I know from Flossmoor, IL has the franchise there and last time I had their great thin crust pizza (and took some par baked ones back home for the freezer, too), it was even better than the flagship restaurant back in Illinois.  Did you get a chance to go there?

John, while I'm thinking of it, of all the pictures of pizzas that I've seen recently, if I could give an award, I would give it to your picture of 2/28/09 as below.  To me that is a great slice of Chicago Deep Dish Style pizza, atho there have been so many good pictues of pizzas taken by a lot of hardworking (and hard tasting) pizzamakers here recently. 

If I didn't know any better (since you said you drained the tomatoes for seemingly an excessive time) I would have thought that you sprayed the piece of pie with a "mist" of water to make it "glisten" brightly for the camera, but I know you didn't do that.  Does that look absolutely delicious or what?  I trust it tasted as good as it looks.  I still salivate at the picture perfect piece of pizza that you did.  Great job, guy.  You did good.                     
 :angel:                                                                                                          --BTB

Offline MarleyEds

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »
Chris, the No. 1 rated pizzeria in Naples is . . . Aurelio's of Homewood,IL!

Yes, whenever me or my sister visit the parents down there, we always go to Aurelio's.  The only reason we skipped it this past visit was because I was making the pie!   :chef:  There seems to be quite a Chicago contingent down there...I believe Ditka has a restaurant too.  My parents would be content if they could score a Portillos.

Offline koloa101

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
hey all,
i notice that all purpose seems to be called for. i used high gluten flour, what kind of difference would that make? also, do you guys sautee onions/green peppers before adding them to the pie?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
Koloa101:

High gluten flour tends to make crusts more chewy.  The all-purpose flour gives it a more biscuit-y like texture.

Can't help you on the onions or green peppers question.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline MarleyEds

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:25:01 PM »
do you guys sautee onions/green peppers before adding them to the pie?

I saute onions and fresh garlic before I add them - and have really liked the results.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Koloa,
Yes the AP is better for this recipe just like ME and others have mentioned crispier not chewy for biscuit crust like this, see loos comments here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8098.msg69653.html#msg69653
The saute may also remove some moisture for you , allways drain veggies well so you don't have pizza soup.

BTB,
Again I thank you for your generous comments. Makes me feel its all worth while, beside the fact I love this new pizza passion. I only hope it motivates other members to try YOUR Delicious recipe! I never did look that closely. Just put up some quick pics with the old Sony Dsc-t1, and no, I never thought of the spray thing. Remember I added quite a few very moist San Marzanos and the light was right. However,  I do now find myself going back and drooling, Guess it does look pretty dang tasty :P The whole pie was better than the first one I put on your Malnatis deep dish with semolina thread. ( pg 5 or 6?)
Next time I making my usual flour mess that comes with these different pizza creations (drives the wife nuts! that film over the entire counter!) I am going to make 2 extra 9 inchers for the freezer. Have you ever frozen these deep dish? Anybody have any comments on freezing for up to like 1 month or 2 (if I lock it) The NY style freezes fine and I can allways pull out a calzone or slice from that wonderful treasure chest! (freezer)
Thanks again
John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:38:04 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
Last deep dish pie Feb 28th. Too long ago! Pics look similar but trust me this is different pizza check date on photos :)
Did the BTB with 20% semolina again a 14" as above. By the pics you can see how consistent this recipe is and easy to reproduce again and again. It was requested again here at home so while I was messing with the Papa Ginos at 450 degrees it was perfect for this Malnatis from the BTB thread. again and yes I WILL do it again and again and..... you get it. Only thing I did different was a 2 day cold fermentation this time, and did not taste a noticable difference. I am officially stuffed to the gills. Speaking of which I plan to try that one next! Did the scamorza, whole milk and provolone cheese with padano parm on top.
Heres the pics soo good ! and another big thank you to BTB
Enjoy and no drooling on the computer  :pizza:
John
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:52:02 PM by JConk007 »