Author Topic: New and Improved Mozza Recipe  (Read 20026 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: New and Improved Mozza Recipe
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
I think the article also says there is a preferment used...so maybe it takes 1 day to make the preferment and the final dough sits for one day? In any event I would think it's heavily fermented given the micro blisters on the cornicione.

I should also mention in the "Hanging With Matt Harris" video, they zoom in when cutting the pizza and I could get a read on the oven temp in the Osteria; it looked to be 530 up top and only 513-515 on the floor.

I will say the pizza was very, very crisp. No tip sag, an a cornicione that shattered when you bit into it. You could see the stringy, open gluten strands, almost "crystalized."

I would love to get close to this in my home oven. It really was one of the best pizzas I've ever had.

Thanks for posting this. It raises a couple questions however: 1) we've seen Nancy say it's a 2-day dough. Both this video and the article say 1-day? 2) 9-12 minutes seems really long for 570-570F. Possible, but surprising nonetheless. Along the same lines, in the video, you can see 12 balls in each tray, and there are 15 trays being delivered to the restaurant. That's 180 balls, or 27-36 hours of total cooking time. Say it's 10 minutes on average, that's 30 total hours of cooking time - or 8 hours of oven time with an average of 3.75 pies in the oven for every second of those 8 hours, again it's plausible, but it seems unlikely.  Plenty of upscale places serve 180+ pies/day (and I have no doubt Mozza can sell that many or more) but pretty much all of them are baking them a lot faster than 9 minutes.

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
I would have liked to try this but i don't have wheat germ nor rye flour.
Carl

Offline jsaras

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
I can confirm the long bake times.  I recall it being about 8 minutes.  I also recall that the temperature was lower, to the point of being surprising for a WFO.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
I think the article also says there is a preferment used...so maybe it takes 1 day to make the preferment and the final dough sits for one day? In any event I would think it's heavily fermented given the micro blisters on the cornicione.

According to the article which is consistent with what is said in the video, "The entire dough-making process takes about 10 - 12 hours, and the dough rests overnight before being delivered to Pizzeria Mozza."

Sounds like ~24 hours?

With respect to the blisters, they paint the cornicione with oil. Long fermentation may encourage blistering, but things like oil on the surface or baking in high humidity have a far more powerful effect in my experience.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

I'd be surprised if you can't find both (even in Canada), but you are talking about the Mozza cookbook recipe - not the pizzeria.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »

I have always suspected that Mellow Mushroom uses some rye. Anyone out there that has had both care to comment? 

Offline carl333

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
I'd be surprised if you can't find both (even in Canada), but you are talking about the Mozza cookbook recipe - not the pizzeria.

Sure Craig, they have that here. I just didn't care to buy a bag of both products that I don't use and that is just used in minute qtys. After a surch for something equiv. I found this. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8539.0/topicseen.html

100% hyydration. This is going to be fun!!
Carl

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
I wonder if it's really 560-570 degrees.

I also have to wonder what the total hydration of the dough is. I know Matt or Nancy has mentioned it's higher because 1) The dough has more structure and 2) It bakes for a while.

I would go so far to say Mozza is the best pizza I've ever had next to UPN...and I mean it. Those pies I had haunt me.

I can confirm the long bake times.  I recall it being about 8 minutes.  I also recall that the temperature was lower, to the point of being surprising for a WFO.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Sure Craig, they have that here. I just didn't care to buy a bag of both products that I don't use and that is just used in minute qtys. After a surch for something equiv. I found this. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8539.0/topicseen.html

100% hyydration. This is going to be fun!!

Working with ~100%HR dough (or 95% as the case may be)  is not always a lot of fun. Notice that member Burnt Edges is using a Superpeel to launch it.

Before you jump all the way to 95%, I'd encourage you to try the Mozza formula and just leave out the rye and wheat germ.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
I also have to wonder what the total hydration of the dough is.

From this video, I'd guess mid to upper 70's.

Offline carl333

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »
Working with ~100%HR dough (or 95% as the case may be)  is not always a lot of fun. Notice that member Burnt Edges is using a Superpeel to launch it.

Before you jump all the way to 95%, I'd encourage you to try the Mozza formula and just leave out the rye and wheat germ.

Yes I noticed the Super Peel launch method. i would never think of launching that from my peel. I was thinking after the 2 hr rise, dump the mass onto an oiled pc of parchmant paper sitting on a cooking pan and spread it out. Dress and cook until it is set enough to relaunch on  my stone. Sounds good Craig?
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
Sounds reasonable. The texture on the bottom will suffer a little on parchment, but give it a try.

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »
Reviving an old thread here, but I think it's worth it.

http://www.eater.com/2014/3/21/6263259/fennel-sausage-panna-pizza-at-las-pizzeria-mozza

Great resource for those wanting to make Mozza Pizza. The big thing? The oven is at 560 to 570 degrees and the pies bake in about 9 minutes.

Also, at the end of this video you can get a great sense for the pizza if you've never had it. It's more crisp than anything...nothing like a NY style pizza. You can also catch a glimpse at how light and airy the crumb is.

hotsawce....

I had read the same article and that, along with Craig's Mozza inspired thread, made me want to at least try something similar. I'm a new fan of fennel seed and powder for sure. Not exactly Mozza but it was fun trying....http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34858.msg362716#msg362716

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:30:26 AM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:41 AM »
Looks close enough to me! Oddly enough I didn't have that pizza when I visited...I'm sure it's popular for a reason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:43 AM »
I don't know if anyone is interested, but Peter posted a formulation for Nancy Silverton's recipe from Slice at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16033.msg158880#msg158880 My attempts really didn't look like a Mozza pizzas, but then I was using lower oven temperatures and didn't follow all the directions right.

Norma

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »

Nancy Silverton's recipe from Slice

Norma, do you think this recipe, aside from the honey (sub molasses, add some oil), could shed any light on the mellow mushroom conundrum?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:13 AM »
I don't know if anyone is interested, but Peter posted a formulation for Nancy Silverton's recipe from Slice at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16033.msg158880#msg158880 My attempts really didn't look like a Mozza pizzas, but then I was using lower oven temperatures and didn't follow all the directions right.

Norma

Keep in mind that this is the Mozza book recipe not the Mozza recipe. In addition to any other differences, we know that the restaurant uses neither honey nor wheat germ.

Offline carl333

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Keep in mind that this is the Mozza book recipe not the Mozza recipe. In addition to any other differences, we know that the restaurant uses neither honey nor wheat germ.

Is there the a real Mozza recipe out there Craig? When I stumbled on this thread, I though Mozza was a style of pizza. (extreme high hydration formula)  After reading more, it eventually came to me that Mozza was a restaurant. For 550 oven
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:43:36 AM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
Is there the a real Mozza recipe out there Craig? When I stumbled on this thread, I though Mozza was a style of pizza. (extreme high hydration formula)  After reading more, it eventually came to me that Mozza was a restaurant. For 550 oven

No - just guesses at it.

Offline carl333

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
No - just guesses at it.

Ok, as the saying goes "You don't miss, what you don't know"  I never had it but it sure has a share of some darn good reviews.
Carl

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
Norma, do you think this recipe, aside from the honey (sub molasses, add some oil), could shed any light on the mellow mushroom conundrum?

PrimeRib,

I have no idea if the recipe, aside from the honey (sub molasses, add some oil, would shed any light on the MM dough. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:10 PM »

Craig,

I know that the Mozza book recipe is not the Mozza recipe.  I never even tasted a Mozza pizza so I wouldn't know how close I would get even if I tried a real Mozza formulation.

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
I have my barley malt and dark rye flour on order. I'm going to try a Mozza inspired recipe. Bread Flour, Rye Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Barley Malt.

Rather than do a preferment, I'm going to stick it all in a mixer and do an extended cold ferment like Glutenboys recipe. Maybe 3 days. I would think this could get me a similar fermentation in the dough.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
It seems Mozza is getting a more radical crust spring. Also, they seem to get these tiny little bubbles on the  crust.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathydanhphotography/4383584593/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathydanhphotography/4383586323/lightbox/

is that because a 500-550F oven cannot generate enough scorching heat to cause such spring?

Next time I make pizza, I'm going to use your modified recipe.

One question, is it OK to bake two pizzas at once, on two pizza stones in the oven (would I need to a midpoint rotation?). My kitchenaid non-convection oven goes to 500F max

WOW, I never knew my pizzas looked so similar to Mozza's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133071441@N02/27214891814
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133071441@N02/28443662832/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133071441@N02/28517613736/

Here is my formula and workflow.

Flour:King Arthur's Bread Flour 100%
Spring Water:60%
Butter:6%
Honey:6%
Hoosier Hill Diastatic Malt:3%
Kosher salt:3%
IDY: .02%

Combine, flour, malt powder, and salt in a bowl.
In a separate large container, add yeast.

In another separate small bowl add butter and melt it, pour in honey. Mix butter and honey together

Prepare water.

Add honey/butter mix to water.

Heat, honey, water, and butter mixture to 95*F in microwave.

Add mixture to yeast, stir till dissolved.

Sift in flour, malt and salt.

Combine, cover, and lest rest for 20 min.

Knead to smooth.

Oil dough ball and place in wine cooler

Ferment for 48  hours at 65*F in a wine cooler.
Reballed and re-kneaded at the 36 hour mark.

When stretching dough, DO NOT stretch the very edge, leave a thick "lip" of dough on the edge.
Baked at 550*F  on stone at the 2nd lowest rack for 7ish mins.

Well that's my take.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:08:11 PM by Pete-zza »

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »
That looks really good MR! From my visit to Mozza....
Bob

wordpress