Author Topic: tips for making a home dough recipe in commercial setting  (Read 229 times)

Offline beat2life

• I Love Pizza!
tips for making a home dough recipe in commercial setting
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »
Hopefully in the next year I will open a place. I've been working on perfecting my dough for the better half of a year now.  All the information on this board has been an IMMENSE help.  I've noticed people talk about the differences in making dough at home vs in a commercial setting.   I know about bakers percentages and that a commercial mixer is no comparison to the rinky dink mixer I have at home.  I was wondering who on the board has experience or advice/tips on this subject.  The idea of working this hard on getting my dough right only to essentially relearn how to make it in a different setting is a pretty scary thought, especially when that other setting is a do or die/money on the line situation.
ps. lucky for me I still have a friend at an old job that will give me access to a brick oven, but making a bulk batch there isn't really feasible. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: tips for making a home dough recipe in commercial setting
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »
Other than teaching you about dough, I doubt a home recipe or workflow will survive a commercial environment.  But you know how to make dough, now you just have to learn to make it in commercial quantities, so you have that going for you.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
Do you have any restaurant experience, if not, night classes, part time classes on restaurant management is a must. Also, work a few months at a pizzaria of the type you want to open, even offer to work for free on the weekends or something, certainly in an area you won't be competing so the owner won't feel like he's blood letting on himself and be willing to teach you. Making a good dough, pizza, product is very important to your business but realistically, is dwarfed by knowing how to run the business. If it only took being a great cook to be successfull we would all be doing it, but to be a truly successfull restaurateur one needs to know everthing from the ground up. Not trying to condescend, hope you do it and blow the windows out, but I've seen so many personally jump in that lake thinking all they needed was being a great swimmer.....so much more. And I was raised in the biz most of my life growing up.
Don't wait til you open to learn the things you need, you'll never find the time. Get it ALL tied down tight before you even think about making a move. Plan, learn, plan, learn........really can't stress this point enough, sooooooo many fail in the first 1-2 years because of these things and more, detail EVERYTHING ahead of time, it will pay you back a lifetime if you spend the extra couple years learning. Okay, I'll shut up now, enough examples and good luck on ya!!!

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Agree with all that's been said.

Dough wise, all is not lost, if you know the percentages you can make dough in a commercial setting or home setting - its the equipment and how to use it and most importantly is Dough Management.  Read up on Tom Lehman and Dough Management to give you an idea.  Unless your home technique and or ingredients are non standard, you will only need to learn the equipment and dough management and you will be able to recreate your dough in a commercial setting.

If we take the business part out of it, and just talk about the product - the dough knowledge wont be enough.  You need to create the pizza not just concentrate on dough.  Dough is critical for sure, but it's the pizza overall that will set you apart.  That includes your sauce, cheese, meats and dough management.  Oven type (deck, brick, conveyor) also play a major role in what you will need to create.  Your product needs to set you apart, otherwise, it's just another pizza. 

If you have a dough that works for you and you like it, spend time experimenting with different styles of sauce - your overall pizza can change drastically based on sauce and cheese too - lots of varieties to choose from and to experiment with.  The dough is only a part of it.

When you get to the point of creating your perfect pizza, you can duplicate it in a commercial setting by finding the suppliers who provide the commercial ingredients that match what you've done in the home setting.  Once you have that, it's all about the equipment differences, ovens and dough management.

pizzapan