Author Topic: Jets pizza  (Read 74309 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Jets pizza
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
Bob,

It would be helpful if you got every measurement (because of the tapering of the pans) of a large square Jet's cheese pizza. I would also like the weight of the baked pizza as soon as you can weigh it. I have even gone so far in the past of scraping everything off of a purchased pizza in order to get a rough baked weight of the crust only. Usually the cheese is congealed and, especially if the sauce is on the thin side, it gives off a lot of moisture during baking and leaves just a little residue on the crust. For now, there is no need for you to go that far. You should enjoy the pizza--after you have taken all of the measurements. With your measurements and Hog's measurements, we might be able to tell if the scaling of the Jet's square pizzas is proportional. It is quite common for that not to be so, either because of assembly or baking considerations or because operators like to work with dough ball weights that are not oddball numbers, like numbers with fractions. It is also possible that the dough balls used to make the small pizzas are combined to make the larger pizzas. 

I would also ask for a sample of the Jet's regular pizza sauce on the side. Sometimes pizza places have those little tubs of sauce for customers to use for dipping crusts but those sauces usually are different than their regular sauces and contain preservatives that can give the sauce a medicinal taste. I usually tell the workers that it is for my daughter for dipping purposes and she won't eat the sauce with the chemicals. If you can get a sample of the sauce, I would like you to examine it for things like seeds and small pieces of tomato skin, any chunkiness of tomatoes, and anything else that you can see. It will usually be herbs, which we know are in the sauce if Jet's is using the Castella herb pouches. You should also taste the sauce to detect things like salt, sugar, pepper, garlic and herbs like oregano, which tends to be one of the most common herbs used in pizza sauces. If Jet's is using a Stanislaus tomato product, as I suspect, it will be naturally sweet because Stanislaus uses fresh-pack tomatoes that are processed during a very short window after picking, which makes the tomatoes sweeter than most brands of tomatoes.

If you can take and post some photos of the Jet's pizza you buy, for example, after slicing, that might be useful since real pizzas made by chains often look different than the pizzas shown at their websites. A crumb shot showing the height of the pizza would be especially useful as would a shot of the bottom crust showing the coloration and degree of crisping.

I would be very surprised if Jet's is using high-gluten flour for the dough for its square pizzas. If that were the case, they would only have to use one kind of flour, not two as shown in the Jet's video and also in the Barbados document. At some point, I would like to find out whether the flour used for the Jet's square pizzas is bromated or not, and also whether it is bleached, as the Northville data suggests. You might try asking a worker at the Jet's you go to if their flour for the square pizzas is bromated. Often workers don't even know what bromated flours are. I usually explain that bromated flours are outlawed in California and that a member of the family from California who will be eating the pizzas is sensitive to that.

I would hold back for now on getting supplies and pans. I'd like to get the numbers for their pizzas as best I can and then decide what is the best way to proceed from there.

BTW, where are you located, near one of the Jet's shops in Michigan or at a franchise location somewhere else out of that state?

Peter
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:00:22 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Mipizza1

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »
Norma,

Bob will know better than I, but I would say yes. However, Jet's puts down the sauce and cheese in the usual manner, that is, the sauce goes down before the cheese.

Peter
Jets has a more dense crust. When u bite into jets it has a crunch. 

Offline boboo

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
I'm in Tennessee with a Jets just around the corner.

I will get some pictures and the sauce etc.  I'll ask em about bromated.

I think you are right about their sq. pan not being high gluten.  Jets is just like all others in the chewy aspect.  It is very white so I guess its bleached.  It has a cooked layer and a larger uncooked layer, both layers are very very chewy, but not like the high gluten I just tried.

I did try the high gluten a 2nd time (burnt first one)  and it did give me a harder, crunchier,
more "stuck together" bottom crust.  Not as good as Jets ( esp. the middle) but I got much much closer. It did solve my flaky crumbly problem.

This may aid in that if the high gluten also starts down the crunchy road, it might point to what else would also do so with all purpose flour.

Jets crunch is easily and consistently done for them. That is, they have no problem getting it every time. I noticed, they can even fine tune it at will. ( I guess with cooking temps and time)

Also, mine has to work on taste as well. Mine is kinda funky tasting so far.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »
I'm in Tennessee with a Jets just around the corner.

Bob,

Can you tell me which one of the TN Jet's you go to? Jet's is getting pretty big in TN, with 15 stores and 3 more on the way. Usually when Jet's opens a new store, it is common for an article to be written up in a local newspaper to herald the opening of the new store. Sometimes there is a tidbit in the article about how they make their pizzas. Then, reviews typically follow.

Peter

Offline boboo

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
Its a new one in Nashville on Richard Jones Road.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
There will be no need for anyone to inquire as to whether the flour for the Jet's square pizza is bromated or not. Today, I called Jet's Pizza and spoke with a customer service rep who looked into the matter and emailed me to tell me that the flour is not bromated. Apparently, I was the first person to ever ask if the Jet's flour is bromated. Jet's had to go to the supplier of the flour to get the answer.

I also learned a bit more about how Jet's handles school programs. Apparently many states have legal requirements that limit how much fat and other components can be in food products supplied to schools in the state. Once Jet's is aware of the requirements, it works with its nutrition department to come up with products that satisfy the legal requirements. At the store level, this might mean using less cheese or less pepperoni than normal to be in compliance. Also, schools might want larger or smaller pizza pieces than sold in the stores.

The Jet's pizzas supplied to schools can be square pizzas or their round pizzas. When I looked at the Nutrition Facts in the Northville document referenced earlier, I could not match those Nutrition Facts with any existing Jet's product. Quite likely the Northville school pizzas were designed especially for them based on their specific nutrition requirements.

Peter

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
A few points that I can clarify.

I noticed discussion of the cheese did not notice any resolution. I did confirm that the cheese used is a Grande mozzarella.

The thin-crust dough is brought in frozen, and all of the deep dish is made daily.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
A few points that I can clarify.

I noticed discussion of the cheese did not notice any resolution. I did confirm that the cheese used is a Grande mozzarella.

The thin-crust dough is brought in frozen, and all of the deep dish is made daily.

AustinSpartan,

Can you tell me where you got confirmation that the cheese used at Jet's is Grande?

By "thin crust", I assume you are referring to a Jet's thin crust pizza such as shown at http://jetspizza.com/menu/item/67. If so, it is quite common for chain operators to use frozen shells for that style. Domino's and Papa John's and Pizza Hut do that.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:08:11 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
Following up on AustinSpartan's lead and hoping to get an answer to the Jet's mozzarella cheese question, this afternoon I sent an email to Grande using the Contact Us feature at the Grande website at http://www.grande.com/Pages/Welcome.aspx. In the email, I referenced the Jet's video in which the founder of Jet's (Gene Jett) discussed how the cows whose milk is used to make the Jet's mozzarella cheese are given mattresses to rest on and are entertained with operatic music. I also mentioned that I was led to believe that Jet's procured its mozzarella cheese from Grande. Not long after I sent the email, I received the following reply:

Jetís pizza shops based out of Michigan currently use Grande Cheese products.  Grande Cheese Company would have no control over what is mentioned about the animal treatment outside of the prepared information on our web site at www.grandecheese.com.

The above would suggest that Jet's is using another cheese source in Michigan where it still has a large number of stores, more than in any other state.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:05:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
Following up on AustinSpartan's lead and hoping to get an answer to the Jet's mozzarella cheese question, this afternoon I sent an email to Grande using the Contact Us feature at the Grande website at http://www.grande.com/Pages/Welcome.aspx. In the email, I referenced the Jet's video in which the founder of Jet's (Gene Jett) discussed how the cows whose milk is used to make the Jet's mozzarella cheese are given mattresses to rest on and are entertained with operatic music. I also mentioned that I was led to believe that Jet's procured its mozzarella cheese from Grande. Not long after I sent the email, I received the following reply:

Jetís pizza shops based out of Michigan currently use Grande Cheese products.  Grande Cheese Company would have no control over what is mentioned about the animal treatment outside of the prepared information on our web site at www.grandecheese.com.

The above would suggest that Jet's is using another cheese source in Michigan where it still has a large number of stores, more than in any other state.

Peter

I do believe that you're interpreting this response incorrectly. This reads to me as 'all of our Michigan Jet's Pizza locations use Grande Cheese Products'. If he meant to say that it was all but Michigan that used Grande, it would have read, "Jetís pizza shops based outside of Michigan currently use Grande Cheese products."

The marketing that Jet's uses for their cheese probably does not reflect the actual conditions, and Grande does not control this statement made by Jet's. Just my thoughts based on what I'm reading here. I'm pretty sure that all midwest Jet's pizza locations use Grande, though that might be different in Texas.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
AustinSpartan,

I don't see the interpretation you attach to the Grande response. To me, "based" implies a physical presence somewhere (http://www.yourdictionary.com/based-suffix). The last time I researched Jet's, there were close to 150 stores in Michigan--open stores and stores scheduled to open. There are around 65 stores open or scheduled to open outside of Michigan. I would guess that all of the stores outside of Michigan are licensee stores. They are in FL, OH, TX, NC, MN, TN, GA, IL, KY and IN. I'm sure that over time, stores will open in additional states. Since Grande has a national distribution system, it would make sense to me to use them for the stores outside of Michigan, and retain the current supplier in Michigan, at least for the time being if there are business or marketing reasons to do so.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:12:25 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »
AustinSpartan,

I don't see the interpretation you attach to the Grande response. To me, "based" implies a physical presence somewhere (http://www.yourdictionary.com/based-suffix). The last time I researched Jet's, there were close to 150 stores in Michigan--open stores and stores scheduled to open. There are around 65 stores open or scheduled to open outside of Michigan. I would guess that all of the stores outside of Michigan are licensee stores. They are in FL, OH, TX, NC, MN, TN, GA, IL, KY and IN. I'm sure that over time, stores will open in additional states. Since Grande has a national distribution system, it would make sense to me to use them for the stores outside of Michigan, and retain the current supplier in Michigan, at least for the time being if there are business or marketing reasons to do so.

Peter

The phrase 'based out of' is a way of describing the presence of a company located in a particular area. I'd venture to say this is a regional use of the phrase, and as a fellow midwesterner, I am lead to believe that they mean in Michigan; not outside of Michigan.

As a reference, it may be poor English, but this is how I've heard it used in MI: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/based-in-and-based-out-of/

I can always contact my source and ask directly to clarify any miscommunication in the Grande response. :)

Offline Chippewafan

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 03:59:08 AM »
Gordon Food Service (GFS) does sell Grande. You have to ask a manager to order it for you. You have to order a whole case. My last order cost $81. It freezes very well.

I use BDoggPizza's recipe for my Detroit style pizza. It come out very close to Jett's.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
I use BDoggPizza's recipe for my Detroit style pizza. It come out very close to Jett's.

Chippewafan,

I'm glad you mentioned BDoggPizza's recipe. For those unfamiliar with that recipe, it is the one given at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg62787.html#msg62787 and as I converted it to baker's percent format at Reply 19 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg62820.html#msg62820.

From my perspective, the relevance of the BDoggPizza dough recipe to the Jet's situation is that, as best I can tell from my Jet's research, it recites the same ingredients as I believe Jet's uses to make the dough for its square pizzas. Moreover, the baker's percents appear to be in the same pecking order as the Jet's dough recipe I found in my research. Apart from specific baker's percents values, what we don't know is if the thickness factor used by BDoggPizza is the same as used by Jet's. It will take more information about the Jet's pizzas to arrive at what we hope will the correct, or at least workable, thickness factor for the Jet's square pizzas. Until then, there is no harm if people want to use the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html to adapt BDoggPizza's recipe for a rectangular or square pan rather than a round one as was used by BDoggPizza.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
I can always contact my source and ask directly to clarify any miscommunication in the Grande response. :)

AustinSpartan,

I sent a follow-up email to Grande last night in which I specifically asked whether Grande is the supplier to only the Jet's stores outside of Michigan, i.e., none in Michigan. This morning, I received the reply reproduced below, which apparently was to clarify what was meant by the words "based out of". Here is the reply I got this morning:

Grande Cheese company is supplying all the Jetís locations in the network of pizzeriaís

Assuming that the above is true, and that what Gene Jett says in the video about the cows is also true, that must mean that Grande deals with at least one dairy farmer who provides mattresses and music for their cows.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:33:35 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Here is further evidence of the use by Jet's of Grande mozzarella cheese, in Michigan in this case: http://foodio54.com/restaurant/Monroe-MI/39566/Jets-Pizza-Of-Monroe.

I also confirmed that Gordon Food Services (GFS) carries many of the Grande mozzarella cheeses, in various forms (block, diced and shredded). The Grande offerings appear in the Bulk Gourmet document at http://www.thebulkgourmet.com/catalogs/food_kitchen_laundry.pdf and also in the GFS Product Guide at http://www.gfs.com/files/pdf/gms/ProductGuide.pdf, both of which were referenced earlier in this thread in Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg118161.html#msg118161. However, it is not clear whether GFS or Grande handles the distribution of the Grande cheeses. From our perspective, it is not material.

Peter

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
I also confirmed that Gordon Food Services (GFS) carries many of the Grande mozzarella cheeses, in various forms (block, diced and shredded).

I've been buying low moisture whole milk shredded Grande at my local GFS...LOVE this cheese.  One of these days, I'll ask about them acquiring the East Coast Blend :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
One of our members, apizza, posted a link to an article today at, http://www.freep.com/article/20110123/COL20/101230384/Shortage-of-steel-pans-has-Detroit-style-pizza-makers-scrambling, in which there is a discussion of the Detroit-style steel deep-dish pans such as used at places like Buddy's and Jet's to make their pizzas. According to the article, manufacturers of such pans have not been able to keep up with demand for the deep-dish pans. It appears that Gene Jett is one of the major users of the steel deep-dish pans who has been frustrated by the shortage of the pans, as is clear from this excerpt from the article:

But a very frustrated Eugene Jett -- cofounder of the fast-growing Jet's Pizza chain -- is through waiting.

After promised deliveries didn't come in September or December, he went into action.

"We've tried other pans and (the pizza) doesn't come out as good," he says. So he had the original pans analyzed by a lab in Lansing, found a manufacturer, and is having them made -- right here in Michigan. He says the key, by the way, is the thickness of the steel.

"They're cutting them as we speak," he said last week. And not a moment too soon: Two new Jet's are opening at the end of the month and he's totally out of pans, after giving each of his last three stores only 75% of what they needed.

"The first thing is for me to get my pans," he says; the first run is enough for nine stores. If the manufacturer thinks they'd be profitable, it could put them into full production, he says.

"It took me a long time to figure out how to get them done," Jett said. "But I decided then, I will build my own pans."

To date, I have not been able to find either the sizes of pans that Jet's uses or a probable supplier. This has led me to conclude that Jet's deep-dish pans are a non-standard proprietary product made especially for them.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
I tried to make a Jetís pizza dough, but forgot to take my round steel pan to market today. The dough was made on Sunday. I had to cut the dough so it would fit in Steveís 10" blue steel pan. I then had no idea of what thickness factor I was using. I did use a lot of oil in Steveís pan, but the bottom of this pizza didnít get real crispy, like a Jetís pizza is supposed to be.  The pizza didnít really turn out like a Jetís pizza, but was good.  The rest of the dough ball was frozen.

These are the pictures and the formula I used for the attempt at a Jetís pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
end of pictures

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan