Author Topic: Keste neapolitan pizzeria in NYC  (Read 12610 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Keste neapolitan pizzeria in NYC
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »
I love this!!!   Proof of how difficult it is to make a perfect consistent pizza every day......and that sometimes no matter how much skill you have that luck can be on your side or not!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
Roberto, if you are still watching.......do they use a fork mixer at marcos?

Offline roberto60

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
yes

Offline djshwa

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
I just went to Keste last week here is some pictures. Roberto is truly a zen pizza master, I could have watched him all day. The pizza was superb!

Offline djshwa

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »
Then I was inspired to make some pizza myself. I tricked my oven thermometer and got the oven close to 700. Antimo Caputo flour 63% hydration 3% salt .5% IDY with a two day cold rise.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
Scott r or anyone,
 Do I see a gum line in the crust at Keste pictured above? is that intentional. or are they just so busy.
Thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
The hotter an oven gets, the more chances for that small amount of uncooked dough in the middle.  Combine that with the neapolitan tradition of a fairly wet sauce, and you can easily start having issues.    Jeff Varasano commented to me in private that most, or maybe even all the pizzas he had in Naples Italy had a gum layer, and that he considered them "raw".   What this means to me is that it is sort of part of the neapolitan experience, although maybe marco can chime in and tell us that it shouldn't be that way.

The pizza I had at Keste was exceptional, and right up there with what I expect after a visit to Naples.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
I agree  Scott. Someone had commented on he slight gum line I had on a margherita picture in 1 of my posts so I am just curious?
John

Offline italdream

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
I don't know the standards of Frank Bruni, chief restaurant editor for the NYT, but he just posted a very unflattering review of several New York pizzerias. This is what he had to say about Keste':

"I got almost no pleasure from the soggy pies at Kesté — including one with sausage that could have come from a Jimmy Dean’s freezer package — though Kesté, too, introduced itself as many discerning cuts above a run-of-the-mill slice joint."

Of course, I disagree.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
I don't know the standards of Frank Bruni, chief restaurant editor for the NYT, but he just posted a very unflattering review of several New York pizzerias. This is what he had to say about Keste':

"I got almost no pleasure from the soggy pies at Kesté — including one with sausage that could have come from a Jimmy Dean’s freezer package — though Kesté, too, introduced itself as many discerning cuts above a run-of-the-mill slice joint."

Of course, I disagree.

The complete article:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/07/dining/20090708-pizza-interactive.html?ref=dining

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
Hi guys,

I had an exciting pizza night last night.

Hopped on a train to NYC at 8pm, and wandered over to UNA Pizza.  I got the "sorry no more dough" message probably at 9:30pm on a Thursday night.   I am sure by this time Mr Anthony  has an idea about how much dough he sells on each Thursday-Sunday - wouldn't you for the sake of making like $15 profit on each pizza make a few more doughballs?  Considering there were empty seats, also. 

The original plan was to get a marinara at UPN then eat more at Keste but I am glad that happened because I was definitely filled up at Keste.

I got the Fresca salad with baby arugala and parmigiano-reggiano and went for the golden standard margherita.

Pizza was great and I would ditto scott's sentiment about it being up there with the best pizza I have had.  I will say it was a little wet... my guess maybe just a touch too much sauce and generous amount of fresh mozzarella?  I am not sure.     

The atmosphere is neat, with nice stone wall.  I also got to walk right in and sit down which was nice, although there were just a few tables open. I was upset I couldn't see the oven very well from my seat so went over to say hello to Roberto afterwards.  Very nice guy and we talked for a few minutes about Una Pizza, Ridgewood/A Mano, pizzamaking.com (he seems to recall scpizza's note about "soul" very well). I forgot to ask what Keste means.

With regard to whether or not Keste will make it, I have no doubt.  I think part of the problem of A Mano is A) the atmosphere  - it is huge and not very inviting and now they are talking about expanding???  B) no alcohol sales, I think.  I thought I heard they can sell full bottles(????).   This is a business after all.

Overall I would highly recommend it.

Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
PC ,
Where are you again Waldwick right? Godwin Ave.I think , My neighbor. Come to Conklins Cuccina on West road in mahwah right off Fardale  no train no pain  ;D You are speaking of the new location for A mono on the corner ? you are aware they moved right?
I am in Mahwah and just have not got there yet but its coming!
John

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
I am in Godwin in Midland Park... same thing really.  Fardale... you are about 5 minutes away then  :-D

Tell me about A Mano.  I thought they were just expanding into where "Jerry's" was?  How are they going to move those ovens!!!

Busy busy weekend but I have to come see this oven of yours sometime! Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:39:25 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline vmangiacapra

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
My wife and I just had the opportunity to eat at Keste.  It was fantastic!!!!  Every ingredient Roberto uses comes together with such harmony.  The dough is light and flavorfully with great chew, the tomato, mozzarella, basil and olive oil have great balance.  Thank Roberto, see you soon.......Vincenzo 

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
The place looks great, gotta give it a try when in NYC.

Great pictures of the oven found here...does anyone know who built it?

Also, on a side note...I've been trying to find the supplier for the olive oil can found in one of the Keste pictures in the Slice Serious post.  I have seen it in pictures many times but cannot find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Got lucky & picked this up on ebay for $15 including shipping.

Offline DC8702

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
I am officially jealous...what a great find!

Offline pazzonoah

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
Heard an NPR story this morning about a pizza making contest - hearing the name Roberto caught my attention so I listened to the rest of the story figuring it involved Keste. The link can be found by googling NPR, keste and pizza contest (I don't think I have priv's to post a URL here). Some good press for Keste, even though the dough recipes submitted would be scoffed at here...I wonder if Roberto had a hard time "allowing" those pies into his oven. I know I still shudder thinking about the time my wifes friend brought over tofu pepperoni...

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Matthew,
Great Find! What topic were you searching under? what catagorey can I find one Oil Cans / Kitchen?   I got one  from frankie g and it leaks on the bottom Real PITA but they say it drip from the end ?? even if I do use it bottom wet so how can it be drip from the end?
Your Oven going great right ? I am doing 25 people today
John

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »
Matthew,
Great Find! What topic were you searching under? what catagorey can I find one Oil Cans / Kitchen?   I got one  from frankie g and it leaks on the bottom Real PITA but they say it drip from the end ?? even if I do use it bottom wet so how can it be drip from the end?
Your Oven going great right ? I am doing 25 people today
John

Hey John,
I got a little lucky on this find.  I was searching under "oil cruet" & didn't find any I liked.  I then searched under "oil can" & this baby popped up.  The oven is working fantastic!  I had a few people over yesterday & made some pretty awesome pizze.  The oven was super hot (960 floor & 1100 dome) so I had to move fast.  I made Antonino Esposito's Vesuvio pizza which was a huge hit along with his calzone's which were also out of this world.  Good luck today!

Matt

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
I don't agree with using this site as a self promotional tool,but the following has slipped under the radar and is such a beautifully written blog it needs to be read :

http://www.alifewortheating.com/nyc/keste/

http://www.alifewortheating.com/italy/a-pizza-tour-of-naples/

In fact read ALL of the Blog!These guys live to eat..

regards,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »
Hi David,

Thank you for posting the 2 links - they were great !

I am pleased that Roberto is getting good press. He was a very gracious host when I visited him a few years ago at A Mano in New Jersey.

Also, the pizza trip to Naples, Italy was pure dejavu , especially the visit to Salvo out of town.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline DC8702

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
I have been looking for an Oliera like this since this thread.  I finally found someone (on Italian Ebay) who has 3 sizes, .25L, .5L & .75L & ships to the USA.  Prices seem reasonable too at $19, $45 & $54 dollars respectively.  We'll see what shipping comes in at...

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 09:46:28 PM »
Pics and details mayba a link please dC. I dont favor the ones for %25 on american ebay Got the frankie G/forno bravo oil can but its leaking a bit
John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
keste' pizza is absolutely delicious ! we were there last Wednesday and ha two delicious pizzas. roberto sent us a appetizer that was made out of his dough and covered with figs and a salty creamy cheese mixture and topped with mozzarella . it was great , i wish i had that recipe. enclosed is a pic of my  pizza, i phone quality not great. the pie sure was!

pizzapan