Author Topic: Neapolitan BGE Style  (Read 2950 times)

Offline rsimon719

Neapolitan BGE Style
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
The weather was great this evening and I was able to try a batch of dough I made with my newly aquired Caputo flour on my big green egg.  :chef:

My wife and I thought it was to die for! Cooked in about 2 minutes and was perfectly done.  :P

Thanks for all the great posts and advice/recipies given on this board. You are all GREAT!

- Rich

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Neapolitan BGE Style
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
Now that's a fantastic looking pizza, rsimon!

A job well done.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Thank you!

Got two more dough balls in the fridge for tomorrow or the next day. I'll see how long I can go with it.  :chef:
- Rich

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
Those look great. Yum!!
I'd love to hear what your dough recipe is for those.  :pizza:

Chris

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »
Those look great. Yum!!
I'd love to hear what your dough recipe is for those.  :pizza:

Chris

Thanks!

The dough recipe in %'s is as follows:

100.00%  Caputo Pizzaria Flour
58.00%    Purified Water
1.90%      EVOO
2.40%      Sea Salt
0.30%      Active Dry Yeast

I bloom the yeast in about 1/4 cup of water with a little bit of the flour in there. I then mix all the ingredients (2/3 of the flour) and all but the salt. I let that rest for 20 minutes and then mix the salt into the dough along with the final 1/3 of the flour and then knead it until it is nice and smooth.  I then let it rest for another 20 minutes and then divided it into balls and put into oiled bowls in the fridge.

I took them out about 3 hours before use and reballed them after they came up to room temp. I let them bench proof before using.
- Rich

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:42:21 AM »
Thanks Rich - I have to try a fridge fermentation. Looks like its working for you. Keep on cooking!
:)
Chris

Offline s00da

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »
Thanks!

The dough recipe in %'s is as follows:

100.00%  Caputo Pizzaria Flour
58.00%    Purified Water
1.90%      EVOO
2.40%      Sea Salt
0.30%      Active Dry Yeast

I bloom the yeast in about 1/4 cup of water with a little bit of the flour in there. I then mix all the ingredients (2/3 of the flour) and all but the salt. I let that rest for 20 minutes and then mix the salt into the dough along with the final 1/3 of the flour and then knead it until it is nice and smooth.  I then let it rest for another 20 minutes and then divided it into balls and put into oiled bowls in the fridge.

I took them out about 3 hours before use and reballed them after they came up to room temp. I let them bench proof before using.

These are beautiful Simon. I know others are struggling to bring the temperature up to properly cook the top of the pizza while yours look well balanced. Have you done anything to balance the top and bottom temps?

One more thing, you are using oil in a high-temp cooking environment? are you looking to enhance the flavor only?

s00da
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:56:49 AM by s00da »

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:49:41 AM »
These are beautiful Simon. I know others are struggling to bring the temperature up to properly cook the top of the pizza while yours look well balanced. Have you done anything to balance the top and bottom temps?

One more thing, you are using oil in a high-temp cooking environment? are you looking to enhance the flavor only?

s00da

Thank you!

I have the XL and the pizza stone sat too low when put on the plate setter, so I used 3 copper spacers to raise the pizza stone 2". That allowed the pizza stone to float and truely preheat on its own instead of transfering heat from the plate setter and also positioned it closer to the dome of the lid to help the top cook more even.

The oil was added because that was in the recipe I found on the forums here for a cold fermentation. I played with the percents a little, but I figure I will experiment some on the next batch. I don't think the oil caused any issues and it does add to the flavor a bit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:39:51 AM by rsimon719 »
- Rich

Offline artigiano

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »
great looking pies!

Offline s00da

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:52:10 AM »
Thank you!

I have the XL and the pizza stone sat too low when put on the plate setter, so I used 3 copper spacers to raise the pizza stone 2'. That allowed the pizza stone to float and truely preheat on its own instead of transfering heat from the plate setter and also positioned it closer to the dome of the lid to help the top cook more even.

The oil was added because that was in the recipe I found on the forums here for a cold fermentation. I played with the percents a little, but I figure I will experiment some on the next batch. I don't think the oil caused any issues and it does add to the flavor a bit.

I think you nailed the positioning of the stone, well done.

As for the oil, it's usually used for low-temp pizza baking to compensate for the lost moisture during the prolonged baking time. If you're pizza are baked within 2-2:30 minutes, I believe you can drop the oil and see how that works for you.

I really wonder if the use of oil affects the crumb texture when baking in high-temp as I've never used it in my recipe.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
I think you nailed the positioning of the stone, well done.

As for the oil, it's usually used for low-temp pizza baking to compensate for the lost moisture during the prolonged baking time. If you're pizza are baked within 2-2:30 minutes, I believe you can drop the oil and see how that works for you.

I really wonder if the use of oil affects the crumb texture when baking in high-temp as I've never used it in my recipe.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot on the next batch and see what happens.  :chef:

I do know that besides holding the moisture better, oil helps keep the gluten from being too chewy and of course taste. But this was my first use of the recipe and of course I am always open to changing to try out different things. ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:44:10 AM by rsimon719 »
- Rich

Offline s00da

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:07:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot on the next batch and see what happens.  :chef:

I do know that besides holding the moisture better, oil helps keep the gluten from being too chewy and of course taste. But this was my first use of the recipe and of course I am always open to changing to try out different things. ;)

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out  :D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
Beautiful!  I've never seen that kind of coloration or crumb from pure Caputo.  Of course, I haven't cooked with it myself; I'm just going by all the pics I've seen here.  Was the crust chewy like NY or delicate like Neapolitan?  I only ask because the photos look a little NY.  (By the way, that's a compliment in my book...)  ;D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
Beautiful!  I've never seen that kind of coloration or crumb from pure Caputo.  Of course, I haven't cooked with it myself; I'm just going by all the pics I've seen here.  Was the crust chewy like NY or delicate like Neapolitan?  I only ask because the photos look a little NY.  (By the way, that's a compliment in my book...)  ;D

Thanks GB! I am not sure how the crust is with caputo for others here as I haven't tasted them. This crust was not as chewy as the one I make with starter and KASL, but it was not bready at all and had a nice crisp exterior with a soft inside. I thought it had a nice amount of chew (and I do like a chewy crust as well). I felt it was a more delicate crust than the ones I make for NY style.

We are in fact getting ready to put the remaining two pies on the BGE here in an hour or so. Just started the fire. :P
- Rich

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »
Glutenboy,  the coloration is the evoo.... very rare in a 100% caputo dough,  not that that makes it wrong.  A-16 uses it,  along with cold fermentation as well.  -marc

pizzapan