Author Topic: no knead focaccia !  (Read 5637 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
no knead focaccia !
« on: July 24, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
this was a test that i made, and it worked very well !!!

1kg flour
750ml water
5g IDY
20g salt

mix and let it out for 45minutes then 36 to 48h in the fridge...

take a look at the pics, this was made in a regular oven....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: no knead focaccia !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »
andreguidon,
Your focaccia looks delicious!  I could eat a slice right now.
Do you mind telling me what temperature you baked the focaccia?
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
my oven was set to 250-280C or 480-530F.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »
andreguidan,
Thank you for the information about the oven.  I will try your recipe and see if I can make the focaccia.
Your way of making focaccia sounds great and your results look delicious!
Norma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
thanks norma !!! let me know how it goes....

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
Andre,

Can you tell us the dimensions of the pan you used? That will allow us to calculate the thickness factor and scale the recipe up or down.

Thanks.

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
hey pete.

1 batch for a 27 X 42 cm pan.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
Andre,

Thank you.

Your dough recipe makes 1775 grams (62.61 ounces) of dough (1000 grams of flour, 750 ml/grams of water, 5 grams of IDY and 20 grams of salt). If you are using a 27 x 42 cm pan, which converts to 10.629921 x 16.53433 inches, I calculate a thickness factor of 62.61/(10.629921 x 16.53433), or 0.3562034. If I got it right, that is the thickness factor number that one would use in one of the dough calculating tools to scale the recipe up or down.

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »
that sounds about right.... its very wet dough, so i try to keep the thickness equal wen spreading... something that helps is using some olive oil on my hands.... and use allot in the pan !!!! thats part of the focaccia taste.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:34 PM »
Andre and Peter,
Thank you both for the information.  I will post a picture when I try this recipe.
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
andreguidon,

I want to thank you for posting this recipe.  It's taken me a long time to finally try the no knead focaccia, but used your basic forumla to try 3 pies today.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
they look nice Norma !!
did you like them ?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
did you like them ?

andreguidon,

They were great!  I made 3 kinds.  One with mozzarella, caramelized onions, sauce and bread crumbs, the second with sun-dried tomatoes and olive oil with infused herbs, and the third dough I added cinnamon, sugar and raisins before baking.  After baking the third, I drizzled with a mixture of confectionery sugar, vanilla,butter and a little milk.  I just had a microwaved slice of the third this morning and the taste is great.  It reminded me of a cinnamon bread.  I could imagine adding nuts and might try that next time. 

Thanks again for posting the recipe and saying they looked nice,

Norma

Offline Polymandius

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
Norma, may I please talk you out of a little info on the 3rd?

I am very curious about the quantity of cinnamon & sugar you used in the dough and the proportion of ingredients you used for the topping?

My mouth quite literally started watering when I looked at the photo & read the description!

I've never tried to make a desert pizza, but I plan to now!

andreguidon,

They were great!  I made 3 kinds.  One with mozzarella, caramelized onions, sauce and bread crumbs, the second with sun-dried tomatoes and olive oil with infused herbs, and the third dough I added cinnamon, sugar and raisins before baking.  After baking the third, I drizzled with a mixture of confectionery sugar, vanilla,butter and a little milk.  I just had a microwaved slice of the third this morning and the taste is great.  It reminded me of a cinnamon bread.  I could imagine adding nuts and might try that next time. 

Thanks again for posting the recipe and saying they looked nice,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »

Polymandius,

I made this Sicilian style pizza or focaccia when I was using a natural starter at Reply 169 and Rely 170 You can see more pictures of the dessert pizza there.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg89606.html#msg89606

The dough used for the dessert pizza wasnít as much as used for the other two pies. I canít exactly remember now how much dough I used for that pie, but I think if you use your regular dough it should turn out about the same. I used cinnamon (a good quality), and some raisins in the dough. I think I probably used about 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon and 1 Ĺ cups of raisins. It would all depend on how strong your cinnamon is. No sugar was used in the dough.  Then I mixed confectionery sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk to drizzle over the pie.  Sorry, I donít remember exactly how much I used, but if you search the web for any standard recipe for a basic cake icing using these ingredients you should be able to come up with about the same toppings. I think I used about 4 tablespoons butter, Ĺ teaspoon vanilla, about 2 Ĺ cups confectionery sugar and just added a little milk so it got to the consistency of being able to run. I used a plastic baggie and cut a small hole in the corner and then just drizzle it over the pie.  The pie should be cool though when applying the icing or it will melt into the crust.

You could also look at the dessert pizzas on the challenge on this forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9190.msg79384.html#msg79384 If you look though that challenge you might get some ideas for a dessert pizza. I also used the icing like topping for the apple snitz pie I made there.  Peter also made PJís apple pie pizza and made icing for his pie.

I found while using the deep-dish pans this was the easiest way to make Sicilian style.  I still use the deep-dish pans for the Sicilian.

Sorry, I canít remember all the details of what I used in that pie.
Hope this helps,

Norma

Offline Polymandius

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Yes, actually it is fantastic. General guidelines work very well for me. The "icing" is very similar to that my grandmother was making over 40 years ago. Reading your description, I can probably reproduce it.

Most of the time I consider desert pizzas to be mmmm... a form of aberation. But that opinion is now open to be changed! You see.... I LOVE rasin bread. The photos of your creation hit me "just right".

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Polymandius,

I made this Sicilian style pizza or focaccia when I was using a natural starter at Reply 169 and Rely 170 You can see more pictures of the dessert pizza there.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg89606.html#msg89606

The dough used for the dessert pizza wasnít as much as used for the other two pies. I canít exactly remember now how much dough I used for that pie, but I think if you use your regular dough it should turn out about the same. I used cinnamon (a good quality), and some raisins in the dough. I think I probably used about 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon and 1 Ĺ cups of raisins. It would all depend on how strong your cinnamon is. No sugar was used in the dough.  Then I mixed confectionery sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk to drizzle over the pie.  Sorry, I donít remember exactly how much I used, but if you search the web for any standard recipe for a basic cake icing using these ingredients you should be able to come up with about the same toppings. I think I used about 4 tablespoons butter, Ĺ teaspoon vanilla, about 2 Ĺ cups confectionery sugar and just added a little milk so it got to the consistency of being able to run. I used a plastic baggie and cut a small hole in the corner and then just drizzle it over the pie.  The pie should be cool though when applying the icing or it will melt into the crust.

You could also look at the dessert pizzas on the challenge on this forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9190.msg79384.html#msg79384 If you look though that challenge you might get some ideas for a dessert pizza. I also used the icing like topping for the apple snitz pie I made there.  Peter also made PJís apple pie pizza and made icing for his pie.

I found while using the deep-dish pans this was the easiest way to make Sicilian style.  I still use the deep-dish pans for the Sicilian.

Sorry, I canít remember all the details of what I used in that pie.
Hope this helps,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
Yes, actually it is fantastic. General guidelines work very well for me. The "icing" is very similar to that my grandmother was making over 40 years ago. Reading your description, I can probably reproduce it.

Most of the time I consider desert pizzas to be mmmm... a form of aberation. But that opinion is now open to be changed! You see.... I LOVE rasin bread. The photos of your creation hit me "just right".

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Polymandius,

Yes, that is a basic recipe just like your grandmother used for cakes.  I also use that recipe for many cakes.  If you want my whole recipe for cakes, just let me know and I will dig it out. 

I found while making the dessert pizzas there were great.

Hope yours turns out well!  :)

Glad to be able to help,

Norma

pizzapan