Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 1423 times)

Offline s00da

Tonight's Pie
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
using 18" Gold Medal Better for Bread + http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8988.0.html + Local fresh mozzarella (which turned to be a big dissapointment, it browned too quick) + hot sausage links

With this dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg77175.html#msg77175
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:17:11 PM by s00da »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
Saad,

The pizza looks good but please tell us how you liked it.

Peter

Offline s00da

Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
Thanks Pete, I loved this pizza. Actually I've been away from my Neapolitan pizza cuz of this  ;D Because we never had bread flour here and also because I never tasted an 18" made with higher-gluten flour, I was never able to know what to shoot for and how to use this flour properly. But now I guess I hit the spot; with proper fermentation the crust is just amazing. There is this fine layer of crisp/crunch at the bottom and then a chewy/fluffy crumb. The flavor of the bread flour with 24 hours fermentation is just something different eventhough I used IDY while I'm used to the Ischia in all my doughs. My initial attempts using bread flour were very bad as I didn't get the dough to properly ferment and I always had very chewy/leathery crust that worked out my jaws. This dough when I first started stretching it today, I knew it was right. When I push it against the marble surface, I can feel something being crushed inside. Like the air voids are collabsing and popping inside. Then the dent where i pressed will not spring back out! It was very friendly all the way to 19". Amazing extensibility with little elasticity,

I learned how different is bread flour from 00 or the local AP I used in terms of yeast quantity needed and fermentation time. Also mixing, my mixer didn't help much so I had to increase mixing time. This is why I asked you in the other post http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9027.msg78048.html#msg78048 as I want to better understand the contribution of fermentation+kneading in develop the proper characteristics in order to enhance my preparation method.

One more thing, baking this kind of pie does no require excessive temperature. I tried it in the range of 600-900 F and I found out that it will develop a good pie from 700 up to 900 F without resulting in a dry crust unlke a Neapolitan pizza dough that needs a temp. of 850 F minimum. Thus I don't see the need to use oil.

Yes I just noticed, in the first picture...that's a diet pepsi can with arabic writing :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:55:56 PM by s00da »

pizzapan