Author Topic: Requesting Advice on Scale Brands  (Read 11428 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Requesting Advice on Scale Brands
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 03:32:53 PM »
Not too long ago, I bought a My Weigh 300-Z such as shown here: http://www.myweigh.com/pocketscales_120z.html. I bought it (on eBay) mainly to weigh out very small amounts of lightweight ingredients like yeast, salt, sugar, etc. Previously I converted the weights of these items to volumes (using conversion data) since my regular scale (a Soehnle digital scale) could not accurately weigh these items, if at all, especially in the case of dry yeast. The 300-Z is a nice scale but I discovered that my conversion data did a pretty nice job of converting to volumes that I really couldn't detect much of a difference.

Peter

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 11:30:44 PM »
I just tried out my new scale I got from ebay.  It's a Salter Stainless Steel Kitchen Scale Model#1008.  It has a tare function, zero out button, does lbs, grams, kg, and ounces at a .05 ounce increments.  It worked very well.  I got it for $29.99, which seems like a bargain.  The scales I've seen online that can have .05 ounce accuracy are well over $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4452633577&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:US:1

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
I just tried out my new scale I got from ebay.  It's a Salter Stainless Steel Kitchen Scale Model#1008.  It has a tare function, zero out button, does lbs, grams, kg, and ounces at a .05 ounce increments.  It worked very well.  I got it for $29.99, which seems like a bargain.  The scales I've seen online that can have .05 ounce accuracy are well over $50.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4452633577&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:US:1

I bought a similar Salter scale on ebay (about the same price too) and have been very happy with it.

Jack

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:22 PM »
Any thoughts on the  MyWeigh i5000?

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 09:00:57 AM »
I just bought a My Weigh 7001DX and I love it...nice size and really works well..has a tare function and a hold function!!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
Not too long ago, I bought a My Weigh 300-Z such as shown here: http://www.my weigh.com/pocketscales_120z.html. I bought it (on eBay) mainly to weigh out very small amounts of lightweight ingredients like yeast, salt, sugar, etc. Previously I converted the weights of these items to volumes (using conversion data) since my regular scale (a Soehnle digital scale) could not accurately weigh these items, if at all, especially in the case of dry yeast. The 300-Z is a nice scale but I discovered that my conversion data did a pretty nice job of converting to volumes that I really couldn't detect much of a difference.

Peter

Hi Pete,
What conversion data do you use to convert to volume on small amounts?  Like you, I am thinking of purchasing a 400-z (replaces 300-z) for the smaller measurements.  I am also looking at replacing my current scale with a Myweigh i5000.  It has received some pretty rave reviews & it seems to be the scale of choice in many restaurants & cooking schools.  I'm kind of torn between that & the KD7000 as they are similar in price. ???

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
What conversion data do you use to convert to volume on small amounts?

Matt,

My conversion data in general comes from various sources. My favorite place and the one I go to first is the nutritiondata.com website. Since that site doesn't cover every food ingredient, I use the information on labels of ingredients even though the numbers aren't the most accurate because of rounding and other possible factors. For ingredients for which I am unable to find any weight/volume information, or for items like dried oregano or basil from my own plants, I use the 300-Z scale. I will also use that scale to cross check the data from various sources to see how well they compare. Most of the conversion data I have collected over the past few years has found its way into the various dough calculating tools (http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html). The expanded dough calculating tool, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, has the most pizza-related ingredients listed--over forty. In some case, like vital wheat gluten, where there are multiple brands, I average the numbers. Some items, like sugar, are also generic and can mean ordinary table sugar, raw sugar, light brown sugar and dark brown sugar (the labeling information is generally the same). I have found the volumetric data on many of the items to be accurate enough that I don't use my 300-Z scale to weight them. This includes yeast, salt and sugar and most other ingredients used in small quantities. If there is a lot of oil, I weigh it; otherwise, I use the volume measurements. There are a few items that can't be weighed on my 300-Z scale because they are outside of the range of the scale or I am not sure of the reliability of the reading. An example would be 1/64 or 1/128 teaspoon of yeast. For items like that, I use mini-measuring spoons such as those shown at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5583.msg47264.html#msg47264.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
Thank Pete,
A great help as always.

Matt ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Escali,
simple, east to use, and cheap dont have a link or anything google ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline 454Casull

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
I have this one:

(append the following to the dealextreme site URL) "details.dx/sku.3390"

The display is bright, though the numbers are not particularly large. It does do tenths of a gram, and precision is +/- 0.2g based on my limited testing. Precision is higher when the weights are centered on the plate. I have not calibrated it with a weight, so I cannot say anything about accuracy, but I do have high hopes. Perhaps some water will do it...

pizzapan