Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 174306 times)

Offline desant89

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #980 on: April 02, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
One pic did not make it on the last post...

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #981 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »
That looks really good, and very similar to what I had at Macks last year, IIRC.
I wish I could have had a slice of that! :D

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #982 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
I've had Manco & Manco pizza twice in the last week, in Somers Point and on the OC boards.  There is a strong oregano bite in their sauce, just like Mack's.   The only real difference between Mack's and M&M is that Mack's has recently started throwing some additional cheese on top after they apply the sauce.  The extra cheese does change the flavor profile.   I have been eating both pies for over 40 years - their family ties and Trenton roots are undeniable.

One funny thing, i had a strange pie on the boards last week that had no apparent cheddar tang in the cheese.  An anomaly, or a slight change in recipe with the name change?

Offline desant89

« Reply #983 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
I've had Manco & Manco pizza twice in the last week, in Somers Point and on the OC boards.  There is a strong oregano bite in their sauce, just like Mack's.   The only real difference between Mack's and M&M is that Mack's has recently started throwing some additional cheese on top after they apply the sauce.  The extra cheese does change the flavor profile.   I have been eating both pies for over 40 years - their family ties and Trenton roots are undeniable.

One funny thing, i had a strange pie on the boards last week that had no apparent cheddar tang in the cheese.  An anomaly, or a slight change in recipe with the name change?

Recipe surely did not change for M&M.  I had friends that were there yesterday.  We go probably 20x a year on the bikes just to eat and run.  Maybe my oregano tasting is a bit off.  I have to go again now that I am looking for an oregano taste.  I just had it in my head that oregano would make it bitter., and never noticed a bitter taste.  All I know is I am loving trying all of these different scenarios.  I will never get tired of pizza!

Offline desant89

« Reply #984 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
oh, and I also wanted to mention the comparison between M&M, and Mack's.  I know there is a relation, but I do not think the taste is even close.  Actually myself, and about 15 other people who will go anywhere within 3 hours on a bike to eat a pizza that someone tells us is good all agree.  None of us care for Mack's in WW, and we all think that it is extremely greasy.  However, we all say that M&M is our #1 pie.  And if I do go to WW, we get Sam's.

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #985 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Sams used to be good in the 60's and 70's and 80's, when the old man ,Sal (Sam), ran it.  Sal has dementia, and his son and nephew run it.  In recent years, the size of the pie has shrunk at least an inch in diameter and the cheese on top is two inches from the  edge of the crust.
They have changed their cheese to a cheaper, plastic-like, mozzarella.  I used to love Sam's, too.  Now it's doughy and dry and almost sauceless.

Unfortunately, all things change.  Mack's has, Grotto has, Sam's has, and so has M&M.     Several recent M&M pies were not cracker-like, and were able to be folded , like a NY pie.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #986 on: April 08, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »
Well, for the good news and the bad news (from me on this thread), is I visited Samís Pizza, Mackís and Manco and Manco and took lots of pictures and also pictures of Wildwood and Ocean City  ;D, but for some reason which is beyond me, my memory stick is holding the pictures and videos, but every time I go to try to get them on my computer they are there, but it keeps saying an error occurred while saving pictures.  I donít know what is wrong and donĎt know how to fix the error.  :( I guess I wonít be able to post any pictures of any other pizzas I make until I figure out what is wrong.  This never happened before.  ??? I worked on that darn picture uploading for hours.  :-D

I even got videos of the pieman at Manco and Manco opening up 2 dough balls at once.  Mackís, Samís and Manco and Manco were very busy yesterday.  

All the pictures I have right now is 2 pictures I took with my cell phone of the ocean and my daughters and my dog at the beach in Wildwood, NJ.

The other news is I do have a favorite between Samís, Mackís, and Manco and Manco, at least for the one day I visited Samís, Mackís, and Manco and Manco.  

The one thing I really found interesting is I saw Mackís oven temperatures were fluctuating between 505 degrees F and 509 degrees F and there was a new pieman that just started yesterday.  The new pieman was almost tearing the skin every time he opened the dough balls.  I asked the new pieman if it matters is the dough is torn and he said no, that it easily can be patched which I saw.  That was on my first visit to Mackís.  After we walked the entire boardwalk we went back to Mackís. The new pieman was still tearing some of the dough balls he was opening, but he learned really quickly how to twirl the skins into the air.  I thought that was amazing, even though the dough skins were torn.  8) My pie slices was a lot crisper on the rim of the crust yesterday at Mackís than when I had visited before.

If there are any questions, just ask.

Norma  
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline franko9752

« Reply #987 on: April 08, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
Dang, it would'a been great to see the pics and vidieos :'(    Maybe the salty air from the ocean messed up the memory card in camera.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #988 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
I guess even cameras get Alzheimers!

So, how can you say you have a favorite among the three and then not tell us? >:D  Perspiring minds want to know! :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
Dang, it would'a been great to see the pics and vidieos :'(    Maybe the salty air from the ocean messed up the memory card in camera.

franko9752,

I will try more with the pictures and videos at home and if I can't get them uploaded, I will take the memory card somewhere and try to get a disk made.

I see the pictures and videos come on my computer, but for some reason an error occurs. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #990 on: April 08, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
I guess even cameras get Alzheimer's!

So, how can you say you have a favorite among the three and then not tell us? >:D  Perspiring minds want to know! :-D

Steve,

I don't think my camera has Alzheimer's, but maybe my computer does.   :-D  :-\

Yesterday my favorite was Mack's, because it had a different texture to the crust than I ever remembered before and the sauce and cheese seemed right for me.  ;D

I have two slices frozen for you to try Tuesday.

Norma   

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #991 on: April 08, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
Thanks Norma! I can hardly wait! ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #992 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
I think I tricked the bugger of the memory card into letting it upload pictures on my computer.  >:D I thought I had tried all different ways, but then thought about trying to use my daughters camera and use her cord to hook to the back of the computer (instead of inserting the memory stick into the front of the computer), but that didnít work either. :o  As a last resort as soon as the pictures and videos from yesterday started uploading I clicked import.  That made way to many pictures import, but at least all the pictures and videos were there from yesterday are now on my computer.  

These are only the videos from yesterday.  It will take me awhile to resize all the pictures and I soon have to get started to make some things to take to my granddaughters for Easter dinner. The video at Mackís was taken early, about 11:30 am in the morning, and I asked if I could take pictures first. Mackís wasnít that busy late in the morning. The piemen said yes I could take pictures, but as can be heard on the video at the end the one pieman said Maíam and that meant I guess I shouldnít take any more of the video or pictures.  It canít be seen on the video that the skins were tearing, but on the pictures I will post later, I think the torn skins can be seen.  The new pieman was on the right in the video.

I wonder who said on this thread that they might pay for watching a video of a pieman opening two skins at once.  ;D The videos arenít that good, because there were taken from outside Manco and Manco, and it has to be watched closely to see the pieman take the two skins apart after he twirls the pies, but I got a decent view of the pieman at Manco and Manco opening two doughs at once.  The line was way to long to go inside.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2OY_toHYY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2OY_toHYY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tOqArkbj6Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tOqArkbj6Q</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgSNbgdPXY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgSNbgdPXY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0JBfZm1u0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0JBfZm1u0</a>

Norma
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:01:12 AM by norma427 »

Offline franko9752

« Reply #993 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
I could see the tear in the skin.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #994 on: April 09, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
This thread is already long enough, so if anyone is interested I started a new thread under Pizzeria and Restaurant Reviews with pictures of my visit to MackĎs, SamĎs and Manco and Manco.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18608.0.html

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
Steve and I reheated some of the slices of Mackís and Manco and Manco yesterday that I had frozen.  When the slices were unfrozen and reheated they didnít taste anything like the slices I ate on Saturday.  Steve took home 2 slices to try in a reheat, but as far as I am concerned those slices when having a reheat could be pitched under the boardwalk.  :-D  Steve thought the Manco and Manco slice was the Mackís slice.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:30:51 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #996 on: April 11, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #997 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #998 on: April 11, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Norma,

Thanks so much for this great thread searching for that elusive holy grail of pizzadom - Mack's recipe. I have been following it since the beginning.

You were right to suggest a move to Pizzeria Reviews in response to some recent posts. 

Let's stay focused on the purpose of this thread and get this mystery solved.  We still have to investigate this Masonville lead.

btw, i skipped both Mack's and M&M this week and drove to Robbinsville for some DeLorenzo's.  Had to get back to the roots.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
Norma,

Thanks so much for this great thread searching for that elusive holy grail of pizzadom - Mack's recipe. I have been following it since the beginning.

You were right to suggest a move to Pizzeria Reviews in response to some recent posts. 

Let's stay focused on the purpose of this thread and get this mystery solved.  We still have to investigate this Masonville lead.

btw, i skipped both Mack's and M&M this week and drove to Robbinsville for some DeLorenzo's.  Had to get back to the roots.

BOARDWALKER ,

I agree with your other post at Reply 982 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg179990.html#msg179990 that Mancos and Manco pie did change the flavor profile from the extra amount of cheese they use compared to Mackís.  Since I never tried the Manco and Manco pizza before, I have no idea how it tasted before.  I also noticed that the slices didnít have as much tang in the cheese taste as there was in Mackís slices I ate.  I donít know what is going on with that.  On the pictures I posted at the Pizzeria and Resturant reviews it can be seen that there is more cheese, or either in bigger clumps and not spread out as well and sure donít know if that changes the flavor profile or not.  Getting back to the Trenton rootís it seems like DeLorenzoís also put the sauce and cheese differently on their pies.  I think each member that is interested in trying to clone a Mackís or Manco and Manco pizza might each say they like either Mackís or Manco and Manco pizza better.  The smell outside of Mackís and Mancos and Mancos are exactly the same to me though.  I think it is the cheese I smell, but could be wrong.

I have a friend in Trenton that told me he tried Great Lakes sharp cheddar (purchased at Shop Rite in NJ) and also blended it with Monterey Jack cheese and that almost tasted like Mackís pizza.  On our way going into Wildwood we were going to stop at Shop Rite and purchase some Great Lakes sharp cheddar, but I didnít have a cooler along to keep the cheese.  On the way home we just hit the Garden State Parkway and then didnít see any Shop Rites, so I didnít get to purchase any of the Great Lakes sharp cheddar.  I am going to look for the Great Lakes sharp cheddar in my area. 

As far as the Masonville lead, I am still not sure if I want to purchase a 42 lb. block of that cheese.  That is a lot of cheddar to purchase.

Norma

pizzapan