Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 246031 times)

Offline BOARDWALKER

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
You are so right about the smell!, er, aroma.

I have also found that McAdam Sharp Cheddar (also at ShopRite) melts more like a mozzarella than a cheddar and is similar to M -M&M for home users.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »
You are so right about the smell!, er, aroma.

I have also found that McAdam Sharp Cheddar (also at ShopRite) melts more like a mozzarella than a cheddar and is similar to M -M&M for home users.

BOARDWALKER,

I agree so much about the aroma outside of Mackís and Manco and Manco.  I remember that same aroma from when I was young.  I thought maybe I was the only crazy person that thought that aroma was different from other pizzerias.  :-D  Glad you also think the same.  ;D

Thanks for  posting about the McAdam Sharp cheddar at Shop Rite.  That will help other members that might have access to that cheddar.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: May 06, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »
I follow this facebook page to see old pictures of Wildwood and present pictures.  They just posted a picture of Mackís pizza today.  Sounds yummy to me.  ;D  Oh, that cheesy goodness.  :-D I always like to look at the comments if they post about Mackís pizza or another boardwalk pizza.  Seems the one Mackís pizza businesses near Wildwood Crest (Robert Ave.) is getting a redo too.
http://www.wildwoods365.com

If anyone has a facebook page they can also like in the above link and it will tell about Wildwood every day.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:18:04 PM by norma427 »

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #1003 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
Personally ate four slices for lunch on Friday. Had an uncharacteristic hint of garlic.  Great, nonetheless.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: May 06, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
Personally ate four slices for lunch on Friday. Had an uncharacteristic hint of garlic.  Great, nonetheless.

BOARDWALKER,

Great to hear you ate four slices of Mack's pizza on Friday.  I never remembered Mack's pizza ever having a garlic hint.  Did you ever taste a slice of Mack's pizza with a hint of garlic before?

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #1005 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »
No, i have never tasted any garlic in a Mack's before, but it was pretty distinct.   Maybe it just
was a new summer employee adding an unauthorized ingredient. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1006 on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
No, i have never tasted any garlic in a Mack's before, but it was pretty distinct.   Maybe it just
was a new summer employee adding an unauthorized ingredient. 

BOARDWALKER,

You post makes me wonder now if any garlic is put into the sauce.  Maybe it was a new employee that added some garlic.

Maybe if other members or you eat some of Mack's pizza again they also can post if they tasted any garlic.

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #1007 on: May 07, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
Two years ago, i asked for a cup of their raw sauce "to dip my slices in."   It  tasted the same as watered down Gangi heavy sauce, with oregano and black pepper added.  Their was no garlic at all.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: May 07, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
Two years ago, i asked for a cup of their raw sauce "to dip my slices in."   It  tasted the same as watered down Gangi heavy sauce, with oregano and black pepper added.  Their was no garlic at all.

BOARDWALKER,

Thanks for posting that you did ask for a cup of Mack's raw sauce to dip your slices in two years ago, and you couldn't detect any garlic then.

When I was trying different attempts with the Gangi sauce Steve and I didn't add any garlic powder or any other kind of garlic either.  The sauce did taste like Mack's.

I still haven't decided if I am going to purchase any of the Masonville cheddar. 

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1009 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »
I mixed another Mackís clone attempt this morning using Peterís formulation at Reply 301 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg98561.html#msg98561  The dough is going to cold fermented until Tuesday, so I did up the percent of IDY a little.  I posted at Reply 48 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg188162.html#msg188162  that I did purchase some Nasonville cheddar cheese to try.  

Norma
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:44:06 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1010 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
The Mackís clone attempt was made yesterday and although the pizza was really good, it didnít taste like a Mackís pizza in the cheese, sauce or crust.  It had somewhat of a Mackís taste, but that isnít good enough.

The dough ball opened beautifully, was pressed out very hard (to try and keep the rim from rising), could be tossed and twirl easily, and was nice in every way.  Even though the dough was pressed out hard, the rim wanted to get some huge bubbles while in the oven, which I used the bubble popper to deflate.  There was still some rim rise as can be seen in the picture.  The rim didnít brown enough until the bottom of the crust appeared to be baked enough. 

The cheddar melted beautifully and tasted buttery and creamy on the slices, but something was missing from the taste of the cheese.  It didnít have exactly the tang as Mackís pizza cheese does.  I donít know if it was the cheese and sauce combination, or if I used too much cheddar and sauce.  There was a fairly high amount of cheddar and sauce on the pie when it was dressed. 

When I talked to the one distributor of the Nasonville cheese he told me some pizzerias want the cheddar aged more before they use it on pizzas.  I canít be sure from the dates on the Nasonville cheddar I purchased really how long the cheddar was aged, or really when it was made. 

I guess it is back to the drawing board for me for another attempt at a Mackís pizza.  I guess I have to change something in the dough formulation, but really donít know what to try, except to use shortening and really donít know how much shortening to try.  For the sauce and cheddar, I guess I would add less the next time to see if that changes the flavor profile in anyway.

All the taste testers did really like this pizza, but this wasnít a clone Mackís pizza.  I had different taste testers taste the Nasonville cheddar plain and they all said it was the creamiest cheddar they have ever tasted.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1012 on: May 23, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:24 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: May 23, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: May 23, 2012, 06:57:27 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1018 on: May 23, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
Thanks to Craig at Reply 27 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19253.msg188458.html#msg188458 about what MFB was, and Chauís results using shortening in dough to make the crusts crisper, and then also Bob1ís post at Reply 78 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18671.msg188521.html#msg188521 where to get a sample of MFB, I did send a sample request.  I got an email this morning from Steve at ConArga Foods asking why I wanted a sample of MFB, and if mistakenly didnít want to find out about frying shortening.  I had to put my distributors names on the sample request and Steven also asked me if any of my distributors carried MFB.  I said yes C.O. Nolt and Sons, Inc. does carry the CongAgra MFB all purpose shortening, but I didnít want to purchase 50 lbs. before I tried it in pizza dough.  http://www.conolt.com/categories.asp?ID=9  Steven of ConAgra Foods said he is shipping me out a sample of MFG All Purpose Shortening.  I guess I will wait until I get the sample to do another attempt.

I called C.O. Nolt & Sons, Inc. and 50 lb. costs 56.10.

Norma

Offline desant89

« Reply #1019 on: May 24, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
The Mackís clone attempt was made yesterday and although the pizza was really good, it didnít taste like a Mackís pizza in the cheese, sauce or crust.  It had somewhat of a Mackís taste, but that isnít good enough.

The dough ball opened beautifully, was pressed out very hard (to try and keep the rim from rising), could be tossed and twirl easily, and was nice in every way.  Even though the dough was pressed out hard, the rim wanted to get some huge bubbles while in the oven, which I used the bubble popper to deflate.  There was still some rim rise as can be seen in the picture.  The rim didnít brown enough until the bottom of the crust appeared to be baked enough. 

The cheddar melted beautifully and tasted buttery and creamy on the slices, but something was missing from the taste of the cheese.  It didnít have exactly the tang as Mackís pizza cheese does.  I donít know if it was the cheese and sauce combination, or if I used too much cheddar and sauce.  There was a fairly high amount of cheddar and sauce on the pie when it was dressed. 

When I talked to the one distributor of the Nasonville cheese he told me some pizzerias want the cheddar aged more before they use it on pizzas.  I canít be sure from the dates on the Nasonville cheddar I purchased really how long the cheddar was aged, or really when it was made. 

I guess it is back to the drawing board for me for another attempt at a Mackís pizza.  I guess I have to change something in the dough formulation, but really donít know what to try, except to use shortening and really donít know how much shortening to try.  For the sauce and cheddar, I guess I would add less the next time to see if that changes the flavor profile in anyway.

All the taste testers did really like this pizza, but this wasnít a clone Mackís pizza.  I had different taste testers taste the Nasonville cheddar plain and they all said it was the creamiest cheddar they have ever tasted.

Norma

Norma,

That's disheartening that it did not taste like it.  As for the dough, I got mine very close to Ma&M using lard.  The last 3 I made the dough was perfect.  Even if it was a hair off, it is not enough to even consider changing it.

As for the sauce, you did not have the correct sauce this time right?  Cause in my attempt, the sauce was definitely the right one.  Maybe can use a little more oregano, but you can clearly tell it was right.  All I did was mix the Gangi supreme super heavy pizza sauce(with basil) with some water, and lightly seasoned it.  Easily can tell it was right.  I had 3 M&M regulars test the last one with me, and we all felt the same way.

The cheese is where mine was clearly different.  I am just wondering if your sauce not being the correct one may of have changed it up much or not.  I am going to see if I can get a sample from Nasonville now.  I will let you know.  Thanks for all of your work on this!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1020 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
Norma,

That's disheartening that it did not taste like it.  As for the dough, I got mine very close to Ma&M using lard.  The last 3 I made the dough was perfect.  Even if it was a hair off, it is not enough to even consider changing it.

As for the sauce, you did not have the correct sauce this time right?  Cause in my attempt, the sauce was definitely the right one.  Maybe can use a little more oregano, but you can clearly tell it was right.  All I did was mix the Gangi supreme super heavy pizza sauce(with basil) with some water, and lightly seasoned it.  Easily can tell it was right.  I had 3 M&M regulars test the last one with me, and we all felt the same way.

The cheese is where mine was clearly different.  I am just wondering if your sauce not being the correct one may of have changed it up much or not.  I am going to see if I can get a sample from Nasonville now.  I will let you know.  Thanks for all of your work on this!

desant,

I recall you did get your dough close to Mackís and Manco & Manco using lard.  On another thread members where discussing ďold schoolĒ pizzas and it was mentioned that they could have been using shortening in their dough years ago.  That is why I want to try the MFB. 

I did have Gangi sauce, but not exactly the right one.  Steve and I tasted it plain and with added pepper, oregano and a little salt and thought it almost tasted like the other Gangi paste.  We had to also thin it because it was thick like a paste. 

I sure donít know, but think anything could have thrown the attempt off in flavor, even with the Nasonville cheddar.  I have a call into Nasonville and am waiting for a call-back to see really how long my cheddar was aged, by the dates on the box.  I donít know if that has something to do with the tang or not.  I also had a friend from Trenton, NJ call me this morning and told me he awoke during the night and tried something different.  He did get samples of the Nasonville cheddar and first tried it on a pizza and tasted it plain.  He said his Nasonville cheddar didnít have much of any flavor.  I said mine did, but still wasnít right when baked on the pizza.  He then tried Nasonville cheddar and also cracker barrel sharp cheddar in a combination of 80% Nasonville and 20% cracker barrel sharp white cheddar.  He said that cheese blend had the same taste as the pies we are discussing.  I donít know if I am going to try that blend before I get a sample of the shortening. 

I sure would be interested if you obtain a sample from Nasonville what you think when it is baked on a pizza.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1021 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »

I have a call into Nasonville and am waiting for a call-back to see really how long my cheddar was aged, by the dates on the box.  I donít know if that has something to do with the tang or not.    

If anyone is interested this is what the man from Nasonville had to say about the cheddar at Reply 60

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg188862.html#msg188862

Norma

Offline eiram21

« Reply #1022 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
Hi Norma,
Maybe it's just me, but I think the cheese on the Manco pie is the easiest part to replicate. I've used a combination of MILD white cheddar (any brand) and hand shredded whole milk mozz cheese, piled loosely on the pie to get that oozy combination with the sauce after cooked. I've read that buying preshredded cheese is a no-no since it is often coated in cornstarch (?) or something that prevents it from sticking together and also prevents it from melting nicely.

May I ask for to post your final dough formulation and proofing method? I'd love to take a stab at this at home if possible.

I've also noticed that their oven temperatures vary according to season. When we go in the summer, the ovens are set to high 400s, whereas in the spring when it is cooler, the temps are closer to 500.  I should also note that I'm talking about Manco and Manco pizza, not Macks....and the restaurant is not air conditioned as it is very much open to the boardwalk, making it difficult to use any type of climate control especially considering the number of ovens they have operating.

My apologies if this thread is devoted solely to Macks....I higly prefer Manco and Manco pizza over Macks..
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1023 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
Marie,

I am glad you think the easiest part to replicate is the cheese.  I would agree that mild cheddar and a decent mozzarella would make a good melting cheese when baked on a pizza.  Do you think your cheese blend does have the same taste as Manco and Manco pies?

This thread isnít just devoted to Mackís pizza.  It also includes Manco and Manco. 

Thanks for posting that you saw different oven temperatures at Manco and Manco according to the season.  I never saw the oven temperatures at Manco and Manco, but did see at Mackís the oven temperatures are also different.  The kind of ovens they bake in are a lot different than home oven though, and even different than my small deck oven.  I know about the climate control and know both Mackís and Manco and Manco are just opened. 

The last formulation I tried was from Peterís formulation at Reply 301 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg98561.html#msg98561 Peter also posted a very good formulation at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472   rayjock posted at Reply 323 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100084.html#msg100084 the process of making a Mackís dough and the time it was left to ferment and also what was added to the sauce.  If you are interested you can see what Peter posted at Reply 326 about  maybe what Mackís process might be.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100173.html#msg100173 

I also had decent results at home using the formulation I posted at Reply 341 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100438.html#msg100438  I also tried that formulation out in my deck oven and the results are at Reply 366 and next posts  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg102867.html#msg102867 I also have other formulations posted. If you want any of the other ones, let me know.  I still didnít try a same day dough. I have to read over this thread when I find time and see all what was posted.

I donít know what kind of flour you have to work with, but all the formulations on this thread seem to be strong and can be tossed and twirled and are easy to work with.  I usually use a high gluten bleached and bromated flour, but Peter had good results using a flour that wasnít bleach and bromated, but did use VWG.   The proofing method (cold ferment) will depend on how much IDY you use.  The dough can be left to warm-up for awhile at regular room temperatures, probably up to 2 Ĺ hrs. if the ambient room temperature isnít too hot.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1024 on: May 26, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Norma,
I had the Mack and Manco a year ago and was not studying it that well, but from memory I think you may be happy with the Grande Cheddar blend / Grande East Coast mix.

Bob

pizzapan