Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 182891 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1020 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
Norma,

That's disheartening that it did not taste like it.  As for the dough, I got mine very close to Ma&M using lard.  The last 3 I made the dough was perfect.  Even if it was a hair off, it is not enough to even consider changing it.

As for the sauce, you did not have the correct sauce this time right?  Cause in my attempt, the sauce was definitely the right one.  Maybe can use a little more oregano, but you can clearly tell it was right.  All I did was mix the Gangi supreme super heavy pizza sauce(with basil) with some water, and lightly seasoned it.  Easily can tell it was right.  I had 3 M&M regulars test the last one with me, and we all felt the same way.

The cheese is where mine was clearly different.  I am just wondering if your sauce not being the correct one may of have changed it up much or not.  I am going to see if I can get a sample from Nasonville now.  I will let you know.  Thanks for all of your work on this!

desant,

I recall you did get your dough close to Mack’s and Manco & Manco using lard.  On another thread members where discussing “old school” pizzas and it was mentioned that they could have been using shortening in their dough years ago.  That is why I want to try the MFB. 

I did have Gangi sauce, but not exactly the right one.  Steve and I tasted it plain and with added pepper, oregano and a little salt and thought it almost tasted like the other Gangi paste.  We had to also thin it because it was thick like a paste. 

I sure don’t know, but think anything could have thrown the attempt off in flavor, even with the Nasonville cheddar.  I have a call into Nasonville and am waiting for a call-back to see really how long my cheddar was aged, by the dates on the box.  I don’t know if that has something to do with the tang or not.  I also had a friend from Trenton, NJ call me this morning and told me he awoke during the night and tried something different.  He did get samples of the Nasonville cheddar and first tried it on a pizza and tasted it plain.  He said his Nasonville cheddar didn’t have much of any flavor.  I said mine did, but still wasn’t right when baked on the pizza.  He then tried Nasonville cheddar and also cracker barrel sharp cheddar in a combination of 80% Nasonville and 20% cracker barrel sharp white cheddar.  He said that cheese blend had the same taste as the pies we are discussing.  I don’t know if I am going to try that blend before I get a sample of the shortening. 

I sure would be interested if you obtain a sample from Nasonville what you think when it is baked on a pizza.  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1021 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »

I have a call into Nasonville and am waiting for a call-back to see really how long my cheddar was aged, by the dates on the box.  I don’t know if that has something to do with the tang or not.    

If anyone is interested this is what the man from Nasonville had to say about the cheddar at Reply 60

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg188862.html#msg188862

Norma

Offline eiram21

« Reply #1022 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
Hi Norma,
Maybe it's just me, but I think the cheese on the Manco pie is the easiest part to replicate. I've used a combination of MILD white cheddar (any brand) and hand shredded whole milk mozz cheese, piled loosely on the pie to get that oozy combination with the sauce after cooked. I've read that buying preshredded cheese is a no-no since it is often coated in cornstarch (?) or something that prevents it from sticking together and also prevents it from melting nicely.

May I ask for to post your final dough formulation and proofing method? I'd love to take a stab at this at home if possible.

I've also noticed that their oven temperatures vary according to season. When we go in the summer, the ovens are set to high 400s, whereas in the spring when it is cooler, the temps are closer to 500.  I should also note that I'm talking about Manco and Manco pizza, not Macks....and the restaurant is not air conditioned as it is very much open to the boardwalk, making it difficult to use any type of climate control especially considering the number of ovens they have operating.

My apologies if this thread is devoted solely to Macks....I higly prefer Manco and Manco pizza over Macks..
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1023 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
Marie,

I am glad you think the easiest part to replicate is the cheese.  I would agree that mild cheddar and a decent mozzarella would make a good melting cheese when baked on a pizza.  Do you think your cheese blend does have the same taste as Manco and Manco pies?

This thread isn’t just devoted to Mack’s pizza.  It also includes Manco and Manco. 

Thanks for posting that you saw different oven temperatures at Manco and Manco according to the season.  I never saw the oven temperatures at Manco and Manco, but did see at Mack’s the oven temperatures are also different.  The kind of ovens they bake in are a lot different than home oven though, and even different than my small deck oven.  I know about the climate control and know both Mack’s and Manco and Manco are just opened. 

The last formulation I tried was from Peter’s formulation at Reply 301 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg98561.html#msg98561 Peter also posted a very good formulation at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472   rayjock posted at Reply 323 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100084.html#msg100084 the process of making a Mack’s dough and the time it was left to ferment and also what was added to the sauce.  If you are interested you can see what Peter posted at Reply 326 about  maybe what Mack’s process might be.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100173.html#msg100173 

I also had decent results at home using the formulation I posted at Reply 341 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg100438.html#msg100438  I also tried that formulation out in my deck oven and the results are at Reply 366 and next posts  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg102867.html#msg102867 I also have other formulations posted. If you want any of the other ones, let me know.  I still didn’t try a same day dough. I have to read over this thread when I find time and see all what was posted.

I don’t know what kind of flour you have to work with, but all the formulations on this thread seem to be strong and can be tossed and twirled and are easy to work with.  I usually use a high gluten bleached and bromated flour, but Peter had good results using a flour that wasn’t bleach and bromated, but did use VWG.   The proofing method (cold ferment) will depend on how much IDY you use.  The dough can be left to warm-up for awhile at regular room temperatures, probably up to 2 ˝ hrs. if the ambient room temperature isn’t too hot.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1024 on: May 26, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Norma,
I had the Mack and Manco a year ago and was not studying it that well, but from memory I think you may be happy with the Grande Cheddar blend / Grande East Coast mix.

Bob

Offline eiram21

« Reply #1025 on: May 26, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
Thanks for posting the formulations, Norma! I'm in the Philly suburbs and planning a trip to Dutch country - I'll have to stop by your pizza place and say hello!

On another note, to anyone reading this - I'm curious about how you go about saving threads? I see many many posts that link to prior threads and I can only assume that you are somehow saving threads. I'd love the option to do this as it would keep me more organized....any hints? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1026 on: May 26, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
Norma,
I had the Mack and Manco a year ago and was not studying it that well, but from memory I think you may be happy with the Grande Cheddar blend / Grande East Coast mix.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for posting that you think I will be happy for with the Grande Cheedar blend/Grande East Coast mix.  I can't wait to try it out. ;D  I have tried so many cheese blends and so far most of them don't have the tang I am looking for.  I would try another attempt for a Mack's pizza this week, but have too many other experiments going on.  I was going to blend some of the Asiago cheese and mozzarella at market, but it is really supposed to be hot on Tuesday so I don't want any more experiments to fool around with.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1027 on: May 26, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
Thanks for posting the formulations, Norma! I'm in the Philly suburbs and planning a trip to Dutch country - I'll have to stop by your pizza place and say hello!

On another note, to anyone reading this - I'm curious about how you go about saving threads? I see many many posts that link to prior threads and I can only assume that you are somehow saving threads. I'd love the option to do this as it would keep me more organized....any hints? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance

Marie,

I would enjoy meeting you if you visit Dutch country.  :)  Market is only opened on a Tuesday. 

I really am not good at saving threads, but you could just press on that little what looks like two papers that are sitting with the pointed edges up, with the folded corner on to the left of Re:NJ Boardwalk Pizza.  That will put the URL in your browser at the top of your computer screen.  Just copy and paste the URL to a word processor and then save it if you like.  Maybe other members might have easier ways for you to try. 

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1028 on: May 26, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
Norma,
I am looking forward to trying the assiago blend.  I have tried many cheeses for a Greek blend and am still not satisfied.  Yes many have replicated many of the places I have tried but nothing has replicated the one I prefer.  I had a popular place near me but it changed hands and the recipe with it.  Even the crust went down hill.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: May 26, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
Norma,
I am looking forward to trying the assiago blend.  I have tried many cheeses for a Greek blend and am still not satisfied.  Yes many have replicated many of the places I have tried but nothing has replicated the one I prefer.  I had a popular place near me but it changed hands and the recipe with it.  Even the crust went down hill.

Bob,

Do you mean a Greek style pizza or a Greek style cheese blend?  I had some good luck with blending cheeses for Greek style pizzas, and the formulations here on the forum for Greek style pizzas sure do make some excellent pizzas. 

I don’t know when I will get the sample of Nasonville cheddar blended with Asiago cheese.  I could blend some of the Asiago I have at market with some of the Nasonville cheddar if you want to try that on a regular pizza Tuesday.  I did purchase that Asiago cheese from my distributor.  I could even bring some of the Gangi sauce alone if you want me to.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1030 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:25 PM »

Bob,

Do you mean a Greek style pizza or a Greek style cheese blend?  I had some good luck with blending cheeses for Greek style pizzas, and the formulations here on the forum for Greek style pizzas sure do make some excellent pizzas. 

I don’t know when I will get the sample of Nasonville cheddar blended with Asiago cheese.  I could blend some of the Asiago I have at market with some of the Nasonville cheddar if you want to try that on a regular pizza Tuesday.  I did purchase that Asiago cheese from my distributor.  I could even bring some of the Gangi sauce alone if you want me to.

Norma

Norma,
I follow the Greek thread and have done good pies based on you're work and Steve's.  When I used to order it I always asked for large crusts with the cheese all the way to the end.   I love the taste of the fried cheese with no sauce on the crusts.  All the cheddars I have tried only get me at about 20% the flavor.  It seems to be brand specific.  That is what sparked my interest in the Nasonville.   Please do not go out of your way on Tuesday,  I will be bringing three unusual pies and one cold tomato pie.  I selected unusual styles that you may appreciate,  one is my favorite, two have a small cult following but I find so so, and the tomato pie is great.  My favorite and the tomato pie are made by the spices in the sauce.  The other two are sweet sauces.  I am looking forward to getting your, Streve's,  and the other members opinion.  Should be fun.  I have been meaning to do this for a couple of years now.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
Norma,
I follow the Greek thread and have done good pies based on you're work and Steve's.  When I used to order it I always asked for large crusts with the cheese all the way to the end.   I love the taste of the fried cheese with no sauce on the crusts.  All the cheddars I have tried only get me at about 20% the flavor.  It seems to be brand specific.  That is what sparked my interest in the Nasonville.   Please do not go out of your way on Tuesday,  I will be bringing three unusual pies and one cold tomato pie.  I selected unusual styles that you may appreciate,  one is my favorite, two have a small cult following but I find so so, and the tomato pie is great.  My favorite and the tomato pie are made by the spices in the sauce.  The other two are sweet sauces.  I am looking forward to getting your, Streve's,  and the other members opinion.  Should be fun.  I have been meaning to do this for a couple of years now.

Bob

Bob,

Glad to hear you have followed the Greek thread and got good pies from that thread.  Steve and I also like the fried cheese at the edges, but never tried it with no sauce.  Great to hear you will be bringing three unusual pies and one cold tomato pie.  ;D We have a lot of taste testers are market, that I am sure will give you their opinions also.  Steve is also a great taste tester and sure will give you his opinion. 

The Nasonsville cheddar is good, at least in Steve’s and my opinions.  I think we will all be full with your extra pizzas.   :-D

I will mix some Asiago with the cheddar for you to taste.  It will be nice to see you again.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1032 on: June 03, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
I mixed another Mack’s dough attempt this evening using Peter’s formulation at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472 This time I used Kyrol flour and Goya Manteca lard.  The dough came together nicely and even with the lower hydration the dough feels really soft.  The Goya Manteca lard was melted first and mixed in with the water.  I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix this dough and after the ingredients were incorporated (which wasn’t long), the dough was then mixed for 6 minutes on speed 1.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
Bill from Trenton came to visit us at market yesterday and bought some nice gifts.  He brought a pack of Nasonville Pizza Cheese, some plum tomatoes from Italy, a pouring sauce container from Maruca’s, and a pack of Great Lakes sharp cheddar from Shop Rite in NJ.  

The Mack’s pizza attempt went very well yesterday.  ;D The dough was easy to open, could be tossed and twirled, and seemed to be like a Mack’s dough, using Peter‘s formulation.  We blended Bill’s Great Lakes Cheese with my mozzarella blend 50/50.  The pie was dressed with cheese first, then sauce using the Maruca’s old container, then more cheese was applied.  We ended up using about 10 oz. of cheese.  The Gangi sauce was also used with a fair amount of added pepper and oregano.  The resulting Mack’s attempt seemed be one of my best in that the cheese blend did taste almost exactly like a Mack’s pizza, the sauce tasted like a Mack’s pizza and the crust also seemed to be like a Mack’s pizza.  Bill, Steve, my taste testers and I all enjoyed this pizza very much.  I also bought home a slice to reheat.  If anyone can purchase the Great Lakes sharp cheddar and combine it with a good mozzarella blend, I think it will give them close to a Mack’s pizza.  At least that was my experience yesterday.  I still am not sure if I like the Goya manteca lard used in the dough better than olive oil.  Maybe a little less of the cheese blend could have been used.

Bill found me an original Maruca’s http://www.marucaspizza.com/index.html sauce pouring vessel and brought it to market yesterday.  I love the sauce pouring container because I do like old things and it poured the Mack‘s sauce great yesterday  If the Man vs. Food video is watched at Maruca‘s website it can be seen that the container like Bill gave me is like the container in the video and also I find it interesting that Maruca‘s does all the sauce last instead of in between the cheeses.  In the video also it can been seen there is a hot dough press at Marcua‘s.  I find it amusing that Maruca’s, Macks, and Manco and Manco all started from Trenton “tomato pies”.  I think the video is interesting.  I don’t know why Maruca’s uses a hot dough press.  If anyone is interested, those slices at Marcua’s sure look big.  Bill told me the slices are very big, as he has eaten them many times.  As posted on Yelp by a poster those killer slices are 3.75. http://www.yelp.com/biz/maruca-tomato-pies-seaside-park  We all had a great time talking to Bill yesterday and really enjoyed that he came to visit us.

It was a pleasure finally meeting you Bill after talking to you on the phone different times.  :) Thanks also Bill for bringing the gifts!  I really liked how the Great Lakes sharp cheddar combined with my mozzarella blend did give the taste of a Mack’s pizza.  Bill does know a lot about Trenton pies and has tried to clone them with much success.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:29:34 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1034 on: June 06, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1038 on: June 06, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Norma

pizzapan