Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 182862 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1120 on: July 04, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Norma,

Where did you buy the AMPI?

BOARDWALKER,

I purchased the AMPI (State Brand) of mild cheddar from my distributor that I get my regular cheeses from.  I also tried the AMPI sharp cheddar, (but that wasn't the cheese) before on this thread.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:14:36 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #1121 on: July 05, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »
Thanks, Norma.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1122 on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »
I purchased the AMPI (State Brand) of mild cheddar from my distributor that I get my regular cheeses from.  I also tried the AMPI sharp cheddar, (but that wasn't the cheese) before on this thread.

If the cheese doesn't give you quite the "twang" you're looking for, Norma, try letting it sit out for a day before using it on the next pizza.   ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1123 on: July 07, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
If the cheese doesn't give you quite the "twang" you're looking for, Norma, try letting it sit out for a day before using it on the next pizza.   ;)

Pete,

Welcome to the forum!  :)  Do you have a pizza business that you know what happens if I let the cheese sit out for day?  If I would let my regular cheeses sit out they would become quite gooey.  I know from taking cheese out of the deli case if some extra pieces of cheese are in a Cambro container before I wash the container. 

I also have problems with Nasonville cheese if I grate it the day before and even put it in the deli case.  It wants to clump together in a day. 

I know cheeses that are aged to develop more flavor, but would a day sitting out give any cheddar cheese that twang?  Did you ever try AMPI mild white cheddar on a pizza and have you ever eaten a Mack’s pizza?  I know the cheese at Mack's sits out, at least some in high heat.  Sorry to be asking all the questions, but I am curious.

Thanks for your help!  ;D

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1124 on: July 07, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Pete,

Welcome to the forum!  :)  Do you have a pizza business that you know what happens if I let the cheese sit out for day?  If I would let my regular cheeses sit out they would become quite gooey.  I know from taking cheese out of the deli case if some extra pieces of cheese are in a Cambro container before I wash the container.  

I also have problems with Nasonville cheese if I grate it the day before and even put it in the deli case.  It wants to clump together in a day.  

I know cheeses that are aged to develop more flavor, but would a day sitting out give any cheddar cheese that twang?  Did you ever try AMPI mild white cheddar on a pizza and have you ever eaten a Mack’s pizza?  I know the cheese at Mack's sits out, at least some in high heat.  Sorry to be asking all the questions, but I am curious.

Thanks for your help!  ;D

Norma

Thanks, Norma!!!  I've been following this thread for quite some time and it was actually my impetus to come out of the shadows and join the site.  LOL   :)

Actually, I'm a huge Papa Dino's fan as it was the first pizza I ever ate in my life and enjoy both the Mack's and Grotto's boardwalk types as well.  Back in the '90's, I ran into a guy on a landscape job in an over-55 community who said he was the former owner of the now-defunct Nancy Lou's Bar-B-Q in Palmyra, PA and the subject of Papa Dino's pizza somehow came up.  ;)  He told me they used a mix of mild cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone but they let the blocks sit out for a day before grating and refrigerating it for use on their pizzas.  Of course, I never verified this with any of the Groff family members who own/owned the Papa Dino's chain since I figured this was proprietary information but I thought it might be something you could use in your quest.

Right now, I'm using DelGrosso New York-Style sauce and straight whole milk mozzarella on my homemade "smokey grill" pizzas and as I get settled in here on the site, I'll post more about some of my mad pizza scientist experiments as well.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:13:06 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1125 on: July 07, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »
Thanks, Norma!!!  I've been following this thread for quite some time and it was actually my impetus to come out of the shadows and join the site.  LOL   :)

Actually, I'm a huge Papa Dino's fan as it was the first pizza I ever ate in my life and enjoy both the Mack's and Grotto's boardwalk types as well.  Back in the '90's, I ran into a guy on a landscape job in an over-55 community who said he was the former owner of the now-defunct Nancy Lou's Bar-B-Q in Palmyra, PA and the subject of Papa Dino's pizza somehow came up.  ;)  He told me they used a mix of mild cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone but they let the blocks sit out for a day before grating and refrigerating it for use on their pizzas.  Of course, I never verified this with any of the Groff family members who own/owned the Papa Dino's chain since I figured this was proprietary information but I thought it might be something you could use in your quest.

Right now, I'm using DelGrosso New York-Style sauce and straight whole milk mozzarella on my homemade "smokey grill" pizzas and as I get settled in here on the site, I'll post more about some of my mad pizza scientist experiments as well.   ;D

Pete,

I am glad that this thread did make you come out of the shadows.  ;D I am sure we all will enjoy your posts and experiments. 

We still have a Papa Dino’s in Lancaster, Pa., and I sure don’t know if it is related to the Papa Dino’s you are talking about, but our Papa Dino’s is a shadow of what it once was.  At one time I thought it also ranked right up there with Mack’s pizza and even almost tasted like a Mack’s pizza, but low and behold, it doesn’t even taste any good anymore.   :'(

I can now understand to let the cheese sit out for one day and then refrigerated before grating.  I guess I will try your idea because it does sound good.  That sounds like a neat trick to get the twang I was looking for many times. Thanks so much for the tip!  :)  I don’t know how the inspectors would look at cheese sitting out though.  I know when I was inspected this year, the inspector did check the temperature of the cheese in the pizza prep fridge.  :-\

Looking forward to your mad pizza scientist experiments!  :)

I see you are also located near me.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1126 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »

Pete,

I am glad that this thread did make you come out of the shadows.  ;D I am sure we all will enjoy your posts and experiments.  

We still have a Papa Dino’s in Lancaster, Pa., and I sure don’t know if it is related to the Papa Dino’s you are talking about, but our Papa Dino’s is a shadow of what it once was.  At one time I thought it also ranked right up there with Mack’s pizza and even almost tasted like a Mack’s pizza, but low and behold, it doesn’t even taste any good anymore.   :'(

I can now understand to let the cheese sit out for one day and then refrigerated before grating.  I guess I will try your idea because it does sound good.  That sounds like a neat trick to get the twang I was looking for many times. Thanks so much for the tip!  :)  I don’t know how the inspectors would look at cheese sitting out though.  I know when I was inspected this year, the inspector did check the temperature of the cheese in the pizza prep fridge.  :-\

Looking forward to your mad pizza scientist experiments!  :)

I see you are also located near me.

Norma

Not that far away at all, Norma.  I may just have to get down to your stand to visit sometime.  LOL   :)

Papa Dino's used to have quite a few restaurants scattered all over southcentral PA back in their heyday.  The Lincoln Highway location out by Dutch Wonderland may be the very last since the Manheim "Papa Dino's Pub and Eatery" on PA72 near the Turnpike interchange closed up.  From what I remember of their history, they opened their first location in Lebanon, PA in 1961 and expanded from there.  At one time, they even had a fleet of mobile pizza ovens to service the steelworkers at the Bethlehem plant in the Steelton/Highspire area.  They were rather famous for their toasted hamboats as well.

I've never been to the Lincoln Highway store but from what I've been hearing it may not be worth the trip.

One thing I do distinctly remember from the old days is that both the sauce and the pizza cheese mix were prepared somewhere offsite and delivered to each location, the sauce in large mayonaise or pickle jars and the cheese in stainless steel tubs covered with cellophane.  This may be how they got around certain regulations regarding food handling and to keep the proprietary information concerning both the sauce and cheese mix out of the hands of employees.  The dough was always prepared onsite, however.

Our nickname for Papa Dino's pizza was "Slime and Grime", slimey on the top and grimey on the bottom.  Your pizza would clean the oven out for the next pizza.  LOL  Before placing the cheese mix on the dough, whomever was making the pizza would squeeze a small amount of a mustard and mayo combo on first like in a stromboli which would have accounted for the extra oil (slime).  The sauce and any additional toppings were added last like a Mack's.

From what I gathered from this thread previously, the sauce was most likely doctored-up Gangi as I've seen the Bova trucks delivering to the Manheim location on more than one occasion.  The sauce was one aspect of the pizza which had always mystified me so you helped me out as well without knowing it.  I'm glad I could possibly return the favor!!!  One of these days, as part of my experimentation, I plan to try to duplicate a Papa Dino's pizza and that is what actually drew me to this thread in the first place.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:46:48 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1127 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:18 AM »
Not that far away at all, Norma.  I may just have to get down to your stand to visit sometime.  LOL   :)

Papa Dino's used to have quite a few restaurants scattered all over southcentral PA back in their heyday.  The Lincoln Highway location out by Dutch Wonderland may be the very last since the Manheim "Papa Dino's Pub and Eatery" on PA72 near the Turnpike interchange closed up.  From what I remember of their history, they opened their first location in Lebanon, PA in 1961 and expanded from there.  At one time, they even had a fleet of mobile pizza ovens to service the steelworkers at the Bethlehem plant in the Steelton/Highspire area.  They were rather famous for their toasted hamboats as well.

I've never been to the Lincoln Highway store but from what I've been hearing it may not be worth the trip.

One thing I do distinctly remember from the old days is that both the sauce and the pizza cheese mix were prepared somewhere offsite and delivered to each location, the sauce in large mayonaise or pickle jars and the cheese in stainless steel tubs covered with cellophane.  This may be how they got around certain regulations regarding food handling and to keep the proprietary information concerning both the sauce and cheese mix out of the hands of employees.  The dough was always prepared onsite, however.

Our nickname for Papa Dino's pizza was "Slime and Grime", slimey on the top and grimey on the bottom.  Your pizza would clean the oven out for the next pizza.  LOL  Before placing the cheese mix on the dough, whomever was making the pizza would squeeze a small amount of a mustard and mayo combo on first like in a stromboli which would have accounted for the extra oil (slime).  The sauce and any additional toppings were added last like a Mack's.

From what I gathered from this thread previously, the sauce was most likely doctored-up Gangi as I've seen the Bova trucks delivering to the Manheim location on more than one occasion.  The sauce was one aspect of the pizza which had always mystified me so you helped me out as well without knowing it.  I'm glad I could possibly return the favor!!!  One of these days, as part of my experimentation, I plan to try to duplicate a Papa Dino's pizza and that is what actually drew me to this thread in the first place.   ;D

Pete,

Anytime you get down my way, let me know.  I will make another attempt at a Mack’s pizza and let you taste it to see what you think.  Maybe you could bring a couple dough balls and try them out in my deck oven.  

I didn’t know Papa Dino’s had quite a few restaurants scattered all over south-central Pa. back in their heyday.  Thanks for telling me about Papa Dino’s history.  I remember the sauce in large mayonnaise or pickle jars. I never really watched a lot how Papa Dino’s pizza were prepared, because back then I was only interested in eating the pizzas and smelling that cheesy goodness when I went into Papa Dino’s.  I do remember the slimy top (or greasy), but don’t remember the grime on the bottom at the locations I visited.   I only remember the Papa Dino’s at Lincoln Highway in Bridgeport, right outside of Lancaster, and the one that was on Lititz Pike right across from the Stockyards.  The Papa Dino’s location on Lititz Pike is the one I went to until it moved to Manheim Pike on the other side of Manheim leading to Lebanon near the turnpike.  After it moved to Manheim Pike location at the Tavern it never was the same to me.  I tried the Papa Dino’s on Lincoln Highway about 6 years ago and sure wasn’t pleased with how the pizza tasted.  I might have to visit the Lincoln Highway location again and see how the Papa Dino’s pizza now taste and watch how they prepare their pizzas.  To me the Papa Dino’s pizza always tasted almost like Mack’s pizza.  I also remember the great tasting ham boats that the buns were toasted.  My husband, children, and granddaughter all loved Papa Dino’s pizzas and ham boats.  I find it interesting at BooRah that they say if you like Mack’s pizza you will also like Papa Dino’s.  http://business.intuit.com/boorah-restaurants/PA/lancaster/papa-dinos/BE849EA4C5.html and one review from Yelp. http://www.yelp.com/biz/papa-dinos-lancaster and reviews on superpages. http://www.superpages.com/bp/Lancaster-PA/Papa-Dinos-L0098028363.htm?SRC=portals&C=Sandwich+Shops&lbp=1&STYPE=S&TR=77&bidType=FLCLIK&PGID=yp400.8081.1341753473635.31713674391&dls=true&bpp=2#BPreviewContainer   I have to search more about Papa Dino’s to see what I can find.  I also appreciate your help!

Interesting that you saw Bova trucks delivering to Papa Dino’s and you think Papa Dino’s also used the Gangi Sauce.  I hope you can replicate a Papa Dino’s pizza.  I sure would be interested in that also, because to me Papa Dino’s in its heyday did taste like Mack’s pizza, or very similar.  

BTW, on a side note, my friend from Trenton called me yesterday and told me he tried a blend of Great Lakes sharp cheddar and Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar and he thinks the cheese is right.  He told me awhile ago that one of his old-time friends was at Mack’s years ago (about 25 years ago) and saw blocks of Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar on the counter at Mack’s.  I have no way of confirming if Mack’s might blend cheddars or not, or if Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar was or is used.   I might try that blend in future weeks.  My friend from Trenton said he is also going to try the Nasonville cheddar I gave him in combination with the Great Lakes sharp cheddar and will tell me how he thinks that blend is when baked on a pizza.  He also invited to me his home again to take a tour of Trenton pizza businesses and visit Maruca’s.  The circle would be completed for me if I could try Maruca’s pizzas, but driving to Trenton is pretty far away from me.  My friend from Trenton has also been on the journey to try and recreate Maruca’s pizzas for about 25 years.  At least I haven’t been on the journey for a Mack’s pizza for that long.   :-D

I am glad your search to try and recreate a Papa Dino’s pizza brought you to this thread.   ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:43:40 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1128 on: July 08, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
This post is to edit my last post.

My friend called me from Trenton and said the blend of cheddars that he used that tasted right was a 50/50 blend of Nasonville mild cheddar (that he purchased in a 1 lb. block from Nasonville, and that cheddar when purchased in a 1 lb. package isn’t on their website and has to be asked for, but is exactly the same mild cheddar that I purchased in the 42 lb. block )  He blended the Nasonville mild white cheddar with Great Lakes Sharp cheddar, but said the Nasonville mild cheddar can also be blended 50/50 with Cracker Barrel Sharp White Cheddar for the same flavor.

Sorry for any confusion.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1129 on: July 08, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

Pete,

Anytime you get down my way, let me know.  I will make another attempt at a Mack’s pizza and let you taste it to see what you think.  Maybe you could bring a couple dough balls and try them out in my deck oven. 

I didn’t know Papa Dino’s had quite a few restaurants scattered all over south-central Pa. back in their heyday.  Thanks for telling me about Papa Dino’s history.  I remember the sauce in large mayonnaise or pickle jars. I never really watched a lot how Papa Dino’s pizza were prepared, because back then I was only interested in eating the pizzas and smelling that cheesy goodness when I went into Papa Dino’s.  I do remember the slimy top (or greasy), but don’t remember the grime on the bottom at the locations I visited.   I only remember the Papa Dino’s at Lincoln Highway in Bridgeport, right outside of Lancaster, and the one that was on Lititz Pike right across from the Stockyards.  The Papa Dino’s location on Lititz Pike is the one I went to until it moved to Manheim Pike on the other side of Manheim leading to Lebanon near the turnpike.  After it moved to Manheim Pike location at the Tavern it never was the same to me.  I tried the Papa Dino’s on Lincoln Highway about 6 years ago and sure wasn’t pleased with how the pizza tasted.  I might have to visit the Lincoln Highway location again and see how the Papa Gino’s pizza now taste and watch how they prepare their pizzas.  To me the Papa Dino’s pizza always tasted almost like Mack’s pizza.  I also remember the great tasting ham boats that the buns were toasted.  My husband, children, and granddaughter all loved Papa Dino’s pizzas and ham boats.  I find it interesting at BooRah that they say if you like Mack’s pizza you will also like Papa Gino’s.  http://business.intuit.com/boorah-restaurants/PA/lancaster/papa-dinos/BE849EA4C5.html and one review from Yelp. http://www.yelp.com/biz/papa-dinos-lancaster and reviews on superpages. http://www.superpages.com/bp/Lancaster-PA/Papa-Dinos-L0098028363.htm?SRC=portals&C=Sandwich+Shops&lbp=1&STYPE=S&TR=77&bidType=FLCLIK&PGID=yp400.8081.1341753473635.31713674391&dls=true&bpp=2#BPreviewContainer   I have to search more about Papa Gino’s to see what I can find.  I also appreciate your help!

Interesting that you saw Bova trucks delivering to Papa Dino’s and you think Papa Dino’s also used the Gangi Sauce.  I hope you can replicate a Papa Dino’s pizza.  I sure would be interested in that also, because to me Papa Dino’s in its heyday did taste like Mack’s pizza, or very similar. 

BTW, on a side note, my friend from Trenton called me yesterday and told me he tried a blend of Great Lakes sharp cheddar and Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar and he thinks the cheese is right.  He told me awhile ago that one of his old-time friends was at Mack’s years ago (about 25 years ago) and saw blocks of Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar on the counter at Mack’s.  I have no way of confirming if Mack’s might blend cheddars or not, or if Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar was or is used.   I might try that blend in future weeks.  My friend from Trenton said he is also going to try the Nasonville cheddar I gave him in combination with the Great Lakes sharp cheddar and will tell me how he thinks that blend is when baked on a pizza.  He also invited to me his home again to take a tour of Trenton pizza businesses and visit Maruca’s.  The circle would be completed for me if I could try Maruca’s pizzas, but driving to Trenton is pretty far away from me.  My friend from Trenton has also been on the journey to try and recreate Maruca’s pizzas for about 25 years.  At least I haven’t been on the journey for a Mack’s pizza for that long.   :-D

I am glad your search to try and recreate a Papa Gino’s pizza brought you to this thread.   ;D

Norma

The Lititz Pike location was Davey Groff's store, Norma.  He is the grandson of the founder and the guy who moved the store up to the old Papa Bear's on Manheim Pike.  The Lititz Pike was where my son ate his very first pizza sucking the sauce and cheese off my finger when he was only a couple months old.  LOL

The only problem I had with the Manheim Pike location was inconsistency.  When either Davey or his dad were there, the pizzas were done right.  They had absolutely awesome french fries, though, and never screwed those up.

When the Lebanon store closed back in the seventies, we frequented the Colonial Park location on Allentown Bvd. and when that one shut down, we then moved to Lititz Pike.  We always used to get on Davey's case about moving back up toward Lebanon since a lot of people up here had missed the place so perhaps we had some influence on his decision to do just that.   :-X

I think the Lebanon location went broke because, back then, everyone used to work up a good case of the munchies and hit "All-You-Can-Eat Night".   8)

Getting back to the cheese, I have a feeling the sit-out trick might work with just about any brand of mild cheddar.  I just might have to do a little test the next time I fire up the grill.

Oh yeah, and my lovely wife Ann and I have a day trip scheduled to Wildwood later this summer.  MMMMM!!!   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1130 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
The Lititz Pike location was Davey Groff's store, Norma.  He is the grandson of the founder and the guy who moved the store up to the old Papa Bear's on Manheim Pike.  The Lititz Pike was where my son ate his very first pizza sucking the sauce and cheese off my finger when he was only a couple months old.  LOL

The only problem I had with the Manheim Pike location was inconsistency.  When either Davey or his dad were there, the pizzas were done right.  They had absolutely awesome french fries, though, and never screwed those up.

When the Lebanon store closed back in the seventies, we frequented the Colonial Park location on Allentown Bvd. and when that one shut down, we then moved to Lititz Pike.  We always used to get on Davey's case about moving back up toward Lebanon since a lot of people up here had missed the place so perhaps we had some influence on his decision to do just that.   :-X

I think the Lebanon location went broke because, back then, everyone used to work up a good case of the munchies and hit "All-You-Can-Eat Night".   8)

Getting back to the cheese, I have a feeling the sit-out trick might work with just about any brand of mild cheddar.  I just might have to do a little test the next time I fire up the grill.

Oh yeah, and my lovely wife Ann and I have a day trip scheduled to Wildwood later this summer.  MMMMM!!!   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for telling me the Lititz Pike Papa Dino’s was Davey Groff’s store.  I didn’t know any history of Papa Dino’s before you posted on this thread, but it is interesting.  Do you know how the Groff’s started Papa Dino’s?  Lol your couple months old son eating his first pizza sauce at Papa Dino’s.   :-D

Do you know who owns the Lincoln Highway Papa Dino’s now?  If I have time this week I am going to check them out again.  I think Monday evenings Papa Dino’s still has their “buffet night” (all you can eat of pizza for one price).  I remember that fondly at the Lititz Pike location.  The Lincoln Highway location is right after Philadelphia pike right outside of Lancaster.  

I sure don’t understand why Davey moved towards Lebanon.  That is far out in the country and not around even small towns.  I guess he must have thought the bar would draw more customers, but I think right in Lancaster was a better location.  

Thanks for posting that you think any kind of mild cheddar left out for a day might work.  I think I am going to try half of the pie with left out cheddar and half with grated cheddar that was refrigerated to see what happens.  Since I won’t be selling the pizza, I don’t have to worry about letting the cheddar sit out.  I wonder how many other pizzerias also might use that “trick” to have better tasting pizza if some cheddar is used.  ::) That sure could explain how some pizzas in the taste of the cheese usually can’t be figured out.  I wonder if other forum members heard of that “trick” before.  Let me know if you try the sit out “trick” the next time.  It now makes me wonder if Mack’s does let their cheddar out for awhile to get that twangy taste.  I know Mack’s cheddar sits out in the heat without being refrigerated, but I don’t know for how long.  I also saw when I was at Joey Mack’s that when I stood up his cheddar was just sitting there is a stainless steel bowl at ambient room temperature.    

Wow, you and your lovely wife Anne going to Wildwood.  :P Does Anne and you eat Mack’s pizza often?  

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1131 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
Pete,

Thanks for telling me the Lititz Pike Papa Dino’s was Davey Groff’s store.  I didn’t know any history of Papa Dino’s before you posted on this thread, but it is interesting.  Do you know how the Groff’s started Papa Dino’s?  Lol your couple months old son eating his first pizza sauce at Papa Dino’s.   :-D

Do you know who owns the Lincoln Highway Papa Dino’s now?  If I have time this week I am going to check them out again.  I think Monday evenings Papa Dino’s still has their “buffet night” (all you can eat of pizza for one price).  I remember that fondly at the Lititz Pike location.  The Lincoln Highway location is right after Philadelphia pike right outside of Lancaster.  

I sure don’t understand why Davey moved towards Lebanon.  That is far out in the country and not around even small towns.  I guess he must have thought the bar would draw more customers, but I think right in Lancaster was a better location.  

Thanks for posting that you think any kind of mild cheddar left out for a day might work.  I think I am going to try half of the pie with left out cheddar and half with grated cheddar that was refrigerated to see what happens.  Since I won’t be selling the pizza, I don’t have to worry about letting the cheddar sit out.  I wonder how many other pizzerias also might use that “trick” to have better tasting pizza if some cheddar is used.  ::) That sure could explain how some pizzas in the taste of the cheese usually can’t be figured out.  I wonder if other forum members heard of that “trick” before.  Let me know if you try the sit out “trick” the next time.  It now makes me wonder if Mack’s does let their cheddar out for awhile to get that twangy taste.  I know Mack’s cheddar sits out in the heat without being refrigerated, but I don’t know for how long.  I also saw when I was at Joey Mack’s that when I stood up his cheddar was just sitting there is a stainless steel bowl at ambient room temperature.    

Wow, you and your lovely wife Anne going to Wildwood.  :P Does Anne and you eat Mack’s pizza often?  

Norma

Mack's is the ONLY pizza we eat at Wildwood, Norma, no doubt!!!   :pizza:

The day trip itinerary goes something like this...

We'll leave Annville at around four in the morning on a chosen Friday, having packed whatever we're taking along the night before, which gets us there somewhere between 9 and 10 AM depending on traffic.  Once we pay the fee and park the car (or the Power Wagon, LOL) we'll hit the beach until three or so.  Next, we'll be on the boardwalk dodging the tram cars until the parking lot expiration time of 6 PM.  Then, we'll commence our speedy journey back home always enjoying the immense eastbound rolling traffic jam as everyone else and their brother heads "down the shore" for the weekend.   :)

Come to think of it, when I spoke to the older gentleman who owned Nancy Lou's back in the nineties, he may have specifically mentioned longhorn cheese which is a colby-type and similar to mild cheddar but does not undergo the cheddaring process...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colby_cheese

Hey, it's been awhile.  LOL  Letting a colby-type sit out should produce that same twang as well.

Bear in mind also that when it comes to food safety, the yeast and/or bacteria which may affect the flavor of a cheese sitting out a room temperature for any length of time will easily be killed by a 500-degree pizza oven.  I never got sick eating either a Papa Dino's or a Mack's pizza since they've pretty much been completely sterilized once they reach anyone's palate.  

Back to Papa Dino's history, it was Davey's grandfather who started the first store in Lebanon and two of his sons, Davey's dad and uncle, were eventually involved as the chain grew.  The Lincoln Highway location may still be owned and operated by one of Davey's cousins because, from what I gathered over the years, each location was run by one family member or another.  Back in 1991, for Papa Dino's 30th anniversary, Davey plastered old framed pictures and other memorabilia all over the Lititz Pike location as part of their little celebration.  That's when I found out about those old Willys Jeep-mounted mobile pizza ovens for the first time.

The original Lebanon store was situated in-town near the old Social Security building around 9th or 10th and Chestnut Streets.  This location was then moved to a brand new building on US422 west of Lebanon sometime in the early seventies.  Of course, the move did cost them a fair amount of walk-in business which was most likely one of the causes of that store's eventual demise along with the arrival of Pizza Hut and the proliferation of other family-owned pizza shops.  They did have off-street parking there, though.  LOL

To me, however, the Manheim Pike Pub and Eatery always seemed to be doing quite well even though it was sort of out in the middle of nowhere.  Perhaps Davey just got sick and tired of being married to the place because he was almost always there.  11 AM until 2 AM are some darn long hours.

In speaking with Davey and his dad, whose name is Dave also BTW, it was always apparent they were very proud of Papa Dino's and the menu offerings themselves, especially the pizza.  You have to figure those guys were pioneers who brought pizza to this area at a time when it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.  I just hope that if the Lincoln Highway location ends up closing and Papa Dino's is gone for good, this pizza isn't lost forever because it is very much a part of the culinary heritage of southcentral PA and my culinary heritage as well.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:27:57 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1132 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
Mack's is the ONLY pizza we eat at Wildwood, Norma, no doubt!!!   :pizza:

The day trip itinerary goes something like this...

We'll leave Annville at around four in the morning on a chosen Friday, having packed whatever we're taking along the night before, which gets us there somewhere between 9 and 10 AM depending on traffic.  Once we pay the fee and park the car (or the Power Wagon, LOL) we'll hit the beach until three or so.  Next, we'll be on the boardwalk dodging the tram cars until the parking lot expiration time of 6 PM.  Then, we'll commence our speedy journey back home always enjoying the immense eastbound rolling traffic jam as everyone else and their brother heads "down the shore" for the weekend.   :)

Come to think of it, when I spoke to the older gentleman who owned Nancy Lou's back in the nineties, he may have specifically mentioned longhorn cheese which is a colby-type and similar to mild cheddar but does not undergo the cheddaring process...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colby_cheese

Hey, it's been awhile.  LOL  Letting a colby-type sit out should produce that same twang as well.

Bear in mind also that when it comes to food safety, the yeast and/or bacteria which may affect the flavor of a cheese sitting out a room temperature for any length of time will easily be killed by a 500-degree pizza oven.  I never got sick eating either a Papa Dino's or a Mack's pizza since they've pretty much been completely sterilized once they reach anyone's palate.  

Back to Papa Dino's history, it was Davey's grandfather who started the first store in Lebanon and two of his sons, Davey's dad and uncle, were eventually involved as the chain grew.  The Lincoln Highway location may still be owned and operated by one of Davey's cousins because, from what I gathered over the years, each location was run by one family member or another.  Back in 1991, for Papa Dino's 30th anniversary, Davey plastered old framed pictures and other memorabilia all over the Lititz Pike location as part of their little celebration.  That's when I found out about those old Willys Jeep-mounted mobile pizza ovens for the first time.

The original Lebanon store was situated in-town near the old Social Security building around 9th or 10th and Chestnut Streets.  This location was then moved to a brand new building on US422 west of Lebanon sometime in the early seventies.  Of course, the move did cost them a fair amount of walk-in business which was most likely one of the causes of that store's eventual demise along with the arrival of Pizza Hut and the proliferation of other family-owned pizza shops.  They did have off-street parking there, though.  LOL

To me, however, the Manheim Pike Pub and Eatery always seemed to be doing quite well even though it was sort of out in the middle of nowhere.  Perhaps Davey just got sick and tired of being married to the place because he was almost always there.  11 AM until 2 AM are some darn long hours.

In speaking with Davey and his dad, whose name is Dave also BTW, it was always apparent they were very proud of Papa Dino's and the menu offerings themselves, especially the pizza.  You have to figure those guys were pioneers who brought pizza to this area at a time when it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.  I just hope that if the Lincoln Highway location ends up closing and Papa Dino's is gone for good, this pizza isn't lost forever because it is very much a part of the culinary heritage of southcentral PA and my culinary heritage as well.   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for telling me what your day itinerary is for Wildwood.  I have visited Mack’s pizza since I was young and remember them baking in the deck ovens.  I think that is why I really like Mack’s pizza because it was one of the first good pizzas I tasted.   

Interesting you mentioned maybe when you spoke to the older gentleman who owned Nancy Lou’s back in the nineties, he may have mentioned longhorn cheese.  This thread is getting so long, but I think I did try longhorn cheese, but didn’t let it sit out.  I am not really concerned about letting cheese sit out for a day, but I know my food inspectors would not like that.  I did try the left out for a day cheese today and got a belly ache in about an hour, but I ate it plain.  Don’t know if the belly ache was from the heat or the cheese.  I usually never get belly aches and have a stomach of steel usually.   :-D

Thanks for Papa Dino’s history.  :)  I sure didn’t know any of that.  I was only in the Manheim Pike Pub and Eatery a few times.  I know there wasn’t much good pizza around our area expect Zangari’s and Papa Dino’s, or at least I didn’t find them.  I know they were pioneers who brought good pizza to this area at a time when pizza wasn’t as popular as it is now.  I have to give Papa Dino’s on Lincoln Highway another try. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1133 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
Using Peter’s dough formulation for a clone Mack’s attempt and the AMPI cheddar cheese these are the results. 

Some of the AMPI mild white cheddar (from a 5 lb. loaf) was left out for a day at market (wrapped in aluminum foil) and then refrigerated for about 2 hrs.  The other part of the AMPI mild white cheddar was grated about 1 hour before the bake and then also refrigerated.  Steve and I tasted both cheddars from the loaf.  The cheddar that was left out for a day tasted less twangy than the cheddar that was just grated.  I sure don’t know why that was.  Steve also noted the same differences. 

The Gagni sauce, with added spices, was applied in a swirl pattern.   Steve and I did add more cheddars on both sides than we should have, but that was to see if we could decide if the cheddar taste of the AMPI mild white cheddar was right when baked on the Mack’s attempt. 

Steve applied oregano to the side that had the cheddar that was just grated and not refrigerated, so we could tell the differences in the cheeses when we tasted slices.

What surprised us was that the cheddar that wasn’t out for a day did taste better and melted better when baked on the Mack’s attempt. 

Although both Steve and I can’t be sure if the AMPI mild white cheddar is what Mack’s uses on their pies, it sure tasted almost like a Mack’s pizza.  I also thought the pizza tasted like a Papa Dino’s pizza.

When my daughter returned home from work last evening she reheated the slices with both cheeses (I already was in bed).  I didn’t talk to her until this morning, but she told me she thought the same thing as Steve and I thought, that the slice with the AMPI mild white cheddar (that was not left out) did taste like a Mack’s pizza and also a Papa Dino’s pizza.  My daughter has tasted both Mack’s pizzas different times and also Papa Dino’s many times, but not Papa Dino’s recently.  Her favorite pizza in our area was Papa Dino’s also.

If anyone can purchase the AMPI mild cheddar I would be interested in their thoughts when baked on a clone attempt.  If anyone thinks that using the AMPI mild cheddar does make a pizza that tastes like Mack’s I will attribute that to what I saw at Joey Mack’s. 

Either next week or the following week Steve and I will apply less cheese to see what happens. 

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1134 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1135 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1136 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1137 on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1138 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1139 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
Norma