Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 188708 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1300 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
I guess you did take into account that I didn’t scale the dough ball back to the weights of what I really had in dough balls weights last week and this week in both of my attempts, using a bowl residue compensation.

Norma,

That is what I suspected but I concluded that the difference in dough ball weights would be about an ounce in pretty much all instances if you were consistent in your measurements.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1301 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Norma,

That is what I suspected but I concluded that the difference in dough ball weights would be about an ounce in pretty much all instances if you were consistent in your measurements.

Peter

Peter,

I knew you would be one step ahead of me, you always are.  I think you know how I am not entirely accurate like you are by now.  :-D

I think I am consistent in my measurements since I now have 2 scales at home.  An ounce isn't very much.  I know when I scale my regular dough balls (Lehmann dough at market) how a little piece of dough can mean much different results on the scale.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1302 on: August 24, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
DING, DING, DING, DING!!!  No question about it, Norma, the cheese is brick!!!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1303 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
DING, DING, DING, DING!!!  No question about it, Norma, the cheese is brick!!!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Pete,

I am glad you think the cheese is brick.  :)  Lol, about the ding, ding ding!  :-D  Hopefully, I will get to try some brick cheese sometime in the future.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1304 on: August 24, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
Pete,

I am glad you think the cheese is brick.  :)  Lol, about the ding, ding ding!  :-D  Hopefully, I will get to try some brick cheese sometime in the future.

Norma

I even went outside while my Papa Dino's clone was baking to freshen up my nostrils, Norma.  When I came back in and reentered the kitchen, the aroma was unmistakable.  LOL   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1305 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
I even went outside while my Papa Dino's clone was baking to freshen up my nostrils, Norma.  When I came back in and reentered the kitchen, the aroma was unmistakable.  LOL   ;D

Pete,

Lol, about you going outside to freshen up your nostrils.   :-D  I know that aroma will never leave me.  :P I can smell it right now and it has been awhile since I ate a real slice of a Mack's pizza right from the oven.  Did you use the blend in this pizza with brick cheese?

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1306 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
Pete,

Lol, about you going outside to freshen up your nostrils.   :-D  I know that aroma will never leave me.  :P I can smell it right now and it has been awhile since I ate a real slice of a Mack's pizza right from the oven.  Did you use the blend in this pizza with brick cheese?

Norma

I sure did, Norma, but the smell of the mix was distinctly different with the brick cheese instead of regular mild cheddar.   :)

And I remember where I've tasted brick cheddar before now also, on the original Ellio's frozen pizza from back in the seventies.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1307 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
I sure did, Norma, but the smell of the mix was distinctly different with the brick cheese instead of regular mild cheddar.   :)

And I remember where I've tasted brick cheddar before now also, on the original Ellio's frozen pizza from back in the seventies.   ;D

Pete,

Did you taste the brick cheese plain before you used it to bake the pizza?  If you did, what did it taste like to you?  Was it a mild brick, a medium brick, or a strong brick in your opinion?  I don't ever remember what Ellio's tasted like back in the 70's, but guess I did have some.  Your memory must be better than mine.   :-D 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1308 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Pete,

Did you taste the brick cheese plain before you used it to bake the pizza?  If you did, what did it taste like to you?  Was it a mild brick, a medium brick, or a strong brick in your opinion?  I don't ever remember what Ellio's tasted like back in the 70's, but guess I did have some.  Your memory must be better than mine.   :-D  

Norma

Definitely mild brick having an overall flavor similar to normal mild cheddar with a bit of a buttery taste but it sure doesn't smell the same, Norma.  It's darn good, however!!!   :)

I've been to quite a few concerts in my lifetime so I don't know about the memory thing.  LOL   8)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:45:52 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »
Definitely mild brick having an overall flavor similar to normal mild cheddar with a bit of a buttery taste but it sure doesn't smell the same, Norma.  It's darn good, however!!!   :)

Pete,

I really don' t understand why you posted the brick cheese sure doesn't smell the same.  :-\ What is up with that?  Did the smell of your kitchen smell like Mack's or not?

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1310 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
Pete,

I really don' t understand why you posted the brick cheese sure doesn't smell the same.  :-\ What is up with that?  Did the smell of your kitchen smell like Mack's or not?

Norma

The brick cheddar doesn't smell the same as normal cheddar which I thought would happen due to the Limburger schmear the manufacturers use to finish brick.  As far as I'm concerned, that is definitely the source of that unique aroma both Mack's, Papa Dino's, and now my own kitchen eminate.  LOL   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1311 on: August 24, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
The brick cheddar doesn't smell the same as normal cheddar which I thought would happen due to the Limburger schmear the manufacturers use to finish brick.  As far as I'm concerned, that is definitely the source of that unique aroma both Mack's, Papa Dino's, and now my own kitchen eminate.  LOL   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for the explanations!  :)  I wonder why I thought that Papa Dino's cheese did taste like Mack's cheese.   :-\  I guess I will have to think about that for a little while.  ::)

If you ever get to visit Papa Dino's purchase some of their cheese and see what you think after it is baked on a pizza if you want to.  I would be interested in knowing if you think Papa Dino's cheese does taste like a Mack's pizza after it is baked. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1312 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:19 PM »
I wish you two would converge your threads or sum'in....I'm so confused!!!   :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:33 PM »
I wish you two would converge your threads or sum'in....I'm so confused!!!   :-D

Bob,

To try and explain a little, (if you weren’t following all three threads) is Papa Dino’s and Mack’s pizza both tasted about the same years ago.  I have no idea if they are using the same cheese or not, but it does taste that way to me.  Papa Dino’s changed their sauce sometime, from I guess Gangi, to something different. 

I hope that explains enough.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1314 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »
Bob,

To try and explain a little, (if you weren’t following all three threads) is Papa Dino’s and Mack’s pizza both tasted about the same years ago.  I have no idea if they are using the same cheese or not, but it does taste that way to me.  Papa Dino’s changed their sauce sometime, from I guess Gangi, to something different. 

I hope that explains enough.

Norma
Oh yes...crystal blue pursuasion is now focusing in my good eye...thanks so much dear!    ;)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1315 on: August 25, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
Oh yes...crystal blue pursuasion is now focusing in my good eye...thanks so much dear!    ;)

Welcome to the wild world of mid-Atlantic regional pizza, Bob!!!   :P

Both Papa Dino's, Mack's, and even Grotto's in Delaware all seem to be based off of the original Trenton tomato pies but with their own little added flair.   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1316 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:07 AM »
Welcome to the wild world of mid-Atlantic regional pizza, Bob!!!   :P

Both Papa Dino's, Mack's, and even Grotto's in Delaware all seem to be based off of the original Trenton tomato pies but with their own little added flair.   ;D
I see that.....and you guys (and gal) are hot on their trail... :o
Great info ya'll are sharing!
I jus got a 'lil cornfused there for a minute... 8)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #1317 on: August 25, 2012, 12:18:20 AM »
I see that.....and you guys (and gal) are hot on their trail... :o
Great info ya'll are sharing!
I jus got a 'lil cornfused there for a minute... 8)

Even the Trenton pies all seem to be a little different from one another, Bob, according to that one thread I can't find at the moment.  LOL   ;D

EDIT: Here it is...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20033.0.html   :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:20:24 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1318 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
Even the Trenton pies all seem to be a little different from one another, Bob, according to that one thread I can't find at the moment.  LOL   ;D

EDIT: Here it is...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20033.0.html   :)

Pete,

I believe this is what you might be looking for. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html  

I agree that all the pies you mentioned did come from the Trenton pies,  and each one is a little different.

Norma

Edit:  Ding Ding, I was wrong that time.  :-D  I gotta get off this computer and mix some dough.  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:25:11 AM by norma427 »

Offline matermark

« Reply #1319 on: August 25, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
I wish you two would converge your threads or sum'in....I'm so confused!!!   :-D

Funny how the talk is about cheese, did Mods break out parts of this thread many moons ago and put them into a NEW thread, "NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?" instead of just having one ""NJ Boardwalk Pizza" thread? I can't wait to see if we'll be forced to have sequels to follow:

"NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Dough?" getting put into the dough ingredients forum section(s)
"NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Sauce?" getting put into the sauce ingredients forum section(s)
"NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Herbs?" getting put into the ?????? forum section(s)
"NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Oven?" getting put into the pizza ovens forum section(s)

Not to mention Papa Dino's and Trenton pies yet.  :angel:

Why is there a California style but not a Pennsylvania style?? Nor Detroit style?

ALL that want this thread and its separate(d) Cheese thread combined please raise your hand!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:28:56 AM by matermark »

pizzapan