Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 182576 times)

Offline PaperBoy

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
ERASMO -

Does my pizza look anything like Macks?

I'm really interested in their cheese. They have such a melty, gooey consistency that I need to find.

Majority of the Pizzerias throughout Philadelphia and NJ are using Super Heavy Pizza sauce with Basil - then add their own spices.

I'm not too worried about the dough. I think that hot stone heated to around 550 will give me that crust I'm looking for. White and flaky on the top, chard brown on the bottom. Bubbling hot gooey cheese on the top with the sauce lightly swirled on top.

My main interest is this blend of cheese and that sweet sauce.

Can't wait 'til I go down the shore to get some pizza.

Another great place down the Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk is 'Preps Pizza'
I usually compare it to Mack and Manco's. It's much better because I don't have to wait in such a long line, and they have Ice Cream : )
-PaperBoy

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
I took alot of pics but am having a hard time resizing to post.

PM me your email address and I will send them to you.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Eransmo,

Great detective work!  8) Itís good you would do all the work for this thread and the forum. Wish I could have been there to help you dumpster dive.  That would have been fun.  ;D Since you sat and watched, do they put cheese on two times?  Did Mackís taste good, like I remember, with the unique taste?  What would be your opinion on how much hydration there might be in the dough, if it appeared dry?  At least now you have given a starting point for the sauce.  I wonder how that compares with Saporito, super heavy pizza sauce with fresh basil added? 

I appreciate you went to Mackís, watched and also went dumpster diving!  Let us know if you find out any more.

Thanks so much for your help,  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:45:36 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
The pics I took are of the pizza.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »
more pics

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
Good observation ERASMO.  I would agree with you about the dough in that it's likely a low hydration formula with not a lot of fermentation.  To me it's not a typical NY foldable style pizza.  It's more like a crisp, almost flat bread like pizza.   Kind of a cross between a cracker style and NY.

PaperBoy, your imitation of M & M looks very close.  Your crust appears to be a tad more breadier (sp.) than M & M but other than that, looks like I just walked into 8th and Boardwalk.  Nice work for your first run at it.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
more

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
ERASMO,

Thanks for the pictures.  :)  You sure do have me hungry for a slice!

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
Those pics are making me hungry for that pizza again.

I searched online for the sauce.  Not alot of hits on it.  I will call the company on Monday to see who carries it in the area.

Norma, The pizza had a great flavor and they did cheese it once lightly,  add sauce in a swirl and then add more cheese on top.  They also sprinkled what appeared to be oregano on before putting in the oven.  When you were eating the pizza you could see the flakes on top.

My newyork style is around 64 percent hydration, the dough they were using looked definately dryer when thet were working it.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
I also noticed that the pizzas coming out of the oven did not have alot of large bubbles.

Maybe that will be helpful with dough formulation.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
I also noticed that the pizzas coming out of the oven did not have alot of large bubbles.

Maybe that will be helpful with dough formulation.

ERASMO,

Since I am not an expert on the bubbles coming out of the oven, we can wait and see if any people might respond to that.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
Those pics are making me hungry for that pizza again.

I searched online for the sauce.  Not alot of hits on it.  I will call the company on Monday to see who carries it in the area.

Norma, The pizza had a great flavor and they did cheese it once lightly,  add sauce in a swirl and then add more cheese on top.  They also sprinkled what appeared to be oregano on before putting in the oven.  When you were eating the pizza you could see the flakes on top.

My newyork style is around 64 percent hydration, the dough they were using looked definately dryer when thet were working it.

ERASMO,

I keep scrolling back to those pictures.  I think I am now starving for a slice.  :-D  The tip on the oregano is a good one, too.

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
The not a lot of bubbles thing just tells us that it is probably a cold fermented dough that has been brought fully up to room temp before use and has been allowed to ferment a decent amount slowly.  More than likely it is not a high yeast formula.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:44:42 AM by scott r »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
scott r,

Thanks for letting us know about the bubbles and you thinking on the dough probably fermented slowly for a decent amount of time.  Do you have any ideas about the yeast amount?  Would 0.20 be too much for a 4-5 day cold ferment, in your opinion? 

I tried to call California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens in Modesto California and also tried to go on their website to get information.  It seems like either this place went out of business or someone else has taken them over.  I tried different numbers I found on the web and all say their service is disconnected.  Even their website doesnít work. 

Since they are also located in Modesto, California and so is the main office of Stanislaus, I then decided to call them to see if they had any information about California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens.  I talked to a customer service representative named Renee and she was very helpful.  I explained to her that I did use the Stanislaus products at my market stand and had even just received a poster that I had sent for because there was a slip in my last case of products for a free poster of ďTossing the Perfect Pizza PieĒ.  I then explained to her that I wanted to recreate a pie that I had remembered from many years ago and told her about what kind of pie it was and where the pizzas shops are located.  I also told her someone had gotten an empty can of the Gangi Supreme Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with basil and it was from California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens.  She then told me many people try to reproduce other peoples pizza and their sauces.  She said there was another girl in the office that had recently talked about California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens and maybe them going out of business or selling to someone else.  She said she would talk to her and call me back.  She said exactly the same thing scott r said that the Saporito extra heavy pizza sauce w basil would probably be the same.  She even said she would send me a free can to try.  Wow..was I lucky.  I told her about my market stand and how I am only making pizza one day a week.  We chatted for about 20 minutes.  Just now Renee called me back after she talked to the other girl in the office. She told me that Morningstar had bought out California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens about 5 years ago and to call Morningstar to get more information on their products.  She said she thought they still kept the name of  Gangi Supreme Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with basil.  The other girl in the office said that either Saporito extra heavy pizza sauce w basil or Full Red could be comparable.  She then said they would send me samples of both.  I then thought, what a great company, that would be willing to share so much information and even help me to find a product that wasnít theirs.  She also said so many people are trying to recreate pizzas they remembered in the past. 

I donít have time to call Morningstar today, because I have to make my dough for tomorrow.  If anyone else has the time, maybe they could call.  If not I will call them Wednesday.

Scott, thanks for your help,

Norma

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
Just talked to Morningstar.  Bova foods stocks it in our area.

I deal with savona stavola in NJ but they no longer carry it.

This is the company that sells it now.
http://www.pcoastp.com/default.aspx

Offline PaperBoy

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
Bova is a friend of mine, I do a lot of business with him (and the family)

I'm 100% positive that they carry Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce.

It's Kind of surprising that Savona/Stavola doesn't have it anymore.... Another place around this area that I am pretty sure carries it is the Restaurant Depot in Pensauken, NJ or Jetro in South Philadelphia.
-PaperBoy

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
Sorry

I was talking about the Gangi sauce from Macks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
Just talked to Morningstar.  Bova foods stocks it in our area.

This is the company that sells it now.
http://www.pcoastp.com/default.aspx

ERASMO,

Thanks for calling and finding where they have the Gangi Supreme Super Heavy Sauce with basil.  I don't get to Bova foods, but Steve (Ev) goes there different times.  I will talk to him tomorrow and see if he will pick me up some Gangi sauce the next time he goes there.

Thanks for the great detective work again,  8)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
I have gone back to the drawing board in trying to formulate a starting point for a clone Mackís or Mack and Manco pizza. 
I have thought about the longer ferment and what I might try to possibly get better results.  I looked though the New KitchenAid Dough Making Method starting at Reply #1 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.0.html I am going to keep my current formula, but go about making the dough in a different way for the first test. 
I am striving for a final dough temperature of around 65 degrees F.  I plan on just mixing the water and flour and then incorporating the IDY, salt, and then finally the oil later in the mix. Since scott r thought this dough might be a longer mix time, it got me thinking about how to go about the mix and then the longer ferment.  The reasoning behind this is, if I am trying to stimulate what Mackís might be doing to get a longer ferment, this might be something they are doing, in the heat and humidity of Wildwood or one of Mack's or Mack & Manco pizza businesses.
I donít want to try sugar at this point in the experiment.
I might need to go back to the drawing board many times.  ::)

Flour (100%):     1559.77 g  |  55.02 oz | 3.44 lbs
Water (60%):       935.86 g  |  33.01 oz | 2.06 lbs
IDY (0.20%):           3.12 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):           27.3 g | 0.96 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.69 tsp | 1.9 tbsp
Olive Oil (2.5%):      38.99 g | 1.38 oz | 0.09 lbs | 8.67 tsp | 2.89 tbsp
Total (164.45%): 2565.05 g | 90.48 oz | 5.65 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   513.01 g | 18.1 oz | 1.13 lbs

Norma
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:05:29 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
Pictured below is the brand of white cheddar I use.  Steve (Ev) and I tried to make a Mackís style pizza yesterday with my regular poolish dough just to test out the mild white cheddar.  We also mixed some mozzarella in with the cheddar. We mixed more mild white cheddar than mozzarella. I tried to flatten the dough so the pizza wouldnít have as much rim as my regular pizzas.  We used a cake decorating kit I had at market to try and replicate the hose to put on the sauce.  I think we used to much sauce. We put two layers of cheese on the pizza. Steve never tasted a Mackís pizza, but thought the pizza was good.

Of course this pizza didnít come out like a Mackís pizza, but did taste tasty. I donít know if it was my sauce or the cheese blend we used, but the taste of the sauce and cheese blend wasnít like Macksís. 

Maybe this Friday after I mix the 5 dough balls at market, I will then bring home one dough ball and try to experiment with it at home.  This might help me to understand more about how long Mackís might cold ferment the dough.  I will watch the poppy sees to see how much the dough ferments.  When thinking about how long Mackís or Mack and Manco cold-ferment their dough, I canít believe it could be a really long cold-ferment because they make so many pies in one day and donít see how they would have room to store all those dough balls for so many days.

This will probably be one of many tests.

Pictures below.

Norma

pizzapan