Author Topic: Screen or Stone?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Rick Iverson

Screen or Stone?
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
Fellas;

My surmise is the stone, but your advice is invited.

VR

Iverson

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Screen or Stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
My vote: Stone

Preheated stone... equals instant baking when the pizza dough hits it.

Screen - ambient oven heat hits it, if it is placed on a rack.

Many pizza joints use screens, but they are placed on a stoned oven, or they go through a conveyor belt
oven which you can't do at home.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
Rick Iverson,

To a degree the answer depends on the dough formulation and the crust thickness and bake time, but, in general, if the dough formulation contains little or no sugar, like a basic NY style, I would use the stone. If there is a fair amount of sugar in the dough, say, several percent (by weight of flour), or some other ingredient high in natural sugar, I would use the screen because the stone is likely to cause premature bottom crust browning or even blackening before the rest of the pizza has finished baking

You might also use a combination of screen and stone. The screen, with the dressed pizza on it, can be put directly on the stone and yanked from the oven toward the end of the bake. Or you can start the pizza on the stone and slide a pizza screen under it part way through the bake before the bottom of the crust gets too dark. In both cases, the screen lifts the pizza off of the stone surface and reduces the bottom crust coloration.

Peter

Offline Rick Iverson

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
Peter;

I am going to try your PJ's pizza dough recipe this weekend.  I noted you used a screen.  Also, I'll report back on the cheese.  Although I grew up on a dairy farm in SE Minnesota, where we routinely consumed whole milk++, I bought six pounds of Grande whole mozzarella cheese. 

VR

Iverson

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Rick,

I was trying to replicate as much as I could how PJ makes its pizzas. So, I used a screen. I have not tried the screen/stone combination I described in my last post so I can't tell you what to expect with such a method. My PJ clone doughs routinely contain better than 4% sugar.

Good luck with your pizza this weekend. If you are in a position to take some photos, I am sure the members would like to see them.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:43:25 AM »
I agree with Peter on the combo. I've been using his method of starting with the screen and finishing on the stone lately and have been liking it alot.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!