Author Topic: Pizzas with Arugula  (Read 4565 times)

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Pizzas with Arugula
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
Inspired by reading food blogs and googling, I've been recently been playing around with new recipes.  Last week, I made a 5 Cheese Pizza (Mozzarella, Provolone, Fontina, Cheddar, & Parmesan), a 3 Cheese Pizza (Mozzarella, Provolone & Parmesan), and a White Pizza with Pancetta & Red Onions.  I cut the pies into 12 slices.  I also plated some Arugula and Alfalfa Sprouts for my guests and encouraged them to top the slices with the greens and then roll them.  They were great and I'm seriously considering adding them to the menu after I crunch some numbers.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Pizzas with Arugula
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
Here are the 3 Cheese and the White Pizza with Pancetta & Red Onion Pies.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
RoadPizza,

Those are very nice looking pizzas, with a professional touch. Did you use pizza screens and, if so, did you "deck" the pizzas on the stones?

Also, can you tell me what kind of oven that is? It doesn't look familiar.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:46:57 AM »
RoadPizza,

Those are very nice looking pizzas, with a professional touch. Did you use pizza screens and, if so, did you "deck" the pizzas on the stones?

Also, can you tell me what kind of oven that is? It doesn't look familiar.

Peter

Thank you, Peter. 

Yes, I used pizza screens while baking, but transferred them to the brick as soon as I could.  I still prefer cooking straight on the bricks but this store had only a small pizza peel on hand.

This store had a Marsal oven.  We use the larger Bakers Pride decks now in the newer stores (but I prefer the old Marsal ones because they are a lot more reliable).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:06:53 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
This is what it a slice looked like getting rolled/folded.  It tasted a lot better than it looked.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:23:21 AM by RoadPizza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
RoadPizza,

By any chance, did you use a Sbarro's dough mold such as shown at Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2061.msg39550.html#msg39550 ?

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
RoadPizza,

By any chance, did you use a Sbarro's dough mold such as shown at Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2061.msg39550.html#msg39550 ?

Peter

Yes, but most of our pizza makers are also taught how to make pizza without it.  It's just a shortcut for novices; it's a very convenient training tool.  Eventually, most long-time pizza makers would prefer not to use it once they have the skill to handle dough.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:12:16 PM by RoadPizza »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »
Continuation:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
End:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
RoadPizza,

I recently discovered that Marsal and Sons, who sell ovens to Sbarro, also sells the pizza molds. Their website has a video on the subject as well as photos of the steps involved in using the mold at http://www.marsalsons.com/default.aspx?pageId=45. I didn't see any pricing, so I assume that one would have to call or email Marsal. 

Peter

Offline s00da

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
These are beatiful pies  :D

Is the folded rim intended? or is it a result of using the mold?

Saad

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
I followed up on my last post and called Marsal and spoke with one of the Ferrara's listed in the contacts section of the Marsal website who told me that the pizza mold, which is 11" in diameter, sells for $25, plus shipping. The base price is less than half the price of the pizza mold sold by Wasserstrom. The mold sold by Wasserstrom is also 11" in diameter and looks identical to the one sold by Marsal. I was told that the mold can make pizzas up to 20". To purchase a mold from Marsal, one should call Marsal (at 631-226-6688) and speak to one of their workers. There is no mechanism at their website (at http://www.marsalsons.com/default.aspx?pageId=27) to conduct online purchases.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:37:06 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »
These are beatiful pies  :D

Is the folded rim intended? or is it a result of using the mold?

Saad

The mold helps in forming the rim and keeping the dough round.  It's a great training tool.

Since we intend to display the pizzas on the counter, the more pronounced, more exact rim just "looks" better than a more natural looking one.

Offline BTB

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
Although I'm not fond of a pizza with arugula, your pictures showed some beautiful, beautiful pizzas.  Very nice job.  Where is your restaurant located?         --BTB

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »
Although I'm not fond of a pizza with arugula, your pictures showed some beautiful, beautiful pizzas.  Very nice job.  Where is your restaurant located?         --BTB

Thank you.  Though I grew up in the NYC area, I now live and work in Manila, Philippines where we operate 23 pizza restaurants.  I've been in and around the pizza business since I was 13.

We're still discussing the pizza with arugula recipes (maybe for the second half of next year); I personally like it but the costing is still coming up a little on the high end (especially with the recent typhoons).  I don't find the arugula visually appealing, but they do taste really good on a pizza.  You should give it a try.

I'm working on a Chicago-style Cheesesteak Pizza for the end of this year.  If I get some decent pictures today (when we do some R&D), I'll post them up later.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
Here is a thread about a pizza I made with arugula and bresaola:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5098.msg43437.html#msg43437

And here is a test video I made of a prosciutto and arugula pie:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsks-38n_o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsks-38n_o</a>

Both of these pies are among my very favorites.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Road Pizza, in Reply #6 it appears the oven is a Bakers Pride Il Forno Classico Oven that has had the front covered in a decorative finish. Is this correct?

I have been very fond of pizzas I have had and made using Arugula. Personally, I feel the pepperiness in fresh Arugula is best matched on a pizza when a small amount of fresh squeezed lemon is put on top of the arugula (with both the rocket and lemon added post-bake) and also when using a mixture of a soft cheese like ricotta or goat cheese and a lesser amount of a freshly shaved quite salty cheese like Pecorino Romano or even a Montegrappa.

Never tried the sprouts before. Hmnnn....gotta get some fresh sprouts going in the kitchen and will try them on a pizza. Thanks for the inspiration! --PB  :chef:
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
Nice post!
Pizza with arugula, everybody loves it! (at least in my country).
One of the champs in the pizzarias all around and my favorite too.
Neapolitan or NY style dough, tomato sauce, buffalo muzz, dried tomatoes and fresh arugula, as in the picture.
You could not go wrong with it!

Luis

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »
Road Pizza, in Reply #6 it appears the oven is a Bakers Pride Il Forno Classico Oven that has had the front covered in a decorative finish. Is this correct?

I have been very fond of pizzas I have had and made using Arugula. Personally, I feel the pepperiness in fresh Arugula is best matched on a pizza when a small amount of fresh squeezed lemon is put on top of the arugula (with both the rocket and lemon added post-bake) and also when using a mixture of a soft cheese like ricotta or goat cheese and a lesser amount of a freshly shaved quite salty cheese like Pecorino Romano or even a Montegrappa.

Never tried the sprouts before. Hmnnn....gotta get some fresh sprouts going in the kitchen and will try them on a pizza. Thanks for the inspiration! --PB  :chef:

It's a Marsal oven; we actually got rid of the decorative finish last year  ;).  I happen to be in the store today so I was able to check.  I prefer it to the Bakers Pride ovens, which seem to break down a lot more frequently (maybe from the long slow freight that brought them here, but nonetheless, they're still a headache to maintain).

I'll try the lemon juice.  Thank you for the tip.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »
I'm working on a Chicago-style Cheesesteak Pizza for the end of this year.  If I get some decent pictures today (when we do some R&D), I'll post them up later.

My cellphone battery went low batt when I tried to take a picture of the Chicago Cheesesteak.  However, I was able to take one of the White pie with Bacon, Cucumber, and Red Onions.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:42:39 PM by RoadPizza »