Author Topic: No Knead Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread  (Read 121 times)

Offline Matthew

No Knead Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
I've been having alot of fun lately experimenting with different breads.  Here's my version cinnamon raisin sourdough.  Sorry no pictures of the crumb yet, it's still cooling.  The hardest part of baking bread is waiting for it to cool down. :chef:

Matt

Offline UnConundrum

Re: No Knead Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
Did you use Ischia?  I assume you've made this before.... not sure the "sour" goes well with the cinnamon and raisins... My brain thinks sweet, not sour.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
Matt, that looks great and I am sure that it is.  I'd love to get the bakers percents and timings of what you did if so.  I have been playing around with no knead formulas lately and am really closing in on a 75% whole wheat 25% bread plus flaxmeal/flaxseed/evoo formula that comes out amazing.  I am using a bunch of starter with just a little ady to make sure it gets the full possible rise,  although i may try it without the ADY.  Actually about to bake some off tonight.  What a saturday night huh? -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:24 AM »
Did you use Ischia?  I assume you've made this before.... not sure the "sour" goes well with the cinnamon and raisins... My brain thinks sweet, not sour.

Yes it is made with Ischia.  I have made it several times in my WFO in the form of a stromboli.  I like the sweet & sour combination; the balance of flavors was very nice.  I'll definitely be making it again.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
Matt, that looks great and I am sure that it is.  I'd love to get the bakers percents and timings of what you did if so.  I have been playing around with no knead formulas lately and am really closing in on a 75% whole wheat 25% bread plus flaxmeal/flaxseed/evoo formula that comes out amazing.  I am using a bunch of starter with just a little ady to make sure it gets the full possible rise,  although i may try it without the ADY.  Actually about to bake some off tonight.  What a saturday night huh? -marc

Hey Marc,
Glad to help.  The standard kno-knead formula that I use is as follows:

16oz sifted bread flour
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 cups water
1/4 cup starter

Mix together in a glass bowl.  The best tool for this is a danish dough hook.  If you don't have one you can use a fork & then your hands.
Cover with a plastic bag & let sit @ room temperature for 18 hours.
After 18 hours gently remove from bowl & place on a floured surface & go a gentle stretch & fold on both sides & then 1 front to back.  Cover with plastic wrap & let sit for about 15 minutes.
Form into a boule & place in a proofing basket that has been sprayed lightly with olive oil & dusted with corn meal.  Cover with a cloth & do a final proof for 2 hours.
I use a Romertopf clay baker that I soak in water for about 20 minutes & then place in a cold oven.  You can use an cast iron dutch oven as well.
After an hour of the final proofing I preheat the oven to 500 degrees for about an hour.
Remove the lid & invert the loaf in the clay baker, cover & bake for 30 minutes.  Sometimes I slash the dough but it's not necessary.
After 30 minutes, I remove the lid & bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.  By this time the internal temperature of the bread should be at about 205 degrees.
Remove from baker & let cool for about 2 hours on a cooling rack.

Matt

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
Matt,  I've done the no knead thing many times and love the results,  but I was more curious about what you tweaked for the cinnamon raisin version you did.  how did it turn out?  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
Matt,  I've done the no knead thing many times and love the results,  but I was more curious about what you tweaked for the cinnamon raisin version you did.  how did it turn out?  -marc

Hey Marc,
I turned out really good.  All I did was added about 1/2 cup of California Raisins & a bit of cinnamon.  Try it out, you'll love it; I promise  ;D

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
Marc,

Some time ago, I made a Camaldoli-based no-knead raisin-walnut-cinnamon bread and reported on my results, including baker's percents, at Reply 56 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4114.msg42660.html#msg42660. Regrettably, after I stopped using my starters, I did not follow up with improvements to the bread as I had planned to do. Maybe sometime I will try a preferment using a commercial yeast in lieu of the starter.

Peter

pizzapan