Author Topic: Tomato Magic by Stanislaus  (Read 14560 times)

Offline Spurkey

Tomato Magic by Stanislaus
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »

Fellow Pizza Lovers,

I found a real nice canned tomato product this week. I was talking to one of my pizza shop guys and he was talking about his pizza sauce. ( I find myself hanging around various pizza shops, snooping) He said its real simple. Tomato Magic, some salt and sugar and apply. I suggested some pepper and he almost threw my out of the place. These guys are real sensitive about their "recipes", everyone has THE best sauce, etc. He gave me a big can to try. I was impressed, a nice brilliant red color, fresh smell and a real pleasant taste. I also put a pinch oregano on top when I made mine.

I ordered a case of 28 oz cans today from http://www.alescifoods.com    total with shipping for 12  28 oz cans was 36.10. If I was able to find the small cans somewhere I figured it would be $3. a can anyway, so I was happy with the price. This was the cheapest I found for the small cans with shipping.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tomato Magic by Stanislaus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »
Spurkey,

FYI, the Tomato Magic tomatoes from Stanislaus are considered to be the counterpart of the Escalon 6-in-1s. A case of the 28-ounce 6-in-1s from Escalon, including shipping, is $33. One difference between the two products is that the Tomato Magic contains citric acid, which some people prefer to avoid. The 6-in-1s do not include citric acid. I use both products pretty much interchangeably.

Peter

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
Peter, and I'm asking without ever using any Stanislaus product, I thought the 7/11 Ground were the equivilalent of Escalon's 6 in 1 tomatoes.  Is 7/11 unpeeled and Tomato Magic peeled?

You can beat me up with, "What do you care?  You'll just puree them anyway."  :)

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
Loo,

I don't have access to many of the Stansilaus tomatoes (although I occasionally can find the 28-ounce cans of Tomato Magic in Dallas), so I rely on our resident expert on canned tomatoes--scott r. According to scott, at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7711.msg66223.html#msg66223, both the 7/11s and the Tomato Magic are considered to be counterparts to the Escalon 6-in-1s (note also scott's comments on the citric acid issue). See also Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5570.msg47138/topicseen.html#msg47138 and also the table at http://www.pizzamaking.com/escalon_stanislaus.html.

As you can also see from the Stanislaus website at http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products, the Tomato Magic are peeled and the 7/11s are unpeeled.

I would never beat up one of the most valuable and respected members of this forum  :).

Peter

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
I was well aware of the citric acid issue I guess I just never really gave Tomato Magic any thought as being a 6 in 1 type Stanislaus product thinking that the 7/11 were the product one would use if available and Escalon's 6 in 1 were not.  Either way, there is a provider here locally that carries both the 7/11 and Tomato Magic product in #10 cans...but I have to buy an entire case.  That's a lot of tomato...but for around $35, a great price.  I'd like to get some Alta Cucina tomatoes to try out for deep dish but I'm having trouble finding them locally.

Thanks for the kind words as well.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
loo, if you are pureeing your 6 in 1's, tomato magic, or 7/11's you might want to try the full red pizza sauce.   Thats pretty much what it is, and the work is already done for you. The full red puree is also pretty much the same thing, but thicker.  (I may have that backwards, but both are similar to a pureed 6 in 1 in different viscosities)!

also, you might also want to try a few more sources.  That is a very high price for a case of stanislaus tomatoes.   I don't think you should be paying more than about $25 a case, and many places around me sell for around $20.  Don't be afraid to call vendors that say they don't do cash and carry and set up an account.  Tell them the truth, you are a home pizza maker, but you do make lots of pizza and are willing to buy cases of tomatoes and 50lb bags of flour on a fairly regular basis.  Most of the big vendors also have at least one mozzarella brand in their inventory that they break cases of.   THere are always small deli's and places where pizza is not the main event, but is on the menu, that are not able to buy whole cases of cheese.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:18:33 AM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
I just opened a big can of Stanislaus Tomato Magic and wow....love the taste.  I didn't do a side by side, but think I like these a bit better than the Eschalon 6n1s.  These also don't have any peel in them.   There is naturally derived citric acid but I didn't notice it.  The color and taste is bright red and very tomatoey.

This reminded me a lot of their Alta cucinas (blended down) and the first can tomato that I was confident in using it straight from the can.   Didn't have to add anything to them and the pies were great. 

Chau

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
Chau,

The Stanislaus Tomato Magic product is supposed to be the Stanislaus counterpart to the Escalon 6-in-1s.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks for posting this update! I love the 6 in 1's but I do not like the peels that much.Usually,I don't notice them on a pizza anyway,but if I want to make a sauce for pasta or anything,it has too much peel.I tried it that way once and wasn't too thrilled with the peels in every other bite.
 :)

-Bill

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
I just wanted to throw out a few tidbits of info about the tomato magic.     I agree!  It is one of the few tomato products that not only has a near perfect consistency right out of the can, but its also just about perfectly salted, and has a nice sweetness to it.  I am always recommending it to friends that don't want to deal with crushing their own tomatoes and thickening or doctoring them up somehow.   One thing that I have found interesting is that I have done side by side testing with these and the 6in1's (also without peel) many many times, and they flip flop back and forth,    for me  usually the 6 in1's have the slight edge, but some years the tomato magic win.  They are definitely basically the same product, but the 6 in1 can sometimes be a bit thicker (which I tend to like).   There is a little bit of tang to the tomato magic thats not there in the 6in1s (with their lack of citric acid), and I like to use the tangier tomato magic if im not using a starter.   The stanislaus brand in general works a little better with commercial yeast by bringing that little bit of acidity to the pizza that can be lacking without a starter or a tangy cheese.    This is the sauce used at the famed Sally's in New Haven, and thats one of the things that sets sally's apart from Pepes (pepes is using an italian tomato).    Enjoy Chau,  its definitely the easiest way to get a killer sauce, and nice and cheap to boot!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
chickenparm, not sure if you know this but they make three kinds of 6in1,  one thats extra chunky (for the chicago market), one thats got the peels, and one that doesn't have the peels. 

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Chau, I've recently been introduced to their 7/11 ground tomatoes and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are bright with a very strong tomato flavor. Absolutely delicious.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »
chickenparm, not sure if you know this but they make three kinds of 6in1,  one thats extra chunky (for the chicago market), one thats got the peels, and one that doesn't have the peels. 

Thanks..I'm stuck getting the All Purpose Ground tomatoes only.Is this the one famed for the peels?Its the only one a GFS close enough to me carries it without mail order.I do like the chunkier side a bit more than puree smooth at times.You just made me think of something...I'm pretty sure the GFS manager there once told me they can possibly order me anything I wanted if I did not see it on the shelves.Maybe I can ask them to order some other types.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
Chau, I've recently been introduced to their 7/11 ground tomatoes and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are bright with a very strong tomato flavor. Absolutely delicious.

Ronzo,
How are those made?Is it in heavy puree?Heavy Tomato skins or peels present? Would love to try them myself someday.
-Bill

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »
Ronzo,
How are those made?Is it in heavy puree?Heavy Tomato skins or peels present? Would love to try them myself someday.

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products According to their site, they're made with puree, skins and added tomato pectin to thicken it up. Honestly, CP, they are probably the best canned tomatoes I've had so far. Even better, in my opinion of course, than the Escalon 6 in 1.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
A good place to research Stanislaus canned tomato products is http://profileshowcase.com/WEB-AFSProfile/Share/frmSearch.aspx. Stanislaus is in the pull-down menu.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:51 PM »
the 7/11 and the tomato magic are almost the same product. 7/11 just has the peels left on.    the 7/11 parallels the ground unpeeled 6in1, and the tomato magic parallels the ground peeled 6in1.    They say the 7/11 has more flavor with those peels left on, but I really don't notice much of a difference myself.   (same with the peeled or unpeeled 6in1)  I do notice a texture difference, and if you like that texture of skin, then go with the skin on product.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:32:04 PM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
Thanks Scott, good to know my tastebuds aren't lying to me.   When I did have the 6n1's I do remember liking them very much.  I also thought at the time that they would be good for deep dish pies and sauces as well.   With the tomato magic, I was thinking that they would be good for deep dish, other sauces, AND NP pies.    For what reasons I can't explain, I didn't think they needed anything added to them which is a rare thing for me.  Maybe my taste is evolving to less spices, I don't know.

Another weird thing about Stanislaus products for me is that I've enjoyed each successive product more so than the last.  The first product was Superdolce.  Supersweet and my introduction to Stanislaus.  They were really good.  But then I opened up the Saporito Pizza sauce and I like those better.   After that came the Alta cucinas and those were really really good.  And now the tomato magic.   

I have left their Pazzaiola pizza sauce and a can of full Red Pizza Sauce.  These are all the big cans though so they take me awhile to go through, especially the super thick sauces since I end up diluting them down a bit. 

Scott, what is your opinion of their Full Red?  Are you able to compare it to any of their other sauces?  There is a new cash and carry type store that just opened up in Alb. that carries the Full Red for less than $5 a big can.  That is the only Stanislaus product they carry at the moment.  If it's good, it'll mean I won't have to pay heavy shipping fees for good sauce.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »

Ron, sounds like they are the same high quality tomatoes as the Tomato magic.  Stanislaus' thick pizza sauces like Superdolce and Saporito are a much better value b/c  they can be diluted down quite a bit, being that they are so thick.  BUT for home use and as cheap as some of these products can be I don't think I would mind using either 7/11 or the tomato magic as my goto sauce or base. 

Chau

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
full red comes in a number of thicknesses.   The one I like the best is very similar to the tomato magic or 711, but just fully smooth, with no real texture to it.  the one that is thicker is more like a paste (but not as thick as the saporito super heavy).   I think that if you like the tomato magic you will like the full red, but if I had both in front of me I would probably grab the 711 or tomato magic just because it seems more like you took a great can of tomatoes, pureed it yourself, then added in a little high quality paste to thicken it up a little.    That little bit of texture just seems more "real" to me and less like a typical chain pizza sauce.