Author Topic: DKM recipe and different sized pan  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
DKM recipe and different sized pan
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »
Help a slacker out - Deven's Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza recipe is for a 15" x 2" deep dish pan.  If I have a 12" x 2" pan, what is the percentage I should apply to Deven's deep dish dough recipe to work with a 12" pan?  Much Thanks

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DKM recipe and different sized pan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 09:52:09 PM »
Mahoney,

I don't want to see you denied the pleasure of trying out Deven's great deep-dish pizza :).

Some time ago, I took Deven's recipe and calculated the amounts of flour to use to practice his recipe using different sized deep-dish pans. You will find the flour weight calculations at Reply #15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,560.0.html. To calculate the weights of the other ingredients you will need for your specific 12-inch situation, you will have to use the baker's percents specified for Deven's recipe and multiply the weight of flour by each of those individual percentages (e.g., multiply the weight of flour by 61.1%, that is, by 0.611, to get the weight of water, etc.).  Keep in mind, however, that I based the calculations on a 2 1/4 inch pan. For your purposes, I recommend that you make your dough based on the weights for the 12-inch case and push the dough up the side of your 2-inch deep pan and over the top by about another 1/4 inch and discard the excess above the pan. That should get you fairly close.

If you have any problems calculating the amounts of ingredients you will need, or if you wish to run your calculations by me to be sure, just let me know.

Peter

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 08:37:39 PM »
Wow - great info above and in that other thread.  Thanks again Pete - greatly appreciated

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:15:37 PM »
Mahoney,

I remembered that I have a 12-inch deep dish pan that I used to make Deven's deep-dish pizza. My pan is 2 1/4-inch deep, but it is easy enough to adjust the formulation I used to reduce it to a 2-inch case. I did this tonight and have posted the new formulation below, along with the baker's percents and volume measurements. The dough ball weight should work out to just under 24 oz.

A-P flour (100%), 11.60 oz. (about 2 3/4 c.)
Water (61.1%), 7.10 oz. (about 7/8 c.)
Cornmeal (19.5%), 2.30 oz. (1/2 c. less 1T.)
Canola oil (19.5%), 2.30 oz. (a bit less than 3 1/2 T.)
IDY (0.94%), 0.11 oz. (a bit over 1 t.)
Sugar (2.1%), 0.25 oz. (1 3/4 t.)
Salt (1.4%), 0.16 oz. (a bit less than 7/8 t.)

When I made the 12-inch deep dish based on Deven's recipe, I used IDY, as noted above. I also substituted Smart Balance spread for the canola oil, on a weight-for-weight basis. To get a Gino's type of color for the crust, I added a few drops of McCormick food-grade yellow dye coloring to the dough during kneading. The 12-inch deep dish that I ended up with is shown at Reply #28 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,638.msg6803.html#msg6803. That version was a "lite" version of Deven's recipe which, if you note, I didn't think so much of at the time I made it but later discovered was quite good.

Good luck. Please let me know how the pizza turns out, so that I can tell whether the formulation for the 12-inch, 2-inch deep pan requires any modification based on your results or recommendations.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:50:26 PM by Pete-zza »