Author Topic: Working with 00 Flour in a NY Stlye  (Read 1771 times)

Offline torontonian

Working with 00 Flour in a NY Stlye
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Hi All,

I've had some real great success using the Lehmann recipe supplied to me by Pete:

Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (1.75%):
Total (164.15%):
Single Ball:
793.03 g  |  27.97 oz | 1.75 lbs
491.68 g  |  17.34 oz | 1.08 lbs
3.17 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.05 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
13.88 g | 0.49 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.49 tsp | 0.83 tbsp
1301.76 g | 45.92 oz | 2.87 lbs | TF = 0.1015
325.44 g | 11.48 oz | 0.72 lbs
Note: Nominal thickness factor = 0.10; for four 12" pizzas; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

I've tried a number of other recipes (PH, RT, PJ clones, as well as few others), but for my taste I keep coming back to the Lehmann.

I came across some 00 flour, and wanted to give it a try. Given the different hydration characteristics of the 00, how would you suggest I modify the water content in the above recipe?

I know that 00 suits higher temp cooking, so just FYI I have modified my oven to get well above the 550 limit.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

-- Josh

Offline Matthew

Re: Working with 00 Flour in a NY Stlye
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
The absorption rate for Caputo 00 flour is 55-57%.  My typical formulation is about 58%. 

Matt

I made the assumption that you are using Caputo 00 but if I recall I believe that you may be using Divella which if memory serves me correctly is the same.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:14:44 PM by Matthew »

Offline torontonian

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »
Thanks Matt.

The brand is "Mollini Pizzuti 00"

So are you suggesting I would be OK in using the recipe as stated, but going with 58% water instead of the original 62%?

Cheers,
Josh

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
Thanks Matt.

The brand is "Mollini Pizzuti 00"

So are you suggesting I would be OK in using the recipe as stated, but going with 58% water instead of the original 62%?

Cheers,
Josh

I think you should be okay using 58% as a starting point. I have never used that brand so I can't say for sure.  Give it a shot & then you could continue to make  modifications until you come up with a formula that you are happy with.  Where did you buy the flour?

Matt

Offline torontonian

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
I bought it Michaelangelo's in Markham. Picked up some canned D.O.C. San Marzano's well - Mara's brand.

I will try the Lehmann recipe with 58% and go from there.

Thanks!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
I bought it Michaelangelo's in Markham. Picked up some canned D.O.C. San Marzano's well - Mara's brand.

I will try the Lehmann recipe with 58% and go from there.

Thanks!

if you're not happy with that flour you can pick up Divella pizza flour @ Grande cheese on Orfus rd. I have a distributor for Caputo but you'll have to buy a 55 lb bag.

Good luck.
Matt

Offline torontonian

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
I made two pizzas with this dough (Lehmann NY formula, with 00 flour at 58% hydration).

I actually was not too pleased with the results. Not sure if its the recipe, the flour, or simply my expectations. My observations:

- it was really chewy (too chewy)
- once served, the bottom got really wet and soggy quite quickly

The oven was very hot when cooked the pizza. Total cook time about 2 minutes. I had to pull the pizzas out after 30 seconds, as the bottoms were starting to char on the bottom (put on hot stone). I pulled them out and put them on a cold stone and back in the oven for the remaining 1:30.

Any suggestions, or is this flour simply better suited for a neapolitan recipe (haven't tried one yet)

Thanks,
Josh

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
I made two pizzas with this dough (Lehmann NY formula, with 00 flour at 58% hydration).

I actually was not too pleased with the results. Not sure if its the recipe, the flour, or simply my expectations. My observations:

- it was really chewy (too chewy)
- once served, the bottom got really wet and soggy quite quickly

The oven was very hot when cooked the pizza. Total cook time about 2 minutes. I had to pull the pizzas out after 30 seconds, as the bottoms were starting to char on the bottom (put on hot stone). I pulled them out and put them on a cold stone and back in the oven for the remaining 1:30.

Any suggestions, or is this flour simply better suited for a neapolitan recipe (haven't tried one yet)

Thanks,
Josh

Josh,
Are you sure that this flour is pizza flour?  Not all tipo 00 is suitable for pizza.

Matt

Offline torontonian

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
D-oh  >:(

Newbie error possibly. The brand I used - Molini Pizzuti - had two flours on the shelf - a "Tipo 00" (which I used for the pizzas in question) and a "Pizza Flour".

I suppose I assumed that all "00"'s are equal (brand aside) and that the "Pizza" flour was more like a bread flour or APF in terms of fineness of the mill.

Here's a pic of the two bags. Luckily I bought a bunch of each.

I checked out the website: www.molinipizzuti.it , and it describes the "00" as an all purpose flour for general use though...

-- Josh

pizzapan