Author Topic: New Here, Hi All. This is my NY style Spinach/Goat Cheese Pizza  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: New Here, Hi All. This is my NY style Spinach/Goat Cheese Pizza
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Making those awesome looking pies, the force might have been with you all along  :-D

This is what my high-tech oven can produce in 8 minutes using "pizza mode" http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9027.msg80271.html#msg80271

Call me "Luke".  ;D

Your pies look good but I'd use no feature at all with your oven and just do the bake instead of using the "pizza mode".
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
Essen,  re crust coloration.  Are you still using the stone burr?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:09:22 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline s00da

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
Call me "Luke".  ;D

Your pies look good but I'd use no feature at all with your oven and just do the bake instead of using the "pizza mode".

With this beast I have, I don't need the home oven http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8363.msg73300.html#msg73300

But I guess for this coming experiment, I'll go with your recommendation. Which raises a question, by bake mode, do you mean just use the upper and lower element of the oven?

Offline s00da

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for the help. I took liberty in modifying the formula a little to suit my measuring tools.

Flour (100%):
Water (60.08%):
IDY (0.357%):
Salt (01.75%):
Olive Oil (2.01%):
Sugar (1.05%):
Total (165.247%):
Single Ball:
475.95 g  |  16.79 oz | 1.05 lbs
285.95 g  |  10.09 oz | 0.63 lbs
1.7 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.56 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
8.33 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.49 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
9.57 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.13 tsp | 0.71 tbsp
5 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
786.49 g | 27.74 oz | 1.73 lbs | TF = 0.0901086
393.25 g | 13.87 oz | 0.87 lbs

I will make 2x366g balls and the rest will be for my kid to play with.

The fridge is really cold so I'll try a 2-day fermentation.

Saad

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
Hi All,
All these pies look amazing!  Even with all your oven temperatures and different methods of baking I don't think I could pick which one I liked best, until I tasted the different pies.  :)
I decided today to use some little dough balls, 4oz. that I had intentionally left in the deli case since last week.  Although the dough almost looked gray, the pies turned out great.  I did baked these pies at 525 degrees F. 
I think I might be back on topic because the one pie I baked was Spinach/Feta cheese and olive pizza..lol  The other pizza I used from the dough that had been in the deli case since 11/16/09 was a cheese pizza.  It also was a 4 oz. dough ball.
Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2009, 12:44:10 AM »
With this beast I have, I don't need the home oven http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8363.msg73300.html#msg73300

But I guess for this coming experiment, I'll go with your recommendation. Which raises a question, by bake mode, do you mean just use the upper and lower element of the oven?

Saad,

I only use the lower element before doing the last minute or so under the broiler to finish it off. However, sometimes I omit the broiler altogether, it depends.

I have a 14"x16" cordierite stone from American Metalcraft on the lowest rack setting and let it preheat for quite sometime before putting the pizza on.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »
Essen,  re crust coloration.  Are you still using the stone burr?

I do.

But lately I have been using a 50/50 mix between the Stone Buhr BF and the KABF.
Mike

Offline s00da

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
Mike, what's your usual bake time? just for comparison sake.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »
essen,  I ask because I am wondering if the stone burr flour has any malted barley in it.  If it does not it may explain your coloration issue.   You may be getting 50% less coloration than usin all KA?  -marc

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Mike, what's your usual bake time? just for comparison sake.

Usually around 8 mins, give or take a minute. It really depends on how everything's coming together on the pizza, i.e. cheese melting, toppings cooked, etc.

Marc,

I don't think it has any malted barley in it. It says nothing on the bag and I couldn't find any info on it on their website.

I discussed the flour before here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7727.0

http://stone-buhr.com/

Mike

Offline s00da

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
As I posted earlier, today I baked 2 identical pizzas in 2 different ovens from the same dough as per this formulation http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9615.msg84234.html#msg84234

The dough was cold-fermented in the fridge for 24 hours. They were taken outside to room temperature for 60 minutes. I noticed they didn't rise much and I believe it's due to the fridge being very cold. But I could also be wrong because I'm used to 64% hydration doughs fermented for 24-hours at room temperature. Such doughs rise and bubble real well.

Both ovens, my electric home oven and my brick-lined gas oven were fired and allowed to reach 550 F. I baked both pizzas for 8 minutes. There was one difference that the pizza in the electric oven was moved to the upper wire rack in the last 2 minutes for top bake.

I tested one dough ball by indenting it with my finger. It did not spring back. The dough balls felt a little stiff and I worried they might resist opening but it wasn't the case. The dough opened up to a nice skin that was extremely easy to handle. I think I could have stretched it forever. The skin showed minimal bubbling. As I dress the skin, it did not shrink back at all.

The pizzas tasted exactly the same except that the one baked in the brick-lined oven had a slightly drier and more crisp bottom. A side by side comparison in the below image shows also that the slice (from the brick-lined oven) on the right-hand side had more darker spots.

While the difference between the 2 pizzas wasn't much, I still think the experiment wasn't that reliable. The main reason is the way the pizza was baked in the electric oven by moving it to the upper rack for the last 2 minutes. I suspect that if it was left to bake on the stone for the whole duration, it might have resulted in similar characteristics to the the pizza baked in the brick-lined oven.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2009, 08:38:44 AM »

The dough was cold-fermented in the fridge for 24 hours. They were taken outside to room temperature for 60 minutes. I noticed they didn't rise much and I believe it's due to the fridge being very cold. But I could also be wrong because I'm used to 64% hydration doughs fermented for 24-hours at room temperature. Such doughs rise and bubble real well.

I tested one dough ball by indenting it with my finger. It did not spring back. The dough balls felt a little stiff ...

Maybe this is part of some experiment I'm not privy to, but these 2 statements go hand in hand to me. The stiffness and 0 spring with the 60 minutes that is. I'd blame the lack of rise on the ball still being cold, over the fridge. I usually room temp rise about 3-4, so why such a short rise if I may ask?
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline s00da

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
I'm not much of a cold-fermentation user but I'm sure that this approach (that I borrowed from other members)assumes the dough is well fermented and 60 minutes are enough to bring it to room temp but I think whatever time required works.

It really depends on the temperature of your fridge... To tell you the truth, I've also made a newbie mistake because I just found out that my dough was not fermented at all. How did I find out? cuz of the rough time I had digesting the slices I ate last night  :(

So today I put my temperature logger into the fridge to know what's happening in there. As you see from the image below, it was frozen!

So in conclusion, it's better to say allow the dough to come to room temperature putting in mind the temperature of the fridge.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
I believe with the course of time, things just fall perfectly together ;)

It seems that Dom started his pizzeria using Caputo flour and then he added American flour as a result of his search for crust coloration. Looking at this Reply 79 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg9986.html#msg9986 Dom seems happy about the coloration he's getting from the American flour. I am pretty sure that he wouldn't like the results if his dough was 100% all trumps as he would've resorted to lowering his baking temp and adding oil....I think it's very unlikely that adding Caputo was intentional to lessen the coloration....but who knows, right?  :-D

Saad
I added Caputo flour to reduce coloration which allows me to bake for a longer time I also move the pizza onto a screen if the bottom is getting too dark. I think that's the key to getting an even bake in a gas deck oven.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »

But can someone tell me why DiFara's cheese looks so orange??
It's just the sauce showing through the cheese making the cheese look orange.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
It's just the sauce showing through the cheese making the cheese look orange.

tdeane's right.  I believe that the intense heat of the oven melts the cheese so quickly that it mixes with the sauce.