Author Topic: Domino's Pizza Redesign  (Read 15729 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Re: Domino's Pizza Redesign
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
I tried the new Domino's pie.

Don't repeat my mistake.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
I received word today from Domino's that the ingredients for their new hand-tossed crust pizzas is available at their website. It appears that the nutrition information for a couple of their pizzas is not yet available. In the Domino's reply, the customer care person referred to the new pizza as "inspired".

I went through the list of ingredients and it appears that 1) the basic dough is the same but the corn meal may no longer be used in processing, 2) the crust is seasoned with a buttery flavored blend and a garlic-herb blend that includes red pepper, 3) the sauce is sweeter, and 4) the cheese includes provolone. I'm not exactly certain at this point, but I believe that the pizza includes the following components:

HAND TOSSED CRUST
Contains
Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid]

GARLIC OIL BLEND
Contains
Butter Flavored Oil [Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (color), TBHQ and Citric Acid added to Protect Flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane, an Anti-Foaming Agent added], Palm Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Imitation Parmesan Cheese [Water, Food Starch, Casein, Caseinate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Powder, Whey, Salt, Stabilizers (Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan), Modified Food Starch, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphates, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid (as a preservative)], Salt, Modified Food Starch, Spice, Flavors [Natural Butter Flavor (Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Enzyme-Modified Butter Oil, Annatto & Turmeric, for color), Natural Flavors (contains Canola Oil and Lipolyzed Butter Oil)], Lactic Acid, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake, Citric Acid, Oleoresin Garlic (Tri-glycerides, Soy Oil, Natural Flavor, Mono-diglycerides) and no greater than 2% Silicon Dioxide added to prevent caking.

GARLIC AND HERB SHAKE-ON
Contains
Garlic, Onion, Spices (Black Pepper, Fennel, Parsley, Basil, Bay Leaves, Marjoram, Oregano, Savory, Thyme, Red Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Mustard, Rosemary, and Celery Seed), *Carrot, *Orange Peel, Natural Flavor, Flavor (Natural Flavoring, Soy Lecithin), and no greater than 2% Soybean Oil added as a processing aid. *Dehydrated.

PIZZA SAUCE
Contains
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Salt, Spices, Garlic, Soybean Oil, and Citric Acid

PIZZA CHEESE
Contains
Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch, Cellulose (Added To Prevent Caking), Nonfat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Flavors, Sodium Propionate (Added as a Preservative).

PROVOLONE CHEESE (SHREDDED)
Contains
Provolone Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Nonfat Milk, Sodium Propionate (Added As A Preservative).

It's possible that in lieu of the Garlic Oil Blend listed above a so-called Phase Oil Blend is used, with the following components:

PHASE OIL (BUTTER FLAVORED OIL)
Contains
Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), TBHQ And Citric Acid (Added To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane, An Anti-Foaming Agent Added

I also saw a seriouseats analysis of the new Domino's pizza at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/how-does-dominos-new-pizza-recipe-taste-what-is-it-like.html.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
Peter,  looks like you were right about the number of chemicals involved going up and not down.  Its so bizarre to me that I am sure the use regular ingredients for testing out the flavors and then reverse engineer it themselves to a)cheapen it,  and b)make the components last almost indefinitely,  as opposed to keeping it fresh.  I would never eat that list of ingredients.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »
Marc,

I tried counting all of the ingredients but I kept getting tripped up by all of the things in parentheses and brackets that were wrapped around each other. I think there are around 113 different ingredients. Or fewer if the Phase Oil is used instead of the Garlic Oil Blend.

I think it is possible to "skinny" the ingredients list down to come up with "real" ingredients that should make a pretty decent pizza if you like the American Papa John's/Domino's style. The dough is structurally a lot like the PJ dough if one compares the ingredients and pecking order of the ingredients. I have all of the herbs and named spices, which are real ingredients, and I would use real butter as part of the garlic oil blend, and it would be easy to add a bit of provolone to a good quality mozzarella cheese. I would perhaps go with a better sauce from the tomatoes side. I assume that they did not change the dough ball weights. We know what those are from what a former Domino's employee posted a while back.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
I worked at Domino's a thousand years ago (okay, 25), and I'm positive the pizza was much better. I actually enjoyed it back then. Someone tell me I'm not imagining this.

I remember seeing the ingredients in the cooler. They used big tubs of mozzarella pellets, breakfast sausage instead of Italian, and canned sauce that was supposedly designed by Tom Monaghan himself. We were told the sauce had grated cheese as an ingredient. It wasn't bad at all. They sent it ready to use, as I recall. Could have saved shipping charges by using concentrate, but they didn't.

The crust was thick and a little puffy, but I didn't consider that a flaw. Just a style.

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »
Yup, no doubt, all the chains had better pizza 25 years ago.  For Papa Johns, I think it was more like 8 years ago that it was good.  Someone told me that it's getting better...but haven't dared try after the fake cheese taste that I had last time. 

Offline Crider

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
I assume the dough comes frozen? I've never tried freezing dough myself, but perhaps that's an important step to duplicating crappy chain pizza! :-D

It surprised me how many different chemicals they used as dough conditioners. I've used fresh whey before when I had it and it did magical things to the flavor and handling of the dough. I doubt they used fresh whey anyway.

It just seems kinda weird that so many of their ingredients require them being made with preservatives. That's one of the downfalls of corporate franchise restaurants. They go through so many ingredients in a day that there's no excuse they can't go fresh with their dough or cheese, but its all gotta be shipped from the home-office warehouse. What a racket!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »
Crider,

Unless Domino's changed their dough management with the new redesigned pizzas, I believe that the dough is still fresh dough. A while back, I chatted with a Domino's employee in a supermarket checkout line and confirmed that the dough balls delivered to their stores are fresh, although apparently quite cold. Like Papa John's, Domino's uses a commissary business model and makes twice a week deliveries to their stores from their commissaries via refrigerated trucks. That means that all the workers in the stores have to do is assemble pizzas, not make fresh dough, shred cheeses, etc. Theoretically, since they should be using pretty much the same ingredients, so long as the store workers follow the Domino's manual (which isn't always the case as it turns out), the finished product should be of like quality. With the commissary business model, there is also better protection of trade secrets, including sources, because all of that information is not revealed to even their own workers and those of licensees at the store level. I believe one of the few major pizza chains to continue to make fresh dough in their stores is Sbarro, although I don't know if that applies to all of their stores. Pizza Hut has gone to mainly frozen doughs in the U.S., but they still make fresh dough in many of their stores outside of the U.S.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:58 PM »
They used to wheel it into the walk-in on a rack, in trays covered with little oiled aluminum containers.

Offline Crider

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:14 PM »
I believe one of the few major pizza chains to continue to make fresh dough in their stores is Sbarro, although I don't know if that applies to all of their stores. Pizza Hut has gone to mainly frozen doughs in the U.S., but they still make fresh dough in many of their stores outside of the U.S.
Does Little Caesars still make their dough in-house, or did they go over to the dark side?

Offline tcarlisle

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »
Folks,

Talking about Domino's "pizza" in here.... well, let me just say that the worst pizza any forum member makes is better than the best any chain can make. Eating Domino's or Papa John's or whatever is like slumming it. So for me, judging a product like this is to be done against it's peers -- not great pizza as we all know it.

I like in the metro NY region, and these chains don't do as well as they do the further you from this region. I expect that is because here we have thousands of independent folks making great pizza's, with the majority of them being Italian American. But even with al that available, sometimes you just want something quick and cheap. And that's what Domino's is.

If I go online right now and order, it is at my door in about 20 minutes on average. Even if I happen to have dough fermenting in the fridge and have all my ingredients, I can't do that in 20 minutes from the time I decide I want a pizza.I can't even heat my oven in 20 minutes. And as far as cost, I can't make a pizza for what they charge. Well, I can but I don't. If I were to constrain myself to the cost of what their pizza costs, mine wouldn't taste as good as theirs.

Franchises are supposed to be uniform, but the reality is there are good stores and bad ones. Yeah, they get the ingredients from the corporation and follow the same process, but how fresh those ingredients are, how much of those ingredients you get, etc is variable depending on the store. And of course store cleanliness and sanitary practices play a part too. I can tell the store I use is above average.

I am a fan of the redesign. It is an improvement in taste. I used to prefer Papa J's and now this is the top in my opinion. Is it a great pizza against the field of a pizza made by us, or an independent who has been making pizza's for 40 years? No. But in comparison to it's peers, it is impressive.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
Does Little Caesars still make their dough in-house, or did they go over to the dark side?

Crider,

That's a good question. I don't know the answer offhand but will look into it when I have a chance.

Peter

Offline Guyver

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »
 :pizza: When i tried domino's pizza in high school they always had the thick crust pizza but the thin crust i never got to try yet. Why would they remake the whole thing anyways? I just don't get that. Usually its better to stick with what you started with so people will come back for more, but now since they remade their thin  crust it seems like there not gonna get as much customers as they use too.  :pizza:
If you love eating pizza, you'll love making pizza!

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »
I can honestly say that I have never tasted a single slice of Domino's pizza, I have had one of their newer sandwich offerings, And I was pleased with what I got, well the first one I got was good, the last 2 times the same style sandwich sucked, and sucked big. I took off what I felt comfortable giving to the pooches, and tossed the rest outside for the cyotes & coons to argue over, and it even took a while for it to leave with the ravens & crows.

We have a domino's franchise in our little town of slightly over 5K people (5K fulltime year-round residents, summer it baloons to near 80K)

They lasted less than 6 weeks after opening, they went under due to lack of business or working capital. Then another local business owner got the franchise, and it has been bleeding money fairly regularly, but not enough to call it quits quite yet from what I am seeing.
I plan to open my place 2 miles away, but in the downtown area that has huge foot traffic during the daytime that consists mostly of hungry grumpy tourists. and a known local hang-out area at the same time. I hate to see a local lose his butt on the franchise, but at the same time I hope to pick up any extra traffic that I can.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline sear

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
the only pizza i have from there is their bacon cheese burger pie, my friend talked me into... its not bad
only difference i could tell with their "new recipe" is the garlic on the crust.
for some reason when you order a x-large its 16 , when you order a large its 18 .... genius !

and i donno wtf their employees do there since everything is already prepped, but they sure as hell cant deliver a pizza 2 miles down the road in under 50 minutes :-D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »
These guys are nuts. The worst product rollout I could ever imagine. There's a website with a 4 minute video admitting that their pizza sucks, but that they're changing their ways. I've enver had a Domino's, but now I doubt I'd EVER want to get one. Have a look.

http://www.pizzaturnaround.com/

interesting video.  Dominoes is smart to use this as another marketing ploy.  Letting ppl know that they are listening and trying to improve their pizza.  No doubt the new pie is better, but you can not make a pizza to fit everyone's taste.  Some ppl are going to complain about a particular pie no matter what.   You have guys that love Chicago style and hate NY style and vice versa. 

And then you have the teenage workers who don't give 2 sh*ts about their work, who slop everything together.  You can have a great dough and good ingredients but if the kid behind the oven doesn't do a half decent job of putting it together and baking it properly, you get a crappy pie.

Cool vid (marketing) though,  makes me want to try their new pizza!  Would be funny if after visiting that lady in the video, she says your pizza still tastes like cardboard.   :-D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:30:50 PM by Tranman »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »
Cool vid (marketing) though,  makes me want to try their new pizza!  Would be funny if after visiting that lady in the video, she says your pizza still tastes like cardboard.   :-D

If you watch for some of their latest commercials, they are already doing this.  They supposedly go back to some of the folks who dissed their "old" pizza and have them try a new Dominos pizza with predictable results.  I even saw one commercial where they are taking potshots at Papa Johns.  ::)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
the videos are pretty funny.  if you scroll down they visit the people who said bad things about their pizza .\

we used to order dominoes when i was like 10 but it has since gone out of business.

the big 3 are really non existent here - as tcarlisle was saying. there are a few around but i don't know anyone who buys from them.

i know for example, they have them on the highway near hotels, where they probably have partner advertising  going on.
Patrick

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
When I need a quick fix, my drug of choice is Pizza Butt's pan pizza or their breadsticks dipped in their sauce.  Yumm.... :-D

Also love to eat those really cheap frozen pizzas called "totinos".  I grew up eating a ton of those.  I don't even know if you can call it a pizza but hot out of the toaster oven, those are great. 

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »
I tried a slice of the "new" at a neighbors house last week and was not at all impressed.  To me it was too thick, a pasty almost tasteless sauce, and flat cheese.  Then that overwhelming taste of garlic. 

pizzapan