Author Topic: Domino's Pizza Redesign  (Read 18108 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Domino's Pizza Redesign
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
For those members who are Domino's Pizza lovers, they should get ready for the redesign of the core DP hand tossed crust and the sauce and cheese, scheduled for introduction by the end of this month: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-12-16-dominos16_ST_N.htm. I checked the Domino's website but the ingredients statements and nutrition information for the redesigned pizzas is not yet available.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Domino's Pizza Redesign
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »
Peter,  thats pretty crazy. Butter,  garlic and hot pepper is what I took away from that.  They must want them all to taste like Buffalo wings.  I see you were looking for the nutrition data.  I can only assume you might have this one engineered before its debut.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »
Marc,

LOL...Curiosity got the better of me. Since the product hasn't been introduced yet, I figured that the ingredients statements and nutrition information wouldn't be out yet. But, it was easy enough to check out. In due course, we should get a good idea as to what the redesign constitutes. I think a lot of it will be a chemical factory in the dough.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »
Huh,  I didn't think of the chemicals involved.  When I first read the subject of your post I thought maybe they were going all natural,  or towards health.  But no,  why would they,  that would be to difficult.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
Marc,

I suppose that it is possible but the trend among all of the major pizza chains is to go to off-site manufactured doughs that use a lot of additives. I was in a Trader Joe's and a Stop and Shop a few months ago and even they have gone to doughs that contain a lot of additives. Previously, the doughs were made only of flour, water, salt, yeast and maybe oil. I believe that Sbarro is one of the few majors who still make doughs in their stores using basic ingredients.

In Domino's case, if you go to their website and look at the ingredients section, the heading reads as follows:

NATURE'S TASTY LITTLE BUILDING BLOCKS
Keep reading. We're about to divulge our oldest secret to success and the key to a delicious meal: Really good ingredients.

Then, in the following section, the ingredients for their hand-tossed dough reads as follows:

HAND TOSSED CRUST
Contains
Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid], Corn Meal (used in preparation)

I guess these are "nature's tasty little building blocks" and "really good ingredients".

Peter

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I see Peter already beat me to it.  Just saw it on Yahoo  ;D.  Here's a link to the Yahoo's story.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/108410/dominos-latest-to-alter-product
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
Just tried the new 'za today.  Always hated chains (well, loved Papa Johns circa 2001...downhill since), but it was pretty edible.  Waaay better than the old stuff.  But, like every other chain 'za, except maybe Jets around here, everything was 'soft' - cheese, crust...sauce was ok.  I hope other chains follow suit and at least move in the direction of better ingredients.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
forget the chains find a good independent and support .

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »
One thing I noticed is the latest pies we ordered from Papa John's were MUCH better than the last time (and they're usually pretty decent for "fast food" pizza).  Much more ingredients and now extra cheese means extra cheese.  I wonder if they've decided to improve their product in order to compete with Domino's changed recipe.

Offline Crider

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »
These guys are nuts. The worst product rollout I could ever imagine. There's a website with a 4 minute video admitting that their pizza sucks, but that they're changing their ways. I've enver had a Domino's, but now I doubt I'd EVER want to get one. Have a look.

http://www.pizzaturnaround.com/

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
Hardee's did a very similar thing back in 2003.  The head of the company appeared in an ad and apologized for the bad burgers and said they were going to turn it around with their new Thickburger menu.  From what I can tell it worked pretty well.

Offline Crider

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
Ditch the chains, break the chains, go to your favorite independent Pizzaiolo's shop if you are going to buy pizza.  The mega chains are killing the independent restaurants and homogenizing the American pallet. 

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
I broke my long-standing practice of making my own pizza just to try out the new Domino's pizza last week.  It's better.  It's not a lot better.  It's still last place among the major chains as far as I'm concerned.  The crusts on the pizzas I ordered were dry, tough, and had a burnt butter flavor.  I wanted to order once more from another store just to be fair, but it was such a waste of money and taste receptor milage I'm not sure if I will.

- red.november

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
I remember in my MBA program studying the major make overs in corporate history.  The one that comes to mind on this is the remake of Coke.  That one went well didn't it. 

When I was a teenager loved domino's had lot's of sauce and topings.  Had not had one in ages and man have they gone down hill.  Too sweet and hardly and sauce and skimpy on the toppings.  Good luck to them, but I doubt I'll try it unless I hear a lot of reviews that are positive. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »
2 pies with 2 topping $5.99 ea. ? sounds a bit desperate to me.
but just maybe for old time sake and some input into this thread  I will break down and Split the order with someone no way I am doin 2 even at $2.99  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »
A pizza operator who posts at the PMQ Think Tank recently purchased a Domino's Philly Cheesestake pizza and posted his impressions at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8626&p=58091#p58091. The photos can be enlarged to get more yummy detail by clicking on the photos.

Peter

Offline gorbachevguy

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »
My wife and I got home from a friends house late late last saturday night and were pretty hungry so we ordered a dominos pizza.  I guess we figured we'd give the new recipe a try.  Boy, what a waste of 12 bucks (plus an 8 dollar tip to the driver....always feel bad for the dudes working after midnight on the weekends).  On the bright side, I'd sure made my wife and I thank our lucky stars we can crank out better pizza ourselves  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
A few weeks ago, I sent an email to Domino's asking about the nutrition/ingredients information for their revamped pizzas. From time to time, I would check their website in search of that information, to no avail. I also did not get a reply to my email. However, tonight I saw a statement at the Domino's website at http://www.dominos.com/home/menu/nutrition.jsp that the nutrition information for their small (10") and medium (12") Thin Crust Pizzas "will be available soon". With all the revamping of their pizzas, I would have thought that the nutrition information would have been available at the time of the rollout of the new pizza.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
I tried the new Domino's pie.

Don't repeat my mistake.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
I received word today from Domino's that the ingredients for their new hand-tossed crust pizzas is available at their website. It appears that the nutrition information for a couple of their pizzas is not yet available. In the Domino's reply, the customer care person referred to the new pizza as "inspired".

I went through the list of ingredients and it appears that 1) the basic dough is the same but the corn meal may no longer be used in processing, 2) the crust is seasoned with a buttery flavored blend and a garlic-herb blend that includes red pepper, 3) the sauce is sweeter, and 4) the cheese includes provolone. I'm not exactly certain at this point, but I believe that the pizza includes the following components:

HAND TOSSED CRUST
Contains
Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid]

GARLIC OIL BLEND
Contains
Butter Flavored Oil [Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (color), TBHQ and Citric Acid added to Protect Flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane, an Anti-Foaming Agent added], Palm Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Imitation Parmesan Cheese [Water, Food Starch, Casein, Caseinate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Powder, Whey, Salt, Stabilizers (Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan), Modified Food Starch, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphates, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid (as a preservative)], Salt, Modified Food Starch, Spice, Flavors [Natural Butter Flavor (Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Enzyme-Modified Butter Oil, Annatto & Turmeric, for color), Natural Flavors (contains Canola Oil and Lipolyzed Butter Oil)], Lactic Acid, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake, Citric Acid, Oleoresin Garlic (Tri-glycerides, Soy Oil, Natural Flavor, Mono-diglycerides) and no greater than 2% Silicon Dioxide added to prevent caking.

GARLIC AND HERB SHAKE-ON
Contains
Garlic, Onion, Spices (Black Pepper, Fennel, Parsley, Basil, Bay Leaves, Marjoram, Oregano, Savory, Thyme, Red Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Mustard, Rosemary, and Celery Seed), *Carrot, *Orange Peel, Natural Flavor, Flavor (Natural Flavoring, Soy Lecithin), and no greater than 2% Soybean Oil added as a processing aid. *Dehydrated.

PIZZA SAUCE
Contains
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Salt, Spices, Garlic, Soybean Oil, and Citric Acid

PIZZA CHEESE
Contains
Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch, Cellulose (Added To Prevent Caking), Nonfat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Flavors, Sodium Propionate (Added as a Preservative).

PROVOLONE CHEESE (SHREDDED)
Contains
Provolone Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Nonfat Milk, Sodium Propionate (Added As A Preservative).

It's possible that in lieu of the Garlic Oil Blend listed above a so-called Phase Oil Blend is used, with the following components:

PHASE OIL (BUTTER FLAVORED OIL)
Contains
Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), TBHQ And Citric Acid (Added To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane, An Anti-Foaming Agent Added

I also saw a seriouseats analysis of the new Domino's pizza at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/how-does-dominos-new-pizza-recipe-taste-what-is-it-like.html.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
Peter,  looks like you were right about the number of chemicals involved going up and not down.  Its so bizarre to me that I am sure the use regular ingredients for testing out the flavors and then reverse engineer it themselves to a)cheapen it,  and b)make the components last almost indefinitely,  as opposed to keeping it fresh.  I would never eat that list of ingredients.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »
Marc,

I tried counting all of the ingredients but I kept getting tripped up by all of the things in parentheses and brackets that were wrapped around each other. I think there are around 113 different ingredients. Or fewer if the Phase Oil is used instead of the Garlic Oil Blend.

I think it is possible to "skinny" the ingredients list down to come up with "real" ingredients that should make a pretty decent pizza if you like the American Papa John's/Domino's style. The dough is structurally a lot like the PJ dough if one compares the ingredients and pecking order of the ingredients. I have all of the herbs and named spices, which are real ingredients, and I would use real butter as part of the garlic oil blend, and it would be easy to add a bit of provolone to a good quality mozzarella cheese. I would perhaps go with a better sauce from the tomatoes side. I assume that they did not change the dough ball weights. We know what those are from what a former Domino's employee posted a while back.

Peter

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
I worked at Domino's a thousand years ago (okay, 25), and I'm positive the pizza was much better. I actually enjoyed it back then. Someone tell me I'm not imagining this.

I remember seeing the ingredients in the cooler. They used big tubs of mozzarella pellets, breakfast sausage instead of Italian, and canned sauce that was supposedly designed by Tom Monaghan himself. We were told the sauce had grated cheese as an ingredient. It wasn't bad at all. They sent it ready to use, as I recall. Could have saved shipping charges by using concentrate, but they didn't.

The crust was thick and a little puffy, but I didn't consider that a flaw. Just a style.