Author Topic: Favorite Christmas Pizza Gifts?  (Read 4303 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Favorite Christmas Pizza Gifts?
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
OK everybody so what did we all ask santa for?
Deep dish pan? scale? cutter pan?
My cousin recently went to Rome and brought me back a few very unique Pizza Cutter I thought I would share my favorite Gift.
Certified Murano, Mosaic Glass. Very Cool!

John
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:32:49 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Favorite Christmas Pizza Gifts?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
John,
They look very elegant..are you even going to use them?  ::)  I think I would just keep them to show people how beautiful they are.  ;D  You are fortunate to received these pizza cutters.
As for my Christmas Pizza Gifts, I received a gift certificate for the Restaurant Store and some money I will use for some pizza making equipment.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »
Norma,
You are right I probably will not use them, may hang them by the oven or something. I read you will be buying home scale right? there are some great options out there. Good  luck
John

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Very nice John.  I'd vote for using them, but only "special" meals.... not everyday's pizza ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:28:07 PM »
Norma,
You are right I probably will not use them, may hang them by the oven or something. I read you will be buying home scale right? there are some great options out there. Good  luck
John

Good choice in not using them...more beautiful to look at.   :)
Yes, I am looking what kind of home digital scale I want to purchase.  Will probably look for awhile.  I also want to purchase some deep dish pans to be able to try more Chicago deep-dish pizzas. 
Thanks for posting your unique pizza cutters.  ;D
Norma

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:02:18 AM »
Those are very cool John! 

I really like the MyWeigh 7001 - was highly recommended from many forum members.  It's taken a lot of abuse (use it every day of my life!) and from what I can tell remains precise.  This was a Xmas present from a few years back if that counts :)

Patrick

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
Ahhhhh ... the pizza-ninja's weapons of choice!!  8)  :-D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
ME,

"pizza-ninjas"...now that's funny  ;D

John,

Very nice cutters. I wouldn't use them, either, and just put them up as decoration.

Well, below's my Christmas present from this year, courtesy of my family. I could not be happier about the Cuisinart 5.5qt mixer. It does a much, much better job than my Kitchenaid ever did. :chef:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:48:46 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
so Mike you got the Cuisinart... i am using the exact same one for a year now... i also think is a great machine... i usually mix 1kg of flour batches 61 to 62% hydration dough... never had any problems...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:32 PM »
Mike I could have grabbed one of those cuisinart at the local bed bath and beyond (or was it the other guy?) that went belly up last fall. It was  60% off !! It was cheap! but no one grabbed the upper end mixers?  If I knew I would be so nuts about this stuff? I would have scrapped the KA. The artisan I have 5 qt strains a bit with the caputo. I am trying to kill it this winter >:D

cutters will be decorative  I have a good spot in mind.

Glad Santa was good to all
Now lets get cookin!!
John

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »
My family got me a nice food mill that I've been putting off buying for a while.  I guess they got tired of de-seeding the canned tomatoes for me when making sauce.   :-D

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
The ziopepe spatola and the cassette per panini pizza would have been my fav xmas gift..  I have tried to buy this stuff, but unfortunately they donīt sell to private persons.... too bad..  :(

http://ziopepe.com/prodotti-per-pizzerie.aspx?linea=verde&cat=58

j.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 06:39:25 AM »
ME,

"pizza-ninjas"...now that's funny  ;D

John,

Very nice cutters. I wouldn't use them, either, and just put them up as decoration.

Well, below's my Christmas present from this year, courtesy of my family. I could not be happier about the Cuisinart 5.5qt mixer. It does a much, much better job than my Kitchenaid ever did. :chef:

Congrats Mike, glad to see you finally got it.  It's a great machine!  Just a word of caution stand beside it if you ever crank it up.  When I had mine, my wife was using it for something that required mixing @ high speed & it almost walked off the counter top.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
Congrats Mike, glad to see you finally got it.  It's a great machine!  Just a word of caution stand beside it if you ever crank it up.  When I had mine, my wife was using it for something that required mixing @ high speed & it almost walked off the counter top.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks. I'm really happy with it.

That mixer is dynamite compared to the KA Classic I used before. But there's a slight learning curve associated with the Cuisinart because it mixes and kneads a bit differently and more thoroughly than the KA.

Any tips you might want to share besides making sure it won't fall off the counter?  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
high speed is a problem... you have to hold down the mixer....

but the best dough on the cuisinart is (my opinion) get all the water(+salt) in the mixer then slowly ad the flour (little by little) for 5 minutes... then autolyse then knead...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Matthew

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »
Matt,

Thanks. I'm really happy with it.

That mixer is dynamite compared to the KA Classic I used before. But there's a slight learning curve associated with the Cuisinart because it mixes and kneads a bit differently and more thoroughly than the KA.

Any tips you might want to share besides making sure it won't fall off the counter?  ;D

Hey Mike,
I had the 7 qt 1000 watt, & that baby powered through anything with ease.  The one tip that I picked up from watching Antonino Esposito is exactly as stated by Andre..... adding the flour little by little until it's done he saves a little bit for the very end to help release the dough from the mixing bowl.  He claims that it prevents clumping in the dough.  I'm not really sold on the autolyse thing as I don't believe that it makes a difference.  I have seen many videos of master pizzaiolos & not one of them do an autolyse.  By the way, you can always bolt it down to the counter :-D.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
By the way, you can always bolt it down to the counter...

Matt & Andre,

Thanks for the tips. I have had great results with the autolyse but then again, I'm making a different style of pizza than you two right now.

Bolting it down, huh? I was thinking of some strong suction cups  ;D
Mike

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Matt
Where did you see Antonino? Are you  here in Jersey ?
I like the cuisinart but the Bosch Universal seems to be a great option as well, for a mear $400 bucks.
It has been recommended by other members as well any thoughts?
I am indoors now thinkin cracker ?
Any good results with the caputo indoors I have a few 1k bags left over.
John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »
Matt
Where did you see Antonino? Are you  here in Jersey ?
I like the cuisinart but the Bosch Universal seems to be a great option as well, for a mear $400 bucks.
It has been recommended by other members as well any thoughts?
I am indoors now thinkin cracker ?
Any good results with the caputo indoors I have a few 1k bags left over.
John

Hi John,
No, I have never met him.  A friend of mine who imports products from Italy including Caputo gave me Antonino's DVD en-tiltled "Il Video per i professionisti della pizza" that was given to him by the people at molino caputo.  The video goes into complete details on dough making, dough preparation & shaping, proofing, etc.  He also demonstrates difference types & styles of pizza including pizza al metro, fagotto, calzone, etc.  As you may or may not know, I have gone through & experimented with quite a few mixers including KA, Cuisinart, Santos, & DLX.  In my opinion my absolute favorite hands down is the DLX for the types of doughs that I make.  On the planetary side, the Cuisinart is much better than the KA.  Just my opinion.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »
Matthew I was lucky enough to watch this guy operate and yes he incorperated the flout CAPUTO slowly. here are a few of his creation camers phone sorry. thanks for the mixer tips! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8876.msg77387
see reply #11
john
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:21:19 PM by JConk007 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
I purchased some items to make pizza today with the Restaurant Store gift certificate and the money I received for Christmas.  I bought a Cordierite Baking stone (Old Stone Oven) 16", a shaker, spoon, fennel seed, food safe container, and a 10" arkadia cookware by Lincoln with a metal handle so it could be used in the oven.  Target had a Taylor digital scale on sale so I bought that today, too.  I am now ready to begin making more pizza at home.
I still don’t have a good mixer, but I can hand knead for awhile.
Norma

pizzapan