Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 39315 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
Norma,
Just pulled the stuffed sfincione out of the oven.

Matt,

Thanks for posting pictures your stuffed sfincione.  The sfincione looks so delicious!  ;D  You have me salivating all over the keyboard.   I sure would like to be able to taste a slice.  Your grandmother is going to be proud.   :)

Do you mind telling me what kind of hydration your sfincione had?  Also what did you stuff the  sfincione with? You are the master of so many kinds of pizza.  :chef:

Hopefully after the New Year, I will be able to try a sfincione again.  Maybe I will use the milk kefir to leaven my dough.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
Matt,

I forgot to post that your crumb looks delicious!   ;D

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for posting pictures your stuffed sfincione.  The sfincione looks so delicious!  ;D  You have me salivating all over the keyboard.   I sure would like to be able to taste a slice.  Your grandmother is going to be proud.   :)

Do you mind telling me what kind of hydration your sfincione had?  Also what did you stuff the  sfincione with? You are the master of so many kinds of pizza.  :chef:

Hopefully after the New Year, I will be able to try a sfincione again.  Maybe I will use the milk kefir to leaven my dough.  :-D

Norma

Thanks Norma,
It was in the neighborhood of 65%.  The flour mixture was roughly 60/40 bread flour/semola.  It is more like 2 layer as oppose to stuffed.  The bottom layer is meat sauce, parmiggiano, mozzarella & EVOO.  The top layer is meat sauce, parmiggiano, EVOO, & breadcrumbs sauteed in EVOO.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »
Matt,

I forgot to post that your crumb looks delicious!   ;D

Norma

Thanks.  I think you had already posted when I put the picture up.  It's really tricky getting it out of the pan because the semola makes it extremely delicate.  You have to get it out of the baking pan right away & let it cool on a rack or the bottom will become really soft.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:34:30 PM by Matthew »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
Thanks.  I think you had already posted when I put the picture up.

Matt

Matt,

I didn't see that you had edited your first post.  I then went back and looked and saw the crumb shot.  I thought how did I miss that the first time.  :-D  You know I am getting older and can miss things.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Thanks Norma,
It was in the neighborhood of 65%.  The flour mixture was roughly 60/40 bread flour/semola.  It is more like 2 layer as oppose to stuffed.  The bottom layer is meat sauce, parmiggiano, mozzarella & EVOO.  The top layer is meat sauce, parmiggiano, EVOO, & breadcrumbs sauteed in EVOO.

Matt,

Thanks for telling me what hydration you used for your sfincione and how the sfincione is more like 2 layer.  I bet your grandmother was impressed.   ;D

Norma

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
Matt,  that thing looks great,  nice job.  The top of it reminds me of some pizza (tomato pie) at the formica bakey in A.C. It was a very interesting pizza,  topped onlt with tomato and good romano,  and I am sure has some roots from something authentic like this.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
Matt,  that thing looks great,  nice job.  The top of it reminds me of some pizza (tomato pie) at the formica bakey in A.C. It was a very interesting pizza,  topped onlt with tomato and good romano,  and I am sure has some roots from something authentic like this.  -marc

Thanks Marc.  It turned out really nice; my nonna loved it!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
I made a dough late last evening using a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe for focaccia.  The dough was leavened with milk kefir and mixed for a long while in my kitchen aid mixer to tighten the gluten, since this is a high hydration dough. I used KAAP flour for the dough. The dough was also given an autoylse, before the salt and sugar were added and the finished dough temperature was 71.9 degrees F. 

These pictures show how the dough progressed from when it was started to be mixed until it became something like a soft mozzarella ball.  When left to slide off the paddle attachment it became something like the dough for Tartine Country bread.  I did give the dough a few stretch and folds and left it sit at room temperature overnight.  I gave this dough another stretch and fold this morning and am going to give it a few more stretch and folds.  The dough isnít really that sticky as can be seen on my fingers this morning, but the dough looks like a blob.

I will try to bake this focaccia sometime today, when the dough looks ready.

Pictures below of how dough started to come off the sides of the mixing bowl and then turned into a more cohesive dough and back to a blob again.

Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
That looks hella wet. Good luck hand-spinning it  ;D

Seriously though, what's the hydration?

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
That looks hella wet. Good luck hand-spinning it  ;D

Seriously though, what's the hydration?

JLP

Jose,

I have no idea what hydration this focaccia dough is.  I wanted to experiment with a really high hydration dough.  I use this recipe, I found on the web for a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe for Rosemary Focaccia.

2 3/4 unbleached AP flour (said it had to be unbleached flour)
2 cups minus 2 tablespoon water
3/8 tsp. IDY yeast (I used milk kefir, added direct, no sponge or poolish)
3/4 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

and instructions at: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/03/the_infamous_rosemary_focaccia.html
and
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/12/rosemary_foccacia.html

I wanted to see how a real high hydration dough handled and since I used liquid milk kefir that added to the hydration of this recipe.  I will post the results whether good or bad.  I know I will have to pour this dough into a pan.  No hand spinning this dough.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
The Rose Beranbaum focaccia with milk keifr used as the leavening agent was baked after room temperature fermenting for 19 hours.  Although this focaccia didnít turn out exactly how I wanted it to, the taste of the crust was good, with a nice moistness in the crumb.  I donít know what I didnít manage right, but I think it might have been I did a parbake, then added oil to the top of the crust before the top was set  enough.  I have no way of knowing really what I did wrong, but this did give me a good experience in working with a really sticky high hydration dough. It could have also been the crust wasnít set enough, when I took the focaccia out of the oven to dress it. As can be seen on the pictures the focaccia dough did rise, but must have fallen after I took this pie out of the oven after 10 minutes to add the dressings. 

I had some extra onions, so this focaccia recipe was calling their names.  I have a definite weakness for onions in bread or bagels.  I caramelized the onions and added the fresh grated garlic later in the slow fry, because garlic can burn easily.  The focaccia pizza was dressed with Rosemary while in the oven, before the other dressings.  I did add different types of mozzarella cheese after the 10 minute parbake along with the caramelized onions and Panko Bread Crumbs. 

My kitchen was filled with the deliciousness of Rosemary, garlic and cheesy Caramelized Onion smell.

If anyone has any other ideas of what I managed wrong in this focaccia, let me know.

In this discussion on chowhound, Rose Levy Beranbaum, said if you go down in the discussion-here's the story and fix i promised: the owner/baker of sullivan street bakery wouldn't give me the recipe when i asked for it saying it was very tricky and depended on the type of flour used which at the time he thought the home baker could not obtain. but a few years later i saw his recipe in someone else's book and the flour was king arthur which is generally available. it worked perfectly for me the first few times but as i travelled around the country on book tour i was aghast at how horribly it turned out even in the hands of some incredibly competent bakers! since i loved it so much and became really curious about what was going on i started retesting it on my return. to my surprise i discovered that the flour was not that significant as for one of my tests i used gold medal unbleached all purpose flour and it was still perfect. here's how i make it now: i double the yeast and the final rise in the pan takes about 2 hours. i let it DOUBLE not just 1 1/2 times. here's the most important part to get the big holes and light texture: just before baking i wet my fingertips with water and deeply dimple the dough throughout. this has worked for me consistently. i will post it on my website as soon as i get the chance to update it. the sullivan street baker was right: this is an exceptionally challenging bread--simple though it is. but i think worth it.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/278156

Norma
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:56:13 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
As can be seen on the pictures the focaccia dough did rise, but must have fallen after I took this pie out of the oven after 10 minutes to add the dressings. 

The exact same thing happened to me a few months back with a heavily hydrated dough. Everything seemed to be going fine with the oven spring; in fact, it looked almost exactly the same as the oven shots of yours. Then I took it out of oven, and it deflated right in front of my eyes the minute the sauce touched the surface. That dough was just too weak; maybe yours was too. Perhaps a stronger flour and/or more stretch-and-folds would help?

Oh well- I'm sure it was mighty tasty in any case...

BTW what was the baking time and temp?

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
The exact same thing happened to me a few months back with a heavily hydrated dough. Everything seemed to be going fine with the oven spring; in fact, it looked almost exactly the same as the oven shots of yours. Then I took it out of oven, and it deflated right in front of my eyes the minute the sauce touched the surface. That dough was just too weak; maybe yours was too. Perhaps a stronger flour and/or more stretch-and-folds would help?

Oh well- I'm sure it was mighty tasty in any case...

BTW what was the baking time and temp?

JLP

JLP,

I am not sure what went wrong with this pie, but I think my hydration was to high for me to handle or either I didn't give the pie enough time to set. I donít think any more stretch and folds would have helped this pie. I didnít put any sauce on this pie, but could see the crumb deflate while putting the cheese on the pie.  I had added milk keifr in addition to the high hydration.  Milk kefir is also in liquid form.  I donít know if I will try the same recipe over again, but might think if I do, to replace the milk kefir with IDY. 

The dough went into the pan nicely, and just spread without much effort.  My baking temperature was 475 degrees F.  Ten minutes to parbake and another 10 minutes to bake.

This pizza was tasty, but maybe both of us will have better luck next time.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »
I started this dough yesterday morning and made a poolish.  Mixed the final dough yesterday and let it bulk ferment.  The dough bulk fermented more today.  The first picture is the poolish and the second picture is the final dough. 

I made the pizza this afternoon.  This was my best attempt as of this date.  The crust was moist, light and airy.  It must have been the formula, flour, bulk ferment, and how the dough was baked.

Pictures below

Norma
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:18:23 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
more pictures

Norma