Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 41079 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2010, 06:04:25 AM »
Matt,

I just took a picture of some of the bags.  Is this the right kind? 
Hope to hear how yours turned out.  What kind of other flour did you use, if any? I am just trying different things to see what happens.  ::)

Edit:  I guess I have the wrong kind..will try this for awhile and then see if I want to purchase the kind of flour Matt is talking about..

Thanks,
Norma

Norma,

The specs & description for the above is as follows (translated from the Divella Website)

Durum wheat is characterized by an intense yellow color and is coarse & uniform.   Advised use is to prepare homemade pasta such as orecchiette, homemade noodles and meal.  At Divella we know that to get good pasta, using durum wheat semolina and water, the quality of the meal is vital!
And this meal, obtained only from the heart of the wheat grain, is ideal to mix by hand or with machines for making pasta.

Usage:  its coarse and uniform structure is particularly suitable for the preparation of soups in general, orechiette homemade noodles, etc..

GLUTEN dry min. 12.00%
PROTEIN ON DRY (NX5, 70) min. 13.00%
COLOR (160 microns) 22.7 b

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »
Hi Norma,
I am using the one pictured below.  The one that you have is for making pasta.  My last batch was mixed 50/50 with Caputo Pizzeria.  In todays batch I am going with 67/33 blend of Semola/Caputo.  Let me know what happens.

From the Divella website: (translated to English)

Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata:
Durum semolina, characterized by the typical yellow color and fine grain (finer than the bran of wheat) is recommended for the preparation of bread wheat.
In many regions of Southern Italy, in fact, historically devoted to durum wheat, bread dough is used, alone or in addition to wheat flour, semolina of hard wheat semolina. The dough absorbs water faster and is easier to draw and to work with. The result is a fragrant and tasty bread with a more yellow crumb and a crust thicker and darker and that remains soft for several days.
It's recommended by itself or mixed with flour "00" Divella also for focaccia, pizza, fresh pasta and fresh pasta made with egg mix by hand or with machines for making bread and pasta.
Also good to give more fragrance and to get more prepared salted or fried golden and crisp.

Usage: its size makes it particularly suitable for baking and the preparation of homemade pasta.

Dry gluten min. 13.00%
PROTEIN (NX5, 70) min. 14.00%
ABSORPTION 60-63%
COLOR (160 microns) 22.7 b
DEVELOPMENT TIME 1 '50 "- 2'
STABILITY ' 4'-6 '

Matt,

Thanks for translating for me. It would help if we knew how to speak Itatlian.  :-D I could see last night we got the wrong kind.   :(  The dough will see today how it does.  It has really multiplied itself.  This is a picture of the dough this morning.

Look at this snow stuff we are getting.  I tried to get out the back door and can barely open the door.  Who even knows where to start shoveling this snow.  It is really snowing and windy here the drifts are very high. lol

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2010, 07:51:21 AM »

Matt,

Look at this snow stuff we are getting.  I tried to get out the back door and can barely open the door.  Who even knows where to start shoveling this snow.  It is really snowing and windy here the drifts are very high. lol

Norma

You see, & you guys make fun of us Canadians. ;)  We have not seen more than 2 inches all winter so far.  My snowblower is resting peacefully in the garage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »
You see, & you guys make fun of us Canadians. ;)  We have not seen more than 2 inches all winter so far.  My snowblower is resting peacefully in the garage.

Matt,

You could make big money today here with your snowblower.  :-D  Some drifts here are past my waist.  I only have a small snowblower and will have to cut though to be able to get to the bottom of the stuff.  The wind is really making the snow drift.  Some gusts of over 30 mph.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
Matt,

When you made the Focaccia Barese here, would you mind telling me what you used as topping?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg88278.html#msg88278

You have inspired me to use my 12" Chicago Deep Dish pans to see how this current dough turns out.  :)

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
Matt,

When you made the Focaccia Barese here, would you mind telling me what you used as topping?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg88278.html#msg88278

You have inspired me to use my 12" Chicago Deep Dish pans to see how this current dough turns out.  :)

Thanks,

Norma

Sure Norma,

1 was made with dry cured black olives, cherry tomatoes, San Marzano Tomatoes, oregano & a tiny bit of scamorza.  The other one was similar but with the addition of roasted red peppers & artichoke hearts.  I added the cheese at about 20 minutes into the bake.  Baked at 475 for about 30-35 minutes.

Good Luck! :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
Sure Norma,

1 was made with dry cured black olives, cherry tomatoes, San Marzano Tomatoes, oregano & a tiny bit of scamorza.  The other one was similar but with the addition of roasted red peppers & artichoke hearts.  I added the cheese at about 20 minutes into the bake.  Baked at 475 for about 30-35 minutes.

Good Luck! :)

Matt,

Thanks for telling me what you use for the ingredients.  :)  I don't have all those ingredients here right now, but will improvise.  Sure am not able to go to the store. lol 
Thanks a lot for telling me when you add the cheese and your bake time.  :)
The artichoke hearts and red peppers sound delicious. 
Will post pictures even if it doesn't turn out okay.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »
Yeah, and here in the Vancouver area people were wearing shorts yesterday. Convertibles with the top down. Not exactly Winter Olympics weather.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
Yeah, and here in the Vancouver area people were wearing shorts yesterday. Convertibles with the top down. Not exactly Winter Olympics weather.

Terry,

I would trade your weather any day with mine right now..LOL  Just got finished with my place..now onto my mother's.

You can see how high the snow is beside my van, also my foot beside the patio, and at the tool shed.  It sure is beautiful, but my arms are tired.

Maybe I won't even have time to try my pie today.   :o

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
Special thanks to Matt, andreguidon, and Toby for helping me get this far in making this kind of pie.  I used adregudidon’s basic recipe under http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8963.0.html and just changed some things.  I want to thank Matt for helping me with his information in trying this kind of pie.  I also want to thank Toby for helping me with starters.

These are the best pies up to this date.

Three pies were made today.  The dough was fermented at room temperature for 29 hours.  The one pie was dressed with pizza sauce, caramelized onions, mozzarella and Panko bread flakes mixed with olive oil and Italian Seasoning. 

The Chicago Deep Dish Pans were used this time.  I greased the first two pans with olive oil and the third pans was greased with Crisco.

The second pie was dressed with sun-dried tomatoes, Kosher salt, an olive oil that I had mixed with fennel, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and Italian seasoning.

On the third pie the dough was mixed with sugar, cinnamon, and raisins and after baking and cooling, then it was drizzled with an icing.

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):    2108.39 g  |  74.37 oz | 4.65 lbs   702.76g Semola d Grano Duro
                                                                                        1305.63g KAAP
Water (75%):    1581.29 g  |  55.78 oz | 3.49 lbs
Salt (1.50%):    31.63 g | 1.12 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.59 tsp | 2.2 tbsp   I didn’t use this whole amount of salt and added only this morning.
Total (176.5%):   3721.31 g | 131.26 oz | 8.2 lbs | TF = 0.6077

Preferment:
Flour:    100.15 g | 3.53 oz | 0.22 lbs
Water:    5.27 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs
Total:    105.42 g | 3.72 oz | 0.23 lbs

Final Dough:
Flour:    2008.24 g | 70.84 oz | 4.43 lbs
Water:    1576.02 g | 55.59 oz | 3.47 lbs
Salt:    31.63 g | 1.12 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.59 tsp | 2.2 tbsp
Preferment:    105.42 g | 3.72 oz | 0.23 lbs
Total:    3721.31 g | 131.26 oz | 8.2 lbs  | TF = 0.6077

The natural starter used was rye-high-gluten-semolina-durum

Norma
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:16:09 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
rest of pictures

Offline Matthew

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2010, 05:33:57 AM »
Special thanks to Matt, andreguidon, and Toby for helping me get this far in making this kind of pie.  I used adregudidon’s basic recipe under http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8963.0.html and just changed some things.  I want to thank Matt for helping me with his information in trying this kind of pie.  I also want to thank Toby for helping me with starters.

Great Job Norma! Thanks for the kind words.  I've got to tell you, I was a little worried on the outcome when I found out that you were using semolina instead of semola.  I'm glad that it worked out okay for you.  How was the overall dough texture?  I made the batch below for my niece's birthday party last night, it lasted all but 30 seconds.  I also made a 12" round to snack on today, I'll take a picture of the crumb later on.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:39:45 AM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:34 AM »

How was the overall dough texture?  I made the batch below for my niece's birthday party last night, it lasted all but 30 seconds.  I also made a 12" round to snack on today, I'll take a picture of the crumb later on.

Matt,

Thanks for saying I did a great job.  I have tried different flours in trying this kind of pie and the dough looked bubbly, so it was just another trial.  You really helped me out with all your posts and directions.  I don't know if using the Deep Dish Pans helped bake this pie better or not.  In my opinion they did.  I have to give Warren special thanks, also, because while attending his Bread Making Demo he talked about mixing bread and pizza by hand.  It seemed to work out well this time.  I have been going this route the last couple of pies and also because I don't have a decent mixer at home.  The dough texture was great.  It was moist, when the pie was finished.  In a way it reminded me of Black Labs Tomato Pie, but moister.  I really like the airy crumb.  It was tender when eaten.  Since I made three pies, I have leftovers.
Your pie looks delicious, also.  :) I would like to see how your crumb turned out, too. 

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
Norma,
I'm going to my grandmother's house on Sunday for lunch & am going to surprise her by making the same sfincione that she used to make for us when we were kids; double layer with meat sauce & pancetta.  I'll post some pics on Sunday.

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
Matt,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope you will tell us how she reacts to the surprise.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »
Norma,
I'm going to my grandmother's house on Sunday for lunch & am going to surprise her by making the same sfincione that she used to make for us when we were kids; double layer with meat sauce & pancetta.  I'll post some pics on Sunday.

Matt

Matt,

I didn’t forget what you said back on January 10, 2010.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg87186.html#msg87186

I will never forget this thread.  You also were my inspiration in going forward and trying out my “wild yeast” starters.   :)

I will be anxiously waiting to see the pictures of your sfincione.  I am sure your grandmother will be so proud of you.   ;D

Thanks for posting on this thread.

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
Matt,

I didn’t forget what you said back on January 10, 2010.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg87186.html#msg87186

I will never forget this thread.  You also were my inspiration in going forward and trying out my “wild yeast” starters.   :)

I will be anxiously waiting to see the pictures of your sfincione.  I am sure your grandmother will be so proud of you.   ;D

Thanks for posting on this thread.

Norma

It was a great thread & I'm hoping to revive it.  This time I'm going to use fresh yeast to emulate hers.  Now that I look back at those pictures, that one that I made last year was damn good.  I think that was the last time that I made it.  I have no idea what formula is used, I think that I just winged it.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
It was a great thread & I'm hoping to revive it.  This time I'm going to use fresh yeast to emulate hers.  Now that I look back at those pictures, that one that I made last year was damn good.  I think that was the last time that I made it.  I have no idea what formula is used, I think that I just winged it.

Matt

Matt,

Everything you make looks good.  ;D  I hope I can join you in trying something like this again.  The fresh yeast sounds really good.  I had to laugh when you posted you thought you winged it.  :-D

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »
Norma,
Just pulled the stuffed sfincione out of the oven.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:24:24 PM by Matthew »

pizzapan