Author Topic: Universal Food Chopper  (Read 4350 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Universal Food Chopper
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
I had read somewhere on the forum about different ways to grate cheese.  I think it was Red November that mentioned trying an old food chopper. 
I have used mine for years, but mostly to make things like chicken salad, ham salad, egg salad, egg and olive salad, and to grind dry corn for a special Cope's Corn recipe we enjoy here.
I decided to give it a try today to see if it would grate mozzarella. I didn't want to go outside to hook it to something, so I hooked it onto a chair. It really worked well.  :)
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: Universal Food Chopper
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
I used to grind cheese through a meat grinder, it provided a great product that was very easy to scale for portion control. But I had a grinder attachment for a Hoabrt 20QT commercial mixer, I have never done it by hand, that had to be a workout for you,
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
I used to grind cheese through a meat grinder, it provided a great product that was very easy to scale for portion control. But I had a grinder attachment for a Hoabrt 20QT commercial mixer, I have never done it by hand, that had to be a workout for you,

GotRocks,

I was only trying this food grinder at home to see if it would work okay for small amounts of cheese.  It did work out well for small amounts of cheese. At my pizza stand at market, I have a Pelican head cheese grinder for my 20 qt. Hobart mixer.  This is something like my grinder looks at market.

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »
It didn't impart any type of metal flavor to the cheese?

I honestly never thought about doing this, but thanks to your post... my wheels are turning.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
It didn't impart any type of metal flavor to the cheese?

I honestly never thought about doing this, but thanks to your post... my wheels are turning.

Ron,

No, I never found this Universal Food Grinder to impart metal taste to any food.  I have used one for years to make different kinds of salads and other things, (egg, spam, ham, chicken, grind dog food, grind baby food, grind dried corn) I even have an attachment that says it can grind wheat into flour, but never tried it.  I never used it to grind cheese before, but while grating the cheese by hand with a grater at home, I found the Universal Food Grinders works well to grate cheese in small amounts.

Here is a link on the web to Universal Food Grinders.  You can easily find them on Ebay, also.

http://www.nextag.com/universal-meat-grinder/stores-html

Hope your wheels turning get you good results,  :)

Norma

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
If being hand-cranked is a turn off for a grinder, you can get capable home-use only electric grinders from bass-pro, gander mountain, cabela's, northern tool, grizzly industrial for less than $100.00, they are not commercial units, that is why the low price, but with low price comes low quality too.

To get into a commercial table-top unit, or a Hobart grinder head, your going to be spending quite a bit more.
I got my #22 commercial power unit and grinder head off craigslist for a little over $200.00, the retail cost for the model I got was in excess of $600.00

I have used the Hobart shredder attachments for many things, they work great. But I just prefer a ground cheese over shredded, and I prefer sliced over either ground or shredded.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
If being hand-cranked is a turn off for a grinder, you can get capable home-use only electric grinders from bass-pro, gander mountain, cabela's, northern tool, grizzly industrial for less than $100.00, they are not commercial units, that is why the low price, but with low price comes low quality too.

To get into a commercial table-top unit, or a Hobart grinder head, your going to be spending quite a bit more.
I got my #22 commercial power unit and grinder head off craigslist for a little over $200.00, the retail cost for the model I got was in excess of $600.00

I have used the Hobart shredder attachments for many things, they work great. But I just prefer a ground cheese over shredded, and I prefer sliced over either ground or shredded.

GotRocks,

I also got the Pelican head for my 20 qt. mixer on Ebay for 169.00, and it came with two attachments (a grater and a slicer). 

Norma