Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 140985 times)

houndog22 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #720 on: March 07, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
My plan in the spring is to try this in the WFO without the pan more & in line with Farinella & Forno Campo De 'Fiori.

Awesome. We can start a new thread!

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #721 on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »
This is the result of the test bake I did with 10% starter for 18 hours. 80% hydration, 2.5% salt, 3% oil, and 80/20 KAAP/KABF. Much closer to where I want to be with the crumb and taste - it was even better than the 48 hours cold ferments. I baked it this morning at 475 for 13 minutes. And then promptly ate some with artisanal salumi stuffed inside. I think that my previous 20% attempt was closer to recent Pizzarium pics (except for thickness), but this one is more to my liking.

I should have my Marino flour by the next bake this weekend.

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #722 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
This is the result of the test bake I did with 10% starter for 18 hours. 80% hydration, 2.5% salt, 3% oil, and 80/20 KAAP/KABF. Much closer to where I want to be with the crumb and taste - it was even better than the 48 hours cold ferments. I baked it this morning at 475 for 13 minutes. And then promptly ate some with artisanal salumi stuffed inside. I think that my previous 20% attempt was closer to recent Pizzarium pics (except for thickness), but this one is more to my liking.

John

Looks really good!  Did you let it go at room temp?

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #723 on: March 07, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
Looks really good!  Did you let it go at room temp?

Matt

Thanks Matt - Yes, all room temp.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #724 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »

John

John,

Your recent attempt looks great!   :)  Interesting that you are doing a shorter bake time than Matt.  I can imagine how moist the crust must have tasted.

Thanks for posting what bake time, temp, workflow and ingredients you used.  

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #725 on: March 07, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
Interesting that you are doing a shorter bake time than Matt.

Norma - For the first time, I used the convection fan feature in my oven. It gave a very nice, crisp crust and seemed to cook a bit faster.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #726 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
Norma - For the first time, I used the convection fan feature in my oven. It gave a very nice, crisp crust and seemed to cook a bit faster.

John

John,

Thanks for posting you used the convection fan feature in your oven.  I still find it interesting that you are doing a shorter bake than Matt.  I have noticed I get better results at market, with a higher bake temperature than I can get in my home oven, which gives me a shorter bake. I have a commercial oven at market with a convection feature.  I might have to try that some day, but the pies would be smaller, because it is only a 1/4 size oven.

I wonder what bake temperature Bonci uses.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
Well, I guess I am back on the Pizzarium thread, because I received my used blue steel pans today.  I am going to try an easier method this time, but I donít know what kind of results I will get.  ::)

Norma

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »
I'm joining the fray...Beautiful pies...I wanna try it, too.

G.Bonci...Dude!

What amazing examples of pizza AND interest/discussion of this form of pie. Been lurking for weeks...yeah, baybee!

I'm down...I don't want to hijack this thread. Just showing y'all my new pans. If you wish to comment on them, please...here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13241.new.html
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
First Attempt : New Paderno blue steel pans (I likey!). I don't have a stone in the oven...gotta get one for better, faster oven spring. Weather is getting warmer, so I don't know how many more of these I'll bake, as heating the house isn't the way in NC springs/summers.

100% KABF. Mixed 3min in my DLX mixer, stretch and fold every 20 minutes. Refrigerated for 24 hr. Stretch and fold 1x. Another 24 hour refrigerate. 2 hour rise in lightly oiled pan. 500 degrees on bottom rack for 10 min. topped with tomato, fresh mozz and pecorino romano. To the top rack for 5 min, then topped with sopressata. 3 more minutes @ 500 then cool on wire rack for 10 min.

Dig in !

Great taste.

Flour (100%):    380.92 g  |  13.44 oz | 0.84 lbs
Water (78%):    297.12 g  |  10.48 oz | 0.66 lbs
CY (.7%):    2.67 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | Salt (2.5%):    9.52 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.71 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
Oil (3%):    11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.54 tsp | 0.85 tbsp
Total (184.2%):   701.66 g | 24.75 oz | 1.55 lbs | TF = 0.15

Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: March 14, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
This is the formula for my next attempt at a Pizzarium style pizza tomorrow.  I mixed the dough this morning with only the paddle attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer.  This dough was highly sticky.  I also used one preferment Lehmann dough poolish in the final dough, that I had started Friday.  I think the amount of hydration I selected for these flours is too high.  This dough didnít want to become less sticky even after different stretch and folds.  Finally today at market, I could finally form somewhat of a dough ball.  The dough will cold ferment until tomorrow.  If this pizza is anywhere near successful, it will be the largest pie I have ever made. 

Pictures after the dough was mixed, after dough had some stretch and folds, at market doing more stretch and folds and final dough ball.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #731 on: March 14, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
pictures

Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #732 on: March 14, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
First Attempt : New Paderno blue steel pans (I likey!). I don't have a stone in the oven...gotta get one for better, faster oven spring. Weather is getting warmer, so I don't know how many more of these I'll bake, as heating the house isn't the way in NC springs/summers.

100% KABF. Mixed 3min in my DLX mixer, stretch and fold every 20 minutes. Refrigerated for 24 hr. Stretch and fold 1x. Another 24 hour refrigerate. 2 hour rise in lightly oiled pan. 500 degrees on bottom rack for 10 min. topped with tomato, fresh mozz and pecorino romano. To the top rack for 5 min, then topped with sopressata. 3 more minutes @ 500 then cool on wire rack for 10 min.

Dig in !

Great taste.

Flour (100%):    380.92 g  |  13.44 oz | 0.84 lbs
Water (78%):    297.12 g  |  10.48 oz | 0.66 lbs
CY (.7%):    2.67 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | Salt (2.5%):    9.52 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.71 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
Oil (3%):    11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.54 tsp | 0.85 tbsp
Total (184.2%):   701.66 g | 24.75 oz | 1.55 lbs | TF = 0.15

They look awesome, great job. I'm definitely going to have to try one with sopressata. Maybe do a thinner one and fold the slices over into sandwiches  :chef:
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
Well the ďBad Mama JamaĒ dough ball was baked into a pizza today.  This was the biggest dough ball I have ever handled and the biggest pizza I have ever made.  This attempt wasnít as good as some of my attempts, although the dough did work okay.  The oven spring isnít as good as some of my attempts either. 

At least I know I can make a big pizza now.  Steve and I put slices of this big Pizzarium attempt for people to try.  We received quite a few favorable comments. 

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #734 on: March 15, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #735 on: March 15, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #736 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
Norma - That looks like a fantastic bake. The crumb looks moist and springy. What was the cooking temp on these?

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Norma - That looks like a fantastic bake. The crumb looks moist and springy. What was the cooking temp on these?

John

John,

Thanks for saying the bake looked fantastic.  The crumb was moist and springy, but when I went to lift the dough into the pan, it almost got away from me.  It then developed thinner spots in some places.  The temperature on the deck was between 555-565 degrees F.  The combination of flours I used werenít as good as some I had tried before, in the crumb and the taste of the crust.  I also think I need to up the salt amount.  I need to try some other kind of starter also.

Norma

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #738 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
Hello Guys

Thank god I have found this Forum.

Have been looking for help with Pizza al taglio since eating metres of it in Rome.
Failed with quite a few attempts and was ready to give up.

I live in the UK so I have good access to Italian flour and ingredients.

I am going to try and combine a few methods and see what happens. So I'll let everyone know.

Going for a Forno Campo style hopefully.

Stuart

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #739 on: March 20, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »
Success from my first bake using some ideas from here.

300g Strong Bread Flour
100g "00" Flour
100g Semola di Grano Duro
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp EVOO
3.5g IDY
400ml Water

Mixed it by hand. Regen 5 times. Fridge for 24hr

Regen 5 times. Fridge another 24hr

Room temp rise for 4 hrs. Then baked at full power for 20 mins.

Made one Pizza Rosso and one Bianca.

Incredibly light and tasty dough.
Will post pics soon.

Cheers
Stu