Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 140936 times)

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #960 on: January 28, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »
Last night pizza, refried beans base, mozzarella and chihuahua cheese, chorizo and peppers.
Happy with the result but I'm still looking for a more open crumb, just a little more. I refuse to believe that it's the best results that I can get with the flours that I can get in my area.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2012, 02:01:27 AM »
RamirOk

Perhaps the amount of topping is keeping you from the more open crumb you seek. That much topping is weighting down your crust making it hard to get all you can out of "oven spring". Try making a minimally topped pie and see what happens. I think your quest for a more open crumb will be realized.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
dmcavanagh,
I have that problem with previous pies but now I pre-bake, this time I put the bean base then pre-bake then I put the other toppings and again to the oven.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #963 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Ramir,
  It looks pretty good to me. However, I think like dmc said it could be the weight of the toppings.  Alternatively, it could be your hydration level or the type of flour. I know for myself, I get my best hole structure around 73-75% hydration. Anything more and I have found some structural problems with my doughs. Regarding the flour, I know you said things are limited in your area, you may want to talk to the local bakery to see if could purchase some of their flour.
Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

buceriasdon

« Reply #964 on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »
Jimmy, The bakeries here where I am in Mexico don't have any better flour than I can buy off the shelf. I've looked at their sacks, nothing any better than what I can get.
Don

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #965 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd contribute to this excellent thread with some of my latest experiments!

All doughs have 80% hydration.

The first and the second are made with 70% type 00 flour, and 30% spelt flour.
The third is made with 40% type 0 flour, 40% spelt flour, and 20% wheat flour.
The fourth is made with 70% type 2 flour, and 30% spelt flour.
The fifth is made with a mix of type 0 flour, spelt flour and enkir flour.

I'm currently getting good results with a rising time of 36 hours.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #966 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »
Welcome Giulio - Stunning contribution here. A couple of questions - after trying the four different flour variations, what was your preference? Also, are you using cold or room temp fermentation for the 36 hours?

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #967 on: February 04, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
John said it right. Stunning! Welcome to the forum
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #968 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
Giulio,

I also welcome you to the forum!  I agree with John and Don, those are outstanding pies.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #969 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
Wow, some serious topping on those pies. Looks delicious.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #970 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys!

@dellavecchia: my preference so far is for the mix of type 0 flour, spelt and enkir. It came out with the crispiest crust, while remaining soft and light inside.
I'm using cold fermentation, in the lowest part of my fridge.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #971 on: February 26, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
So I make these pizza last week and was very happy with the result, I stick with the same recipe that I was using but now I  up the percentage of water to 80% and find a better flour, the brand is called Cisne de Oro it has a better flavor and hold more its shape.

Please try to ignore the messy background, I'm going to improve my setup for my next photos.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #972 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
RamirOk,

Your crumb structure looks great!  :) Nice job.

Norma

Offline Greenline

« Reply #973 on: March 03, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
Been at Pizzarium today, here's what I got. The pizza was fantastic, I think it's the best I've ever had here. They now sell a type of flour called "Pan di sempre" that is a mix of spelt, enkir and wheat and the guy at the cashier told a lady that it's what they use for pizza. I bought one kg to play with! :)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #974 on: March 03, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »
Been at Pizzarium today, here's what I got. The pizza was fantastic, I think it's the best I've ever had here. They now sell a type of flour called "Pan di sempre" that is a mix of spelt, enkir and wheat and the guy at the cashier told a lady that it's what they use for pizza. I bought one kg to play with! :)

Killer score on the flour. How was the texture of the crumb - did you get it reheated or room temp?

John

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #975 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Greenline,
I am truly envious that one: you have his flour, and two: you get to eat at Pizzarium. I have a quick question for you, I noticed that the taglio on the right is a little thinner than the other two, does it appear that Bonci is deliberately making pizze of various thicknesses or did the thickness of those slices happen to be a coincidence?
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #976 on: March 03, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
Greenline

Your Pizzarium slices sure do look fantastic and am glad you scored a bag of ďPan di sempreĒ flour.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #977 on: March 03, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
A man had talked to me awhile ago at market about jovial einkorn flour http://www.jovialfoods.com/products/einkorn-flour.html  http://store.jovialfoods.com/Organic_Einkorn_Flour_p/01100.htm and told me it made such good bread and dough.  I wonder if anyone knows if jovial einkorn flour could be mixed with spelt and another flour to get the same protein content as the flour Gabrielle uses.  Did any member ever use jovial einkorn flour in combination with other flours for a Pizzarium pizza?  I really donít remember if anyone tried einkorn flour with other flours. 

Norma

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #978 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
Norma,
I found some technical information pertaining to Mulino Marino (MM) flour http://www.profumidalforno.it/portal/laboratorio/ingredienti/farina/farine_mulino_marino.  It appears the average protein content of the Pan di Sempre blended flour is 13.5%.   The MM enkir flour has a protein content of 20%, I couldn't find any info about their farro or spelt flour/. In any case, they must be blending these varieties into lower protein flours in smaller amounts to maintain 13.5% or the pure enkir flour is not sifted and they bolt it into finer particles for the Pan di Sempre.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:05:49 AM by JimmyG »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #979 on: March 04, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
Norma,
I found some technical information pertaining to Mulino Marino (MM) flour http://www.profumidalforno.it/portal/laboratorio/ingredienti/farina/farine_mulino_marino.  It appears the average protein content of the Pan di Sempre blended flour is 13.5%.   The MM enkir flour has a protein content of 20%, I couldn't find any info about their farro or spelt flour/. In any case, they must be blending these varieties into lower protein flours in smaller amounts to maintain 13.5% or the pure enkir flour is not sifted and they bolt it into finer particles for the Pan di Sempre.

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for the information about the flour Gabrielle uses. I canít understand what that link means that you posted.  Is that for the blend? Where did you find out that the Pan di Sempre blended
flour average is 13.5 % protein?  Do you recall what you posted at Reply 843 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.msg160411.html#msg160411 about the Jovial einkorn flour having 13.333% protein?  I can purchase spelt flour near me at our local Country Store, but I am not sure if it is the Wheat Montana Farms brand or the Essential Eating Spelt.  http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/products/search?searchText=spelt+flour  I will have to call them to find out that information. If the Jovial einkorn flour is 13.333% protein, I donít I know how to figure out how much of a another flour (maybe pizzeria or fine durum flour) and spelt to add for an experiment.  Maybe I will do some wet gluten mass tests on the Pizzeria flour, the fine durum flour I have and also purchase some spelt and the Jovial einkorn to do wet gluten mass tests on. 

Awhile ago I thought I had found the kind of flour Gabrielle used and posted a picture of it at Reply 239  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg122180.html#msg122180  Maybe he never used that flour or since has changed.

Do you or anyone else have any other thoughts of how to decide how to go about getting a protein blended flour of 13.5% with jovial einkorn, another flour and spelt flour?

It says at this link that there is free shipping offer now if your used the code FREESHIP2012 http://www.jovialfoods.com/

Norma