« Last post by h8stn4d on Today at 04:38:20 PM »
Well, I had grand plans of getting the oven fired up early in the morning and taking it to 850+ core, but plans (and interim vegetable roasting) intervened and I ended up starting the pizzas at about core of 700 and finished with the core. At that temperature, using semolina liberally, I did not have bottoms that were overly burned (although they did char in spots). I also didn't get the leoparding I'd love to see, but I realize that's a function of of heat. I tried to pay attention to time, and certainly by 30-45 seconds, there was no charring on the bottom, which is certainly good. So unless/until I fire again at 800-900 core, I'll use semolina.
As a side note, my current struggles are with dough...I just can't seem to get the elasticity I'm after with dough and I can't quite figure out what variable is causing me heartburn. I also had two batches end up in the trash, which was a bummer. Needless to say, I will have to study the many, many threads on the subject and see where I'm going awry. I'm thinking it might be related to water temp and dough temp post-mixing/kneading, and/or possibly the amount of kneading I'm doing in the KA. I tried to follow Jeff Varasano's methodology (mixing 5+ mins with very wet dough before adding the remaining 20% of the flour) and I wasn't able to get to a .10 thickness factor without having tearing. But I digress, given the title of this thread.
Attached are some pictures of tops and bottoms.
Thanks again to everyone!!