Author Topic: Pizza shaping  (Read 13543 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Pizza shaping
« on: January 30, 2004, 08:59:12 AM »
Here is an excelant on line video on shaoing pizzas.
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/cvt033.asp

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
Re:Pizza shaping
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 02:48:45 PM »
interesting video. Almost the same method I use to shape a new york style crust. I usually shape the rim a bit more by pressing my thumb 1/2 inch from the edge into the dough and then press the dough flat and finally stretch it over my fists.

I've even tried twirling it a few times in the air, but the elegance and practice is just missing. :P I guess we've all tried that at least once. My brother jobbed during High School at a pizzeria and was able to do that really good.

do you also use the same method?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 03:45:23 PM »
Yes I do, especially after the tossing method left me cleaning the kitchen floor.  The first centrifuge like spin sent cornmeal slinging across the room as if it were a fertilizer spreader.
 :o
Randy

Offline Pierre

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »
yeah!  ;D That's quite a graphical description of my experiences also!!

It's quite humiliating when your greatest efforts leave you with your fist sticking out the other side of the dough. Even more humiliating when everything looks just so good on the peel, got all your toppings on, a perfect pizza...  :o

and the dumb thing is either stuck to your peel or stuck to the bottom of your oven floor because you overshot the back edge of the stone!! :'(

one small tip... always look over your shoulder first to make sure your friends are not watching you perform these daredevil things...

Pierre

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 09:40:57 PM »
That's why I put the cornmeal on last.

I spin it a couple of times and hope I don't look like a total idiot.  Don't put my fist throught it as much any more!.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 07:22:50 AM »
I train people how to make pizza.  It used to be such a painstaking process teaching new recruits how to strech dough for pizzas.  One way that really helps is taking a heavy towel (that's a square, not a rectangle).   You simply wet the towel - this helps approximate the "feel" and weight of an actual pizza dough that's been stretched.  Now you can practice your pizza stretching without ruining a lot of doughballs.

When practicing dough stretching, try to keep a rhythm going.  Try releasing and catching the dough every couple of seconds.  You don't have to worry about hand placement at first.  The important thing would be to be able to release the dough, allowing it to move clockwise or counter-clockwise (whatever is more natural to you) and catching it.

Later, as you get used to its weight and feel, you can adjust your hands so they are placed near the edge of the dough so you won't overstretch the middle.

Good luck!

interesting video. Almost the same method I use to shape a new york style crust. I usually shape the rim a bit more by pressing my thumb 1/2 inch from the edge into the dough and then press the dough flat and finally stretch it over my fists.

I've even tried twirling it a few times in the air, but the elegance and practice is just missing. :P I guess we've all tried that at least once. My brother jobbed during High School at a pizzeria and was able to do that really good.

do you also use the same method?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 08:02:43 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline Pierre

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 06:16:44 PM »
One way that really helps is taking a heavy towel (that's a square, not a rectangle).   You simply wet the towel - this helps approximate the "feel" and weight of an actual pizza dough that's been stretched.  

since my post in this thread I've spoken to my brother and he says that is the same method he used to learn how to toss and spin dough in the pizzeria.

Offline mama mia

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 10:32:25 PM »
wow this was interesting, I am eager to practice when I get more flour... thanks for posting this!

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 12:04:12 AM »
Made a pizza today for lunch called Provincial Pizza (guess they eat it in Province).

Olive oil base
thyme 1 tsp
Black Olives diced 1/2 cup
Carmalized onions 1/2 cup (saute in 2tbs Olive oil, salt and 1 tsp. brown sugar) takes about 20 min
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Anchovies 2 tbls ( I know, I know most don't eat these but neither did I until I heard that if you don't like them then you've never had a good one, they were right. In the right proportion they add incredible flavor.)
garnish with 1 tsp parsley

The interesting thing about this pizza was the dough shaping though it involved heavily greasing your hands with olive oil and stretching it into and oblong shape.

I must say that not only did the extra oil add taste it made shaping the dough very easy. This would be an easy way for someone who has difficulty shaping dough to do it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 12:20:25 AM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 05:45:58 AM »
great pictures.
 8)
Randy

stock

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 11:49:06 AM »
RoadPizza: you are so much better at that than i am that it's not even funny. :)
-scott

Offline Pierre

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 03:20:44 PM »
Roadpizza, apparrently you work for one of the larger chains as a trainer and for other obvious reasons you can not mention for which one.

Very nice pictures as a tutorial for us all, Thank you. Thanks for the tips in the other threads as well.

Pierre

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 12:39:40 AM »
Thanks from all of us, for taking the time to post the pics. :)
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 10:45:32 PM »
Hi RoadPizza,

what size towel should I look for ? .... I'm assuming the towel should be of a certain dimension to
work correctly, if you can give me any ball park figure on that, that would be great. 

Mark

I train people how to make pizza.  It used to be such a painstaking process teaching new recruits how to strech dough for pizzas.  One way that really helps is taking a heavy towel (that's a square, not a rectangle).

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Tim_Wurtz

• Mountain Mama's Pizza
Re: Pizza shaping
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »
I tried to toss a couple skins and not good at it, so I will stick with my dough roller, lol.
Tim Wurtz
Mountain Mama's Pizza "Great pizza everytime"
Donnelly, Idaho

Offline John39840

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 08:05:48 AM »
Here is an excelant on line video on shaoing pizzas.
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/cvt033.asp

In all honesty, this is the best video on pizza shaping I've ever seen. And the only one I would recommend. I've tried almost every method under the sun, and this is the only one that consistantly makes the most uniform, perfectly shaped pizzas.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »
That video, and some advice on how to get my dough to start out round, made a huge difference in the quality of my crust.

One huge trick that I learned from that video is the advice on having some light behind the dough so that you can see through it and get a feel for where it's getting too thin.
--pat--

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
One huge trick that I learned from that video is the advice on having some light behind the dough so that you can see through it and get a feel for where it's getting too thin.

I usually place my stretched out dough on the counter before laying it out on a pizza peel or a screen.  On the counter, I can see and feel out my thin and thick spots and I will even it out gently with my fingers.  Most newbies will tend to have a really thin center and a thick part near the edge of the crust.

Offline Maicun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
Hi RoadPizza and every one. I am newbie in making pizza. Every time I shape my pizza, it tends to be stretched in oval shape when i hold the pizza dough and pass it on one hand to the other, and the dough seems to be very thin right under the rim, and it's even broken sometimes, (imagine that I use the technique from the tauton web not to mention the tossing techniques, please help me to fix this :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:, thanks all of you

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
Maicun, I was having the same trouble, but I couldn't even get an oval.  My pizzas generally looked like random European countries.  France or Spain if I was lucky, but sometimes England or Italy.

The pizzamaking.com tip that saved me was "start round to end round".  About two hours before I bake my pizza, I take the dough out of the fridge and put it in a round cerial bowl that has a thin coating of oil.  I let it sit in this bowl till I'm ready to shape it.  Then I press it out, taking care to maintain that circle.  Once it gets out to about 10" or so, I can pick it up and stretch it by hand.
--pat--