Author Topic: Lou Malnati's Chicago Style Pizza  (Read 138004 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Lou Malnati's Chicago Style Pizza
« on: April 24, 2003, 09:31:02 PM »
I've had that recipe for some time (it was the Food Network's website) and after making a couple of minor adaptations I have found it to be the best recipe for Chicago style pizza.  My wife, who always preferred my New York style pizza, now calls it her favorite.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Lou Malnati's Chicago Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 08:01:17 AM »
Yes, that's where I found the recipe... on the Food Network (the recipe is no longer available on their website, but I found it in Google's cache).

Can you share your adaptations?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 02:38:43 PM »
Can you share your adaptations?

Sure, but remember like all recipes some of this is personal taste and some is environmental (i.e. humidity).

1 Ĺ cups of 110 degree water
1 package of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups flour (bread preferred, but all-purpose will work)
ľ cup olive oil (vegetable oil can be used in a pinch)
ľ cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt

In bowl of your Kitchen Aid Mixer (If you donít have one, go buy one itís worth the investment) add water, yeast, and sugar mix to combine and let sit for about 5 minutes.

Add the oil, salt, cornmeal and 3 cups of the flour.  Mix with dough hook on low to medium speed until smooth.  Add remaining flour in ľ cup and completely incorporating the flour before adding the next ľ cup. Depending on the atmosphere you may only need 3 ĺ cups or up to 4 ľ cups.  Let mix 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove the dough from the mixer.  It should be slightly sticky to the touch, but not actually stick to your hands.  Form it into a ball and place into a mixing bowl.  Coat dough lightly with olive oil and loosely cover with plastic wrap.  Let it rest for 4 to 6 hours on the counter.

For even better flavor put in the refrigerator and let it rest over night.  Take it out of the frig 1 to 2 hours before making pizza.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 08:30:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to try your recipe.

One question I have, however, is that Lou Malnati's claims to have a "buttery/flaky crust" ... does your crust turn out with these characteristics?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »
One question I have, however, is that Lou Malnati's claims to have a "buttery/flaky crust" ... does your crust turn out with these characteristics?

Flaky, I have had better luck when using all-purpose flour.

Buttery, is not a term I have used, but the flavor is richer when put in the refrigerator overnight.

You might want to try adjusting the amount of oil.

DKM

Michelle

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 02:17:15 PM »
so just to confirm, the all purpose flour produced a flakier crust?  That is what I've been trying to emulate for years....

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 03:43:31 PM »
so just to confirm, the all purpose flour produced a flakier crust?  That is what I've been trying to emulate for years....

Let me say this.  The two times I was out of bread flour and didn't feel like going to the store so I used all purpose flour.  The crust was not as "bread" like or chewy, but had more of a flaky texture.

I have been told, but haven't tried it yet, that adding more cornmeal and adjusting the flour can produce a more flaky.

DKM

Banshee

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 12:03:34 AM »
Has anyone actually tried either working butter into the dough, or spreading it on it before baking?  When I've brushed breads with butter before baking, they've turned out with a very flaky crust.  Just a thought, so keep on the track of this recipe, guys!

Michelle

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 06:52:26 AM »
Malnati's offers a butter flavored crust (on request) - couldn't you use a  butter-flavored oil instead of olive oil? This might be the easier than working butter into the dough.

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 11:41:01 AM »
I'm going to disagree with the recipe--I have both an Uno's and a Lou Malnati's very close to my home!!!!!!

Malnati used to work for Ike Sewell, the founder of Uno's, and apparently rook the recipe with him when he started his own restaurant.

As far as I can tell, both chains use Crisco as the primary fat in their pizzas (they may add some olive oil for flavor), using a traditional knead. The resulting crust has a "greasy" taste to it, and the Crisco is very apparent on the palate. I've tried it at home, and the crust is remarkably similar.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2003, 09:02:38 PM »
I'm trying a new recipe tomorrow that uses shortening.

If it turns out I'll post it.

DKM
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:57:25 AM by DKM »

Michelle

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 07:02:02 PM »
How did it turn out DKM?  I once saw Emeril do a deep dish made with lard and all purpose flour (no cornmeal).  

Did you use a regular or flavored shortening?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 01:14:21 PM »
Here it is.

Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza Dough

11/2 cups warm water
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt

Mix water, yeast & sugar.  Let sit for 5 minutes

Using dough hook on mixer add shortening, 2 cups of the AP flour and salt then mix for 5 minutes.  Add 1 more cup of AP flour and the semolina flour, mix until a dough ball is formed.  Add the remaining 1/2 of AP flour as needed.  Dough should be wet but shouldn't stick to your hands.

Put in frig to rise over night.  Take out about 2 - 3 hours before use.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees 30 minutes before baking.

Well oil a 15Ē deep dish pizza pan with classic olive oil (DONíT use a non-stick spray).  Pat out dough in the pan and top.

Bake about 15 minutes.

The results

The crust had a nice and rich flavor and was flaky (according to my wife).  The oil really helps crisp up the bottom of the crust.

I used plain Crisco.

If you canít wait overnight, double the yeast.  But be warned you will not get the same flavor for the crust.  In that case you may want to use a butter flavored shortening.

If anyone else tries this, let me know.  I would love to hear about it.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 07:39:19 AM »
The recipe looks good... I'll try it soon and let you know how it turns out!

Just curious, where did you come up with this recipe?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 09:52:42 AM »
Got it from a friend who said it was based on one from Emeril.

Like me, he makes adjustments based on experience.

DKM
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:55:06 AM by DKM »

Michelle

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2003, 08:59:50 AM »
I did a very similar recipe, only I used a little less crisco and cornmeal vs. semolina.  First of all, the results after an overnight proof in the fridge vs. a fresh dough - truly staggering.  Anyone here a food scientist who can explain this? My thin pizza dough (all purpose flour) seems the same regardless of whether or not it sits overnight, but my grilled pizza dough (bread flour) changes for the worse after an overnight sit.

Anyway: After I spread my dough in the pan, I brushed it with olive oil and then applied the toppings.  With the 6-in-1 tomatoes and this crust, honestly, it was right on.  Flaky, and also had the slightly "greasy" feel.This is by far the best deep dish I've ever made.  I would serve this in a restaurant.  

I have a question for you pizza experts:  I already have a tried and true thin crust recipe, but I'm wondering if any of you have tried to adapt your deep dish crust to a thin one and if so, the results?

Thank you all for so many great tips. ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 09:26:29 AM by Michelle »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 10:46:36 PM »
How was your gilled pizza crust worse? (flavor, texture) Also did you adjust the yeast?

Which did you do use for the Chicago?

And last define "thin" crust. Pizza Hutt/Inn thin or one of then many other thin pizza crust?

DKM

Michelle

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 07:47:40 AM »
>>>How was your gilled pizza crust worse? (flavor, texture) Also did you adjust the yeast?

Which did you do use for the Chicago?

And last define "thin" crust. Pizza Hutt/Inn thin or one of then many other thin pizza crust?<<<

1.  It's been awhile, but I remember the texture was not as tender as when the dough was fresh.  It wasn't bad, just not as good.  I did not adjust the yeast because I had never heard of such a thing.

2.  My thin crust is a little thinner than the thin crust on this site- which is very good, just like my husband remembers.  It's a little more tender (less bread-like) I think - but the dough is just as hard to work with.

For Chicago, I used an adapted Emeril recipe also.  Similar to the one you posted actually - with cornmeal vs. semolina.  After proofing overnight and spreading it in the pan, I brushed the entire surface with olive oil.  I did use a butter flavored crisco (it was already on hand), but I didn't notice a flavor difference from that.  Also, the tomatoes are really key.

I would be happy to post full recipes if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 08:17:09 AM by Michelle »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2003, 11:56:30 PM »
I'm always interested.

DKM

Michelle

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2003, 07:45:23 AM »
Deep Dish Pizza Dough:

1 pckg. yeast
2 t. sugar
1 C. warm water
1/4 C. shortening
1/4 C. cornmeal
3 C. flour
1.5 t. salt

I added just enough flour to keep the dough moist, but not sticky. You may need more or less.  I let the dough proof at room temp., punched it down and stuck it in the fridge overnight.  HAS TO BE REFRIGERATED OVERNIGHT.

This made enough for one 14 in. pan (with a little bit extra).  I greased the pan with oil, and before topping, I brushed the entire surface with olive oil.  Topped it and baked at 450 for about 20 minutes.  This was really great - we've done it twice now.

Please let me know if you try it and what happens.  :)

pizzapan