Author Topic: King Arthur vs. Gold Medal Bread Flour  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
King Arthur vs. Gold Medal Bread Flour
« on: June 24, 2004, 03:43:36 PM »
New to the forum, but a long time New York pizza maker.  I am about to start dabbling in high gluten flour.  Up to now I have always used Gold Medal bread flour with pretty good results.  After reading everyone's raves about King Arthur, I got ahold of some KA bread flour expecting to make my masterpiece.  What I got was a dough that rose higher (not necessarily a bad thing), felt stickier, and was harder to handle and more fragile when stretching.  I prevailed and made my pizza, getting a crust that was more crispy, less chewy, less flavorful, and overall not as good as that made with GM.  Is my experience unique?  Would I have been happier with the Sir Lancelot?  What do you guys think?  Look forward to benefitting from everyone's experience and insight.

-- Glutenboy
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re:King Arthur vs. Gold Medal Bread Flour
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:18:17 PM »
I experienced the same results, so I tried 1/3 KA in the mix and it turned out better, but since I normally make a thin crust, I went back to normal off the shelf flour and like my results. Biggest thing I find is the overnight rise.

All the best!

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 06:01:02 PM »
KA Sir Lancelot is a must!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:11:15 PM »
Yeah, I always do at least an overnight rise, so that wasn't the issue, but I'm glad to know it wasn't just me!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 07:59:33 AM »
New to the forum, but a long time New York pizza maker.  I am about to start dabbling in high gluten flour.  Up to now I have always used Gold Medal bread flour with pretty good results.  After reading everyone's raves about King Arthur, I got ahold of some KA bread flour expecting to make my masterpiece.  What I got was a dough that rose higher (not necessarily a bad thing), felt stickier, and was harder to handle and more fragile when stretching.  I prevailed and made my pizza, getting a crust that was more crispy, less chewy, less flavorful, and overall not as good as that made with GM.  Is my experience unique?  Would I have been happier with the Sir Lancelot?  What do you guys think?  Look forward to benefitting from everyone's experience and insight.

Each type of flour has it own characteristics, moisture content being a big one.

You say that your dough felt stickier? The King Arthur flour probably had more moisture content than the Gold Medal. I suggest adding a bit more flour to your recipe when using the KA flour.

I know that when I switched from KA Sir Lancelot (high gluten) to General Mills All Trumps high gluten (the same people who make Gold Medal flour), my dough was a mess too! Very sticky, would not hold together properly (i.e., it ripped when stretched), and I thought the flavor was off.

But, since I have a 25# bag of the General Mills flour, I had to make do with what I had. And after adjusting the amount of water that I added, etc., the General Mills flour is pretty good! I still consider the KA Sir Lancelot flour to be the best.

I suggest that you order a bag of KA Sir Lancelot and give it a try. The flour plus shipping is <$10
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 09:48:03 AM »
I agree Sir Lancelot is a must.

The best thing I have ever done with my pizzas was to order Sir Lancelot.

For my thin crust I do still use a mix of Sir Lancelot and AP store bought flour.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 11:46:14 AM »
Here's the thing.  The dough seemed to demand more water than usual to achieve the proper consistency when I was kneading it, but after rising, that's when it felt stickier.  If I use less water to compensate, wouldn't the resulting dough have an even greater tendency to tear when I am stretching it?  I guess experimentation is the only way to get the definitive answer.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 11:19:26 PM »
If it is tearing when you streach it, it sounds like it has not been worked enough for the gluten to develp.

Do you test the dough before letting it rise?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan