Author Topic: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?  (Read 306 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Can you find/buy grande cheese if you are not a pizza shop owner??

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
I think it depends on where you live.  My local Whole Foods always has it.  You may want to let folks know where you are so that others nearby may be able to help you better.

- Mitch

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
I get mine from a local pizzeria. The staff usually looks at you funny but the management/owners are probably more understanding of this hobby and would be more willing to sell you some. I'm pretty sure I get mine at cost.
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
Is there a reason Grande isn't available at (at least my) Restaurant Depot?  Saputo is good, but I'd like to give Grande a try.
Josh

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:49:58 PM »
You may try calling local cheese shops.  I have not been able to find it at Cash & Carry stores, Whole Foods, etc. RD has it locally - but I don't have a state business license so I can't get in.  I did find a small local specialty cheese shop that occasionally gets it in.  I am thinking that they do not sell to typical grocery stores because it's not their business model (smaller distribution, higher profit) that and some level of exclusivity gives the pizza shops a way to be unique.  I know a pizza shop I used to visit proudly displayed a sign that said they "Proudly used Grande Fior di Latte" cheese.  It was the only sign for an ingredient I've ever seen at a pizza shop.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
Yeah, some pizzerias place a sticker on their pizza boxes which say something like "we proudly serve Grande cheese".

Asking a pizzeria if you could buy some of their cheese is a good idea actually.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
We use Grande low moisture whole milk mozz on our pizzas.  GFS carries it but Sysco doesn't.  GFS requires no commerical account but you have to buy at least a case from the one out here.  I have been to RD in Columbus OH and Sacramento CA and neither carried Grande.  I saw Grande provolone at the cheese shop in the North Market in Columbus but no mozz.  We would gladly sell it to people but no one ever asks.    Like Stanisalus (we use 7/11), they obviously make plenty of $ selling to commercial accounts.  Walter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
You may try calling local cheese shops.  I have not been able to find it at Cash & Carry stores, Whole Foods, etc. RD has it locally - but I don't have a state business license so I can't get in.  I did find a small local specialty cheese shop that occasionally gets it in.  I am thinking that they do not sell to typical grocery stores because it's not their business model (smaller distribution, higher profit) that and some level of exclusivity gives the pizza shops a way to be unique.  I know a pizza shop I used to visit proudly displayed a sign that said they "Proudly used Grande Fior di Latte" cheese.  It was the only sign for an ingredient I've ever seen at a pizza shop.

If you join Kansas City barbecue society kcbs.com you can get a 1 day pass at RD whenever you want.  Only cost $35 to join KCBS annually.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »
The Restaurant Depot in Van Nuys, CA does not carry Grande.  They do have Saputo and I love it.  It's terrific in quesadillas or as part of a blend for grilled cheese.  Great taste and melt characteristic. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
Here's the deal. Stores that sell cheese at retail want cheap cheese that they can sell at not-cheap prices, to people who don't know the difference, which is almost everyone. And they want to sell it about a pound at a time. They can't do either of those things with Grande or any other quality cheese. Grande could offer cheese in one-pound blocks, but it would be pointless. It would cost a lot more than people are willing to pay at retail level, which means it would not sell.

If you find a source of Grande at retail, don't expect it to last for long because the place selling it doesn't know how to run a retail business, and they will probably go out of business just about when you start to feel comfortable buying from them. Also, they probably won't handle the cheese how cheese should be handled, and they will likely either buy so much that it's over-aged by the time you buy it, or they will only buy one loaf at a time, from pennmac, which you can do yourself (if you enjoy paying way too much for shipping).

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
If you join Kansas City barbecue society kcbs.com you can get a 1 day pass at RD whenever you want.  Only cost $35 to join KCBS annually.

Nate

Thanks Nate!  I had read about the KCBS RD pass in a post from a few years ago wherein it said that RD was no longer honoring that.  Glad to hear it's still a solution. I'll check it out!  Thanks!
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
My local RD honors the KCBS membership.  They issue a day pass each time I visit.

Offline caymus

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
My local RD honors the KCBS membership.  They issue a day pass each time I visit.

Can you buy Grande by the loaf or do you need to buy a case?

Thanks

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Can you buy Grande by the loaf or do you need to buy a case?

Thanks

The RD's I have been to don't carry Grande.  Walter

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
Same experience here.  The flours that they stock also vary by location.

pizzapan