Author Topic: Pre-shredded vs. grate yourself  (Read 672 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Pre-shredded vs. grate yourself
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »
So I went to a local pizzeria and grabbed a few slices the other day. Lately I found since I make my own pizza I really hate most pizzerias now. However this has been a place I really enjoyed before. I was not let down it was very good. I have talked to the owner in the past and they make their dough every day.

Now I notice I pay attention a lot more to all the different flavors and the cheese flavor on this pizza was amazing! I asked him if he grated his own cheese and he said yes. I talked a bit about pizza making but I never did ask what kind of cheese he used.

Anyhow on to my real question. Does grating your own cheese really have a massive impact on the flavor of the cheese over using pre-shredded? Is it possible he mixes multiple cheeses to get a richer flavor?

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
Re: Pre-shredded vs. grate yourself
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:13 AM »
Iceman,

Hand grating cheese yourself is definitely better IMO.  The preshredded cheese you buy at RD or the supermarket contains anti-caking agents that are not good for you and sometimes imparts an off texture to the cheese.

It is possible that the pizzeria you go to blends aged mozzarella with a small amount of provolone or white cheddar, but I'm not certain.  When I was able to get into Restaurant Depot with a temporary pass, I bought their house brand Supremo Italiano three cheese blend, which is a blend of 80% mozzarella, 10% white cheddar and 10% provolone.  It gave my pies a richer flavor profile.  But then I learned about the additives in the preshredded cheese and stopped buying it.  You could certainly make your own blend  ;)

There is a pizzeria around the corner from me that blends whole milk and part skim mozzarella on their pies.

I hope this helps you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:42:48 AM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
Oh I am definitely going to experiment. I am going to try grating my own cheese. I will make two pizzas maybe tomorrow one pure mozzarella and I will make one a mixture say mozzarella and provolone. I will share the results. I will see what cheeses to get. I will likely shop at Wegmans as they have a huge cheese section.

I will see if I can find a "low moisture" cheese as I did read someone had issues w/water pooling in the center.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
So I went to a local pizzeria and grabbed a few slices the other day. Lately I found since I make my own pizza I really hate most pizzerias now. However this has been a place I really enjoyed before. I was not let down it was very good. I have talked to the owner in the past and they make their dough every day.

Now I notice I pay attention a lot more to all the different flavors and the cheese flavor on this pizza was amazing! I asked him if he grated his own cheese and he said yes. I talked a bit about pizza making but I never did ask what kind of cheese he used.

Anyhow on to my real question. Does grating your own cheese really have a massive impact on the flavor of the cheese over using pre-shredded? Is it possible he mixes multiple cheeses to get a richer flavor?
Your 1st paragraph I completely agree with and I posed before and never really got an answer.  I guess as one advances, the more one is less to settle for mediocre. 
You should ask them what cheese they use, I am sure they will share if they have a quality cheese they are proud of.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:44:52 PM by theppgcowboy »

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
Yeah I definitely plan on asking what cheese he uses, he openly shared his sauce. He said it was just plain crushed tomatoes and puree, he didn't elaborate on what herbs/spices he adds if any but I would wager he doesn't add much at all as it has a very mild taste.

I just purchased a block of Wegmans fresh Mozzarella and a block of low moisture. I read the fresh can't be shredded as it releases too much water. I figure tomorrow I will shred the low moisture block and toss a few slices of the fresh around as well and see what happens.

I was low on my KASL flour so this recipe is 1/3 that and the rest if AP. I did notice a considerable difference in how sticky the dough was. I was able to ball it but man that AP clearly absorbs water less than the KASL.

I am also playing w/the sauce a little too. I was doing the microwave extraction but I decided to just plop the ingredients right in the sauce and let them set overnight to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Offline stormholloway

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
If you get a good microplane then there's no reason you should ever buy pre-grated cheese. It's light years better. Not only is the flavor so much stronger but pre-grated cheese are typically a lower quality type of cheese anyway. Grating fresh cheese on pizzas is fun.

Offline bobsacamano

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Since this is the appropriate thread, I need some help.
I'm having a hard time finding block mozzarella cheese, so I have to buy the pre-shredded. Can I wash the anti caking off?

pizzapan