Author Topic: Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella loaf really salty  (Read 461 times)

Offline rscox62

• I Love Pizza!
Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella loaf really salty
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
I purchased a 6lb loaf of Grande Mozzarella and it is really salty. I have purchased the 5 lb Grande shredded several times and it was never salty.
Is there anyway to reduce the saltiness of this loaf. Like adding a lot of sugar to my pizza sauce.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella loaf really salty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Cold sliced and shredded cheese taste different. Have you tried it on a pie yet? If not, you should try that first to see if it still tastes too salty.

Assuming its too salty when used on a pie, adding sugar to your sauce will not make the cheese taste less salty, you will simply have a pizza with sauce that is too sweet AND cheese that is too salty. In this case, I'd suggest using less cheese as a first step.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
If you find that the cheese is indeed too salty you can also try blending it with another Mozzarella cheese. That being the case, I'd try a 50/50 blend to start with and if it is still too salty then go to a lower use level as suggested.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline rscox62

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
Would 50/50 blend using Provolone help.

Offline rscox62

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
Dough Doctor,

I shredded the cheese right upon using. Would cold slicing make a difference?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
Cold sliced and shredded cheese taste different. Have you tried it on a pie yet? If not, you should try that first to see if it still tastes too salty.

Assuming its too salty when used on a pie, adding sugar to your sauce will not make the cheese taste less salty, you will simply have a pizza with sauce that is too sweet AND cheese that is too salty. In this case, I'd suggest using less cheese as a first step.

I agree in that the entire pie taste is what you are after.  It is amazing how ingredients on their own can taste one way and the when blended together it creates a new taste. We  use grande LMWM and shred it with a pelican head attachment on the mixer.  Even how thick/thin you slice it can make a different taste sensation when biting into a whole piece of pizza.  It reminds me a lot of mixing my music in the studio. In isolation vocal/ instruments tones may sound great but when put in with the entire mix of vocals and other instruments it changes dramatically in overall sound.  So pizza is like mixing music in that it seems very simple on the surface but once you get deep into it things can get quite complex with simplicity.   Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
I agree in that the entire pie taste is what you are after.  It is amazing how ingredients on their own can taste one way and the when blended together it creates a new taste. We  use grande LMWM and shred it with a pelican head attachment on the mixer. Even how thick/thin you slice it can make a different taste sensation when biting into a whole piece of pizza.
^^^
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:12:54 AM »
A 50/50 blend of your Mozzarella (too salty) and Provolone would work just fine. Some pizzerias use 100% Provolone cheese on their pizzas and blends of Mozzarella and Provolone are commercially available.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »
Eh.... here in Europe I never had a Mozzarella that tasted salty?
There is hardly taste with the cheap ones, then there is sweetnes from milk in the good Fior di late (cows milk) and maybe rich cream or lactic sourness with the Mozzerella di Buffala from Campania

Provolone would usually taste more salty then Mozzarella

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
Eh.... here in Europe I never had a Mozzarella that tasted salty?
There is hardly taste with the cheap ones, then there is sweetnes from milk in the good Fior di late (cows milk) and maybe rich cream or lactic sourness with the Mozzerella di Buffala from Campania

Provolone would usually taste more salty then Mozzarella

The cheese he is talking about is rather different from Fior di late (cows milk) and Mozzerella di Buffala. It's aged and much drier. It's closer to provolone in texture.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan