Author Topic: What is your favorite Ricotta Cheese?  (Read 149 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
What is your favorite Ricotta Cheese?
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Throughout the years, I've tried several brands of ricotta cheese - Polly-O, Sorrento, Biazzo, ShopRite, Calabro just to name a few.  But it wasn't until a few months ago, that I discovered the best ricotta cheese I've ever tasted.  It is called Montena Taranto from Ridgefield, NJ.  Norma had posted a thread on this brand's fresh mozzarella here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14253.0.  But I found their ricotta at a local Italian deli and have used it a couple times now.  It is by far, the creamiest ricotta cheese I've ever had.  I thought I'd share because it's wonderful on pizza and in lasagna.

The other day I was making lasagna and only had one container.  Unfortunately it was not enough so my husband ran to the store and found another brand that is very good called Maggio.  I'm not sure if either of these brands are only available locally or are available outside of NJ...

Anyway, I wanted to share my favorite brand of ricotta cheese.  What is your favorite brand?
Mary Ann

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: What is your favorite Ricotta Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Liuzzi from North Haven, CT.  They make cheese and have an italian market.  I have never seen it in a retail store though.  They have the regular in their refrigerated case and hand dipped in the metal container in the service cheese section.   

Regular retail I like the Calabro. 

I think I have seen the Maggio but have never tried it, I'll grab a container next time I see it.

Offline pkeibel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:44:14 AM »
Maplebrook ricotta is the only one we use now

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:46:11 AM »
My favorite has to be the Antonio mozzarella factory fresh whole milk ricotta. It comes in a tin container wrapped in plastic, it is so creamy smooth it just melts in your mouth. delicious! I get it my local DeCiccos market.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:20:33 PM »
Throughout the years, I've tried several brands of ricotta cheese - Polly-O, Sorrento, Biazzo, ShopRite, Calabro just to name a few.  But it wasn't until a few months ago, that I discovered the best ricotta cheese I've ever tasted.  It is called Montena Taranto from Ridgefield, NJ.  Norma had posted a thread on this brand's fresh mozzarella here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14253.0.  But I found their ricotta at a local Italian deli and have used it a couple times now.  It is by far, the creamiest ricotta cheese I've ever had.  I thought I'd share because it's wonderful on pizza and in lasagna.

The other day I was making lasagna and only had one container.  Unfortunately it was not enough so my husband ran to the store and found another brand that is very good called Maggio.  I'm not sure if either of these brands are only available locally or are available outside of NJ...

Anyway, I wanted to share my favorite brand of ricotta cheese.  What is your favorite brand?

Funny you should post this at this time, the Montina Taranto is the brand of basket cheese I used for my Easter Pie. I have never seen their ricotta on the shelves, but every Easter a local store (Price Chopper) offers their basket cheese. Ironically, I stopped in today hoping to find a basket left, but no such luck!

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:35:27 PM »
My favorite ricotta has been from the Mozzarella Company from Texas.  They make fine cheese products. Unfortunately, shipping via Fed Ex is prohibitively expensive.  I have used their mozzarella for cannoli for about 20 years.  However, this year I got ricotta del pastaio from Di Bruno house of cheese in Philadelphia which I think is really Grande.  It was even better because it has a rich creaminess to it.

pizzapan