Author Topic: Whole milk mozzarella  (Read 4023 times)

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Whole milk mozzarella
« on: October 08, 2003, 07:35:05 PM »
My favorite whole milk mozzarella cheese is Polly-O Whole Milk Mozzarella. However, I noticed that my pizzas are quite soggy when made using this cheese. So, today I put about a 1/4 cup of the cheese in a bowl and microwaved it for about 20 seconds. While the cheese was soft and flavorful, I noticed a good amount of whey (liquid) in the bowl!  :(

Looks like I'm going to stick with Low-Moisture Part-Skim mozzarella cheese from now on. My local Sam's Club sells 5-pound bags of Stella shredded low-moisture part-skim cheese for just under $10... not a bad price... and the cheese tastes great on pizza!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 07:35:32 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Whole milk mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 09:09:15 PM »
Some, maybe all, packaged shredded cheese have cellulose incorporated into the mix to prevent sticking.  This will give your cheese a gray color when it cools.  Kraft cheese has it for sure.
 I hope the SamĒs Stella cheese doesnít I really like it whole.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »
Steve do you freeze that 5 pounds of cheese from Sam's? Five pounds seems like a lot of cheese.

Randy

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 08:02:27 PM »
I divide the cheese into five 1 pound portions... put them in a zip-lock baggie and freeze them. I use one baggie per pizza (or 1 pound of cheese per pizza). Freezing does not seem to affect the taste or texture of the cheese.  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 08:40:01 PM »
Steve, have you noticed the cheese turning gray shortly after cooking? That is to say it doesn't stay white like whole cheese.
I'm going to give it a try if it doesn't have any additives.
Randy

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 06:53:14 AM »
Nope, haven't notice it turning gray. The pictures of my "best ever thin cracker crust" pizza are made with the Stella low-moisture part-skim.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 09:45:09 AM »
Kraft must be the only one that puts paper in their shredded cheese to prevent it from sticking together in the package.
Their cheese turns a nasty looking gray only minutes out of the oven.  I will give the Samís bag a try.  

Randy