Author Topic: DIY Sausage  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Brien

DIY Sausage
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:21:16 AM »
Hey, anyone here know of any good resources for finding casings for making your own sausage? I just got a stuffer and can't wait to put it to use.

Offline zalicious

Re: DIY Sausage
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »
Try Leeners.com :)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
Joe Ames is my "go-to" guy for many of my sausage supplies.

http://www.theingredientstore.com/generalstore/product_details/855.htm

Super-knowledgeable and friendly if have any questions.

Offline JRo

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »
Bill,
Have you ordered from Ames recently?  I tried ordering some sausage supplies last year like the Amesphos, etc. based on the recommendation from Len Polis' website.

The Ingredient Store took my money and never sent the goods.  They also did not respond to the two or three emails that I sent them afterwards.

I contacted Len Polis just to let him know that he was recommending a site that wasn't fulfilling orders.  He said that he had heard that Joe had been in an accident and was laid up, and it was his boys trying to keep things going for awhile.  Not sure if any of that has changed in the past year or so, but I never did get my goods.

-Jeff

P.S.  Cabela's has sausage casings, etc. if there's one close to you. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »
That is disturbing to hear, Jeff. I have sent Joe an email and asked him to respond.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Jeff,

Here is a portion of the response from Joe which I am happy to pass on. I am sending you via PM his personal phone number.

.... As for the unfulfilled orders, among our problems two computer crashes caused some orders to be lost. My sons have been trying to keep up with the store correspondence but working their primary jobs came first so they could pay their bills. I donít know the details regarding the fellaís on the pizza site but they can get me at this address ames@ptd.net and we will take care of it. I thought we were all caught up. My apologies to the pizza guys ........

Bill/SFNM

Offline JRo

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for following up on this. I'm sure my experience was the exception rather than the rule, as I have heard good things about Joe on sausage sites all over the web.

I followed up with Joe and he made things right.  Great guy, and I will be ordering with them again next time I need sausage supplies.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Offline MWTC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »
I also had a very bad experience with The Ingredients Store.

At Bill's recommendation, I ordered their Italian Sausage spice mix and they sent a steak mix. After making contact with Bob, and explaining the mix up, he promised to correct the problem. After 5-6 follow up emails and many promises to send the correct spices I just gave up. He never did a thing after he promised and promised and promised ....  >:(

Now I see he doesn't even have the Italian spices on his website.

I just sent another email to him. Lets see what he does.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
Profuse apologies to all who followed my recommendation which was based on many years of positive experiences and great support. Obviously, something is broke and I will withhold recommendations until Joe earns back his reputation. What a shame to lose such a good source.

Bill/SFNM

Offline MWTC

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »
They contacted me. (Joe Sr. and Joe Jr.)

He spoke of having a hospital visit to correct a Heart issue. His son also emailed me speaking of family tragedies. Hope all is well now.

He promised to make it right.

A good name takes years to build but just a few missteps to blemish. Quality always rises to the top and a good name can be restored and built even stronger.

MWTC  :chef:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:38:11 AM by MWTC »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »
I just heard Joe Ames, Sr. has passed away. He was a great guy and will be greatly missed.

Bill/SFNM

Offline wea100

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
Bill Ames here...Joe's son.

More than 18 months after my father's sudden death, and we're still finding threads like this. It's really a shame.

Unfortunately, the transition of The Ingredient Store did not go smoothly, but it's better now.

My brothers and I were not expecting to inherit the business when we did, and we are all full-time professionals, with families and careers of our own. We did the best we could, and we learned a lot over the past few years.

My brother Joe and I have taken steps to insure the continuation of the business, and things have been running fairly smoothly for about the last year. We've slowly been adding products back into the line-up, and except for a few computer problems, we've been responding to all the emails we get.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but suffice to say that there are people on the other end of email addresses, and if I'd tell you the hell I've been through in the last five years, you might not believe me. I won't tell you my sob story here, because most folks just wouldn't care. It would have broken many people. My brother Bob had a nervous breakdown as it was.

Anyway, if anybody had any problems, please contact me directly or through the Ingredient Store's web site (I can't seem to post a link here), and we'll make it up to you. My email address is bill.ames at theingredientstore

If you need advice on sausage making, my father passed a lot of his knowledge down to me, and I have all of his old notes, references and formulas. I'll try to help out where I can!

--Bill