Author Topic: Not traditional but yummy  (Read 702 times)

Offline tikidoc

Not traditional but yummy
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
With all the nasty weather here in NE TN, I was pretty much stuck at home yesterday, and the family wanted deep dish.  I usually make sausage pizza, but alas, no Italian sausage, and my rear wheel drive Mazda RX8 had to be left in a parking lot 2 miles from home when I got back from work yesterday after a 24 hour shift, since the secondary roads out here in the boonies had not been plowed (they still aren't).  So, I went on a hunting expedition in the freezer and came up with a nice piece of Portuguese sausage, linguica.  We were in MA a couple months ago, and always bring some back when we go.  So I sliced it up, precooked a bit in the microwave to get rid of some excess fat, and made the pizza as usual.  I use a modification of the Cook's Illustrated dough, omitting the cornmeal and using 12% semolina and 8% rice flour.  Sauce was the CI recipe using 6 in 1 tomatoes.

It turned out great!  I'm not sure I am going to be allowed to use Italian sausage until the supply of linguica is gone! I still think I prefer the Italian but the family disagrees with me.  So for those of you who want to try something a little different and live somewhere that there is enough of a Portuguese population to have access to linguica, give it a try!

I didn't take pics but will try to take a pic when I heat up a piece of the leftovers, if there is a camera in the house with a charged battery.