Author Topic: Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
I'm curious as to your favorite cheese blends for a cheese pizza.  Now i'm not talking about what brand of cheese, i'm more interested in whether anyone mixes types of cheese. 

For example, last night I made a 17 inch NY cheese pizza with two types of mozzarella cheese (one more moist than the other), a little bit of Monterey jack, a little bit of cheddar and a little bit of Romano cheese.  It was really good!  I think the ratio may have been 8:8:2:1:1 (mozz 1, mozz 2, Monterey jack, cheddar and Romano).

I'm a bit embarrassed by the cell phone picture but we had a pizza party with some friends and I was trying not to get out my big dslr with flash, so I squeezed in a cell phone shot when no one was looking!

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Your favorite cheese blend for a simple cheese pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
John,

When I was playing around with the Papa Gino's clones, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg70317.html#msg70317, I tried a three-cheese blend similar to what Papa Gino's uses on its pizzas (according to their ingredients list). My version included low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese (LMPS), white cheddar cheese, and grated Romano cheese. I first tried a ratio of 75% LMPS, 23% white cheddar cheese, and 2% grated Romano cheese, all by weight. I subsequently tried a ratio of 70/28/2.  As between these two blends, I slightly preferred the second one over the first one. All of the chesses were comminuted to dice form in my Cuisinart stand mixer. I had originally planned to use a reduced-fat white cheddar cheese but I could not find any in the stores near me, so I used a sharp NY cheddar cheese, which was one of the few versions I could find. I ended up liking that version of the white cheddar cheese better than the milder ones. I also added some dried oregano to the blend, as does Papa Gino's, but when I subsequently had a real PG pizza, I could not spot it visually in their blend. Their cheese blend was also a diced blend.

Peter

Offline Grilling24x7

• Grilling 24x7
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
Hi Peter,

Interesting.  What made you think to try the reduced fat version of the cheddar cheese?  I like the idea of a white cheddar, I was using standard yelow sharp cheddar cheese.

Now that I have a new Cuisinart food processor with cheese grating attachment (thanks Santa), I'm having a blast at going overboard with cheese! 

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »
What made you think to try the reduced fat version of the cheddar cheese?

John,

At the time, I was working with the PG nutrition information and I was having a difficult time trying to make all of the fat numbers work out. The only way I could get the numbers to line up was to conclude that PG was using a fat-reduced white cheddar cheese. I later learned that the nutrition information that PG uses is based on uncooked pizzas, not baked and cooled pizzas. Had I known that at the time I was making the clones, that might have changed my numbers on the cheeses.

I concluded that you need a fair amount of the white cheddar cheese. When I ended up eating the real PG pizza, I had a hard time detecting the flavor of the white cheddar cheese. I think my three-cheese blend was far better than PG's.

Peter

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:48:23 AM »
I'm curious as to your favorite cheese blends for a cheese pizza.  Now i'm not talking about what brand of cheese, i'm more interested in whether anyone mixes types of cheese. 

Short answer, my target cheese is the gooey runny type.
I use a 50:50 blend of two very different mozzarella cheeses;
Sorrento and Maggio, drizzled with Bertoli Classico olive oil.

See REPLY#1 and REPLY#6 in the thread below for pics and more details.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7171.msg61857.html#msg61857

---pete---
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:50:15 AM by petef »

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
My fav is a blend of  Whole Milk Mozz (50%) / Prov (20%) / Fresh Shredded Parm (10%) / Fontinella (20%). 
Perfection IMO.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
Mozzarella and provolone, half and half. Not imaginative, but still excellent.

Costco mozzarella and GFS provolone, to be specific. GFS mozzarella is not that great.

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:07 PM »
80% part-skim, low-moisture Grande mixed with 20% provolone

Offline 4D55 Performance Inc.

• Smoke Master
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
I like to use Gossner mozzarella and Gossner medium yellow cheddar. I use a 90% mozzarella and 10% cheddar for a little bite and to add some color. Gossners cheeses are fantastic.  I love having one of the largest cheese plants in the country just 3 miles away. I also love to just go into there outlet store and eat all the samples. mmmmmmmm

I think sometimes less is more.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Call me insane, but I often go with... *GASP* Walmart Whole Milk Mozzarella block *GASP*

Cheap and tastes good.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
I am in no position to look down on that.

Although we Costco Commandos do sneer at the other big stores.

Offline 4D55 Performance Inc.

• Smoke Master
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »
Call me insane, but I often go with... *GASP* Walmart Whole Milk Mozzarella block *GASP*

Cheap and tastes good.

And there is some truth to what your saying. For the most part all the store brand cheese sold in the west is produced by Gossners or Shreibers, except for Walmart. They have a different supplier. I wish knew who was producing there cheese but I do not. They maybe using a very high quality supplier.
I smoke my pie

Spence

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
The WalMart Great Value Whole-Milk Mozz is IMO Polly-O.  It is formed in the same somewhat unusual square, and wrapped similarly.  The flavor profile, texture and layering all scream Polly-O.  I'm a cheese lover with a fairly discriminating palate, and I'm pretty sure that's what you're getting, and, if so, that's a good deal at WalMart prices.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Glutenboy,

I'm afraid that I may have to silence the scream  :-D. I researched this subject some time ago and concluded that Polly-O was not the source of the Wal-Mart Great Value mozzarella cheese, as I discussed at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1742.msg15590/topicseen.html#msg15590 and also at Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1392.msg13276/topicseen.html#msg13276. That was back in 2005 but since then Wal-Mart has become an even bigger monster with a bigger appetite for mozzarella cheese, which further places in doubt that Polly-O would be able to meet Wal-Mart's requirements. According to Wikipedia, most of the Polly-O cheeses are made in its (single) facility in Campbell, NY. I would be happy to concede defeat if turns out that I am wrong ;D.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Pete-zza,
I remember I used to think the Walmart stuff is Polly-O. I still wonder if it is, honestly. For the money, it's the best I can find in my area. Even the more expensive 'artisan' style whole milk mozzarella I've found doesn't even stand up to it. Maybe it's Sargento, if not Polly-O. All I know is it's delicious. I'd LOVE to know definitively who makes it...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
Peter -

Never having researched the subject beyond product inspection, I would not presume to dispute your findings.  The cheese to which I'm referring can only be found (in my experience) in Super WalMart.  It is shaped in the flat square brick just like Polly-O and tastes and tears like it.  Have you done a side-by-side?  That is the basis of my suspicion that they're of common origin.  If you can, try it and tell me what you think based on your senses.  Either way that GV cheese is a bargain for the quality.

- GB

Offline scott123

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:06 AM »
Walmart mozzarella could vary from region to region, but I know, for certain, that the cheese at my Walmart (Northern NJ) is most definitely not Polly-O. I checked the nutritional info when I was in there yesterday.

Great Value Mozzarella
Sodium: 210 mg

And checked the Polly-O at my local supermarket today.

Polly-O
Sodium: 200 mg

Now, 10 mg might not seem like a lot, but, I've been in a jam in the past and had to go with the Walmart stuff and the level of saltiness was through the roof. I don't really understand why, but all of Walmart's cheeses are ungodly salty.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
Never having researched the subject beyond product inspection, I would not presume to dispute your findings.  The cheese to which I'm referring can only be found (in my experience) in Super WalMart.  It is shaped in the flat square brick just like Polly-O and tastes and tears like it.  Have you done a side-by-side?  That is the basis of my suspicion that they're of common origin.  If you can, try it and tell me what you think based on your senses.  Either way that GV cheese is a bargain for the quality.

Glutenboy,

I will have to check to see if there is a Super WalMart near me. Unfortunately, Polly-O is hard to find in my area so it may be hard for me to locate some to do a comparison. When I am next in Dallas, I will see if I can locate a whole-milk form of that cheese. I can find the Great Value whole-milk mozzarella cheese but I would rather try to locate a Super WalMart in case the cheese they sell is different than what they sell in their regular WalMart. Even then, a comparison may not be entirely dispositive of the issue since the age of the cheeses can be a factor that impacts on taste.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Scott, I'm a salt freak, so... the GV WMM hits the salt spot for me perfectly. I love it.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 01:32:03 AM »
Okay.  So I'm back east in CT right now, and I had the opportunity to buy some Sorrento WM mozzarella.  The brick is the same shape and size as Polly-O and it has a similar texture and flavor profile (though IMO a bit saltier and creamier.)  Is it possible that this is what Wal-Mart markets as Great Value?  If so, I can see why I was fooled.  Anyone have any thoughts?  By the way, though I haven't had an opportunity to make pie with it, it's very tasty from the package.  Scott R, I think you've had some opinions on Sorrento.  What do you say?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:34:37 AM by Glutenboy »