Author Topic: Preferment Dough  (Read 781 times)

Offline patdakat345

Preferment Dough
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:49 AM »
I have been making pizza for over 20 years and bread for a lot longer. I have many recipes that use a starter.
So I was somewhat confused by the term preferment. So I looked it up in the dictionary and here is the pronunciation and meaning.

pref∑er∑ence   [pref-er-uhns, pref-ruhns]
the act of preferring.
the state of being preferred.
that which is preferred;  choice: His preference is vanilla, not chocolate.
a practical advantage given to one over others.
a prior right or claim, as to payment of dividends or to assets upon dissolution.

Why was this preferred above all others? Then the aha moment. What is really meant is pre-ferment, an entirely different meaning.
I can see why this could happen as a word processor would recognize the spelling and context as correct.
Checked many other sites and could only find one or two that used pre-ferment correctly. The word preferment has taken on a life of it's own.
So that is my senior moment
I like these forums and it's comprehensive and it is apparent that the nicest people on the internet are here.

pat

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Preferment Dough
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
I have been making pizza for over 20 years and bread for a lot longer. I have many recipes that use a starter.
So I was somewhat confused by the term preferment. So I looked it up in the dictionary and here is the pronunciation and meaning.

pref∑er∑ence   [pref-er-uhns, pref-ruhns]
the act of preferring.
the state of being preferred.
that which is preferred;  choice: His preference is vanilla, not chocolate.
a practical advantage given to one over others.
a prior right or claim, as to payment of dividends or to assets upon dissolution.

Why was this preferred above all others? Then the aha moment. What is really meant is pre-ferment, an entirely different meaning.
I can see why this could happen as a word processor would recognize the spelling and context as correct.
Checked many other sites and could only find one or two that used pre-ferment correctly. The word preferment has taken on a life of it's own.
So that is my senior moment
I like these forums and it's comprehensive and it is apparent that the nicest people on the internet are here.

pat

Pat,

If you want to learn about preferments and how they might be used, this is a link to Peterís post about preferments.  You might also want to read Didier Rosada articles contained in the post.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10186.msg89195.html#msg89195

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:43 AM »
Norma, as I have said in my post, I knew all about pre-fermenting in the pizza and bread books that I have collected over the years.
The problem was that I took the word literally to be as it was spelled. I have been to link you specified before. I have also seen many of
your posts and I like your approach and contributions.

pat

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
Norma, as I have said in my post, I knew all about pre-fermenting in the pizza and bread books that I have collected over the years.
The problem was that I took the word literally to be as it was spelled. I have been to link you specified before. I have also seen many of
your posts and I like your approach and contributions.

pat

Pat,

Sorry, I read your post wrong.  :-[ I didnít even know what a preferment was until I came upon this forum, and I am almost sure anyone that doesnít make bread or pizza hasnít a clue what a preferment is.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pies and posts.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan