Author Topic: No Rise - What Went Wrong?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline DanCole42

No Rise - What Went Wrong?
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
Yesterday I baked some pizza napoletana using a starter that's been very successful in the past, only this time I ended up with a thin, dense, unrisen dough! Can someone give me some pointers of where I went wrong?

100.7g   Caputo 00
1.7g      Salt
10.6g    Starter
65.4g    Water (40F)

1) Start with a 1:1 sourdough starter, several hours after feeding and just before it reaches absolute peak rise.
2) Autolyse dough for 20 minutes (just flour and water).
3) Mix in salt and starter and knead.
4) Put dough in fridge for 36 hours.
5) Remove dough 6 hours before baking.

Possible issues:

1) Should I have included the starter in the autolyse? I usually do!
2) Could the dough have overfermented? It was extremely malleable.
3) Should I have let the starter get to work for a few hours before actually putting the dough in the fridge?
4) Should the dough have spent more time out of the fridge?

Thanks for the help!!!
-Dan

GChat: DanCole42

MORBO: The challenger's ugly food has shown us that even hideous things can be sweet on the inside.

Online TXCraig1

Re: No Rise - What Went Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »
Was your starter a natural starter or made from commercial yeast (IDI, ADY, CY)?

In my experience, doughs made with natural starters don't do worth a darn in the refrigerator.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline DanCole42

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
Was your starter a natural starter or made from commercial yeast (IDI, ADY, CY)?

In my experience, doughs made with natural starters don't do worth a darn in the refrigerator.

CL
Why would you make a starter from commercial yeast?  ???
-Dan

MORBO: The challenger's ugly food has shown us that even hideous things can be sweet on the inside.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
Why would you make a starter from commercial yeast?  ???

I don't know, but its not uncommon. Often, it's more of a preferment that someone referrs to as a "starter."

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
Dan,  a number of posters have reported problems with refrigerating natural starter doughs.  My guess is the dough temp and the temp of fridge is the issue - the colder the less likely it will work.  I have been playing with an Ischia starter for a few months and went with 2% starter and at room temp got doubling in just about a day.  More recently I tried a 10% with refrigeration- and found no movement at all for the first day or two,  and then took it out and left it a room temp for half a day or, and saw some growth and came out fine. As you suggest, it may be that it needs to stay out at room temp for a short time to start getting active, and then refrigeration slows it down, as opposed to going dormant when it goes into the fridge.   For right now I am still continuing to experiment, but I find the lower concentration of yeast with a room temp rise is giving me a more consistent result. 

Offline DanCole42

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »
Dan,  a number of posters have reported problems with refrigerating natural starter doughs.  My guess is the dough temp and the temp of fridge is the issue - the colder the less likely it will work.  I have been playing with an Ischia starter for a few months and went with 2% starter and at room temp got doubling in just about a day.  More recently I tried a 10% with refrigeration- and found no movement at all for the first day or two,  and then took it out and left it a room temp for half a day or, and saw some growth and came out fine. As you suggest, it may be that it needs to stay out at room temp for a short time to start getting active, and then refrigeration slows it down, as opposed to going dormant when it goes into the fridge.   For right now I am still continuing to experiment, but I find the lower concentration of yeast with a room temp rise is giving me a more consistent result. 
Thanks so much! I've heard talk of room temperature rises all over the place here on the site, but haven't really found a single source for info. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
-Dan

pizzapan