Author Topic: Flour for pizza  (Read 1028 times)

Offline bobku

Flour for pizza
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
I'm new to this made first pizza last night from Peter Rinehart's recipe. Now I know why I need a pizza stone, tasted good but very doughy in the center . I know I have a lot to learn, I would like to know where everyone gets their flour or what kind they use. I read the beginners glossary and realize why my flour was giving me a hard time in shaping the dough. I was using All trumps high protein flour I get it in a 50 pound bag works perfect for my bagels. What would you recommend using to start out I know their must be a lot of variations thet people use, just need some direction

Offline IndyRob

Re: Flour for pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
I may be pilloried for this, but I don't notice much of a difference whether I use 'bread flour', 'unbleached flour', 'hi-gluten flour', or whatever.  I often think about just using generic all-purpose just to see if I see a difference.

However, I should say that I've strayed away from trying to reproduce any specific pizza and am just going my own way.  There came a point where I realized that what I was producing was something I preferred more than what I was originally going for.

If you're getting a doughy interior I'd look at heat and the way it's being applied first.  Or maybe let the dough proof in the pan or on the peel prior to baking. 

I made bagels once out of curiosity and they looked great just before I carelessly dumped them into the boiling water.  They turned out 'okay' but I think my technique (or woeful lack thereof) was the main thing.  Similarly, I once took my pans, my dough, my sauce, my cheese and my toppings to a friend's house and baked it in their oven.  The result was nearly disastrous and was the single greatest variation I had witnessed in all my time of purposely trying to create variations.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »

Which Reinhart dough recpie did you use and what style or type of pizza are you trying to make?

Offline bobku

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough from Peter Reinhart's American Pie.  I got it from the Fresh Loaf web site .I found some of my answers here in the recipe section. I think I need to do a lot more reading here lots of information to take in. This pizza making seems to be in a whole other world on its own .. I think I'll start with some of the basic recipes here

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »

If you are feeling a little adventuresome, you might want to try the Tom Lehmann New York style pizza dough recipe found here

This will require you to then use the dough tools found here
but will hopefully accomplish 2 things:
1) Help acquaint you with the dough tools found on pizzamaking website
2) Give you a good recipe for a nice dough.

I only fairly recently actually tried using the Lehmann recipe and have found it to be a good go-to recipe for NY style pizza and just pizza in general. 

Petezza did a yeoman's job in developing that recipe so his tips will also prove invaluable (as you will soon learn if you haven't already  ;)).

Let them eat pizza.