Author Topic: Flour for pizza  (Read 906 times)

Offline bobku

Flour for pizza
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
I'm new to this made first pizza last night from Peter Rinehart's recipe. Now I know why I need a pizza stone, tasted good but very doughy in the center . I know I have a lot to learn, I would like to know where everyone gets their flour or what kind they use. I read the beginners glossary and realize why my flour was giving me a hard time in shaping the dough. I was using All trumps high protein flour I get it in a 50 pound bag works perfect for my bagels. What would you recommend using to start out I know their must be a lot of variations thet people use, just need some direction

Offline IndyRob

Re: Flour for pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
I may be pilloried for this, but I don't notice much of a difference whether I use 'bread flour', 'unbleached flour', 'hi-gluten flour', or whatever.  I often think about just using generic all-purpose just to see if I see a difference.

However, I should say that I've strayed away from trying to reproduce any specific pizza and am just going my own way.  There came a point where I realized that what I was producing was something I preferred more than what I was originally going for.

If you're getting a doughy interior I'd look at heat and the way it's being applied first.  Or maybe let the dough proof in the pan or on the peel prior to baking. 

I made bagels once out of curiosity and they looked great just before I carelessly dumped them into the boiling water.  They turned out 'okay' but I think my technique (or woeful lack thereof) was the main thing.  Similarly, I once took my pans, my dough, my sauce, my cheese and my toppings to a friend's house and baked it in their oven.  The result was nearly disastrous and was the single greatest variation I had witnessed in all my time of purposely trying to create variations.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
bobku,

Which Reinhart dough recpie did you use and what style or type of pizza are you trying to make?

Peter

Offline bobku

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough from Peter Reinhart's American Pie.  I got it from the Fresh Loaf web site .I found some of my answers here in the recipe section. I think I need to do a lot more reading here lots of information to take in. This pizza making seems to be in a whole other world on its own .. I think I'll start with some of the basic recipes here

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »
bobku:

If you are feeling a little adventuresome, you might want to try the Tom Lehmann New York style pizza dough recipe found here http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_nystyle.php

This will require you to then use the dough tools found here http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html
but will hopefully accomplish 2 things:
1) Help acquaint you with the dough tools found on pizzamaking website
2) Give you a good recipe for a nice dough.

I only fairly recently actually tried using the Lehmann recipe and have found it to be a good go-to recipe for NY style pizza and just pizza in general. 

Petezza did a yeoman's job in developing that recipe so his tips will also prove invaluable (as you will soon learn if you haven't already  ;)).

-ME
Let them eat pizza.