Author Topic: Tried the Giordano’s Stuffed Crust Tonight  (Read 7062 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tried the Giordano’s Stuffed Crust Tonight
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
I tried the Giordano’s Stuffed Crust tonight and must say it was quite tasty.  Since I never tried any kind of stuffed crust this was a new adventure.  Didn’t even ever eat a Chicago Deep Dish, so I have nothing to compare it to.  One slice really fills you up!!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tried the Giordano’s Stuffed Crust Tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
WOW :o
you nailed that !! Looks great Just  like the real thing or mail order!
Missing pic of top skin before cooking? How was the top crust? cooked through? Same dough as bottom only thinner right? Great job Norma! Its really on my list now. Can you share your recipe or thread, and techniques you used to produce such a pretty pie. cook times fillinf cheese etc... You finished it on a screen? I might even try to eat 2 slices of that!!
John
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:12:07 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
John,

Thanks and here is the recipe.  It is one Peter posted.  I forget right now, where it was.  I used the deep dish calculator to make a larger formula.

Giordano’s Stuffed Pizza

Flour (100%):    1068.53 g  |  37.69 oz | 2.36 lbs
Water (41.1765%):    439.98 g  |  15.52 oz | 0.97 lbs
ADY (1.56862%):    16.76 g | 0.59 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.43 tsp | 1.48 tbsp
Salt (2.02665%):    21.66 g | 0.76 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.51 tsp | 1.5 tbsp
Corn Oil (16.6554%):    177.97 g | 6.28 oz | 0.39 lbs | 13.18 tbsp | 0.82 cups
Total (161.42717%):   1724.9 g | 60.84 oz | 3.8 lbs | TF = 0.1306813
Single Inner Ball:   663.42 g | 23.4 oz | 1.46 lbs
Single Outer Ball:   199.03 g | 7.02 oz | 0.44 lbs

I did take a picture of the top crust before baking and here is the top crust. Brushed top crust with olive oil. I rolled the dough with a rolling pin. With my oven not working the best, I could only get it up to 425, but kept watching how it was doing.
I put any kind of filling I had left in the fridge. Two kinds of mozzarella, two kinds of Parmesan, pepperoni, salami, sausage and sauce.  When finished put sauce, 2 kinds of Parmesan and parsley on top.

It was good, but I could only eat one slice.  It is so thick with stuffing..lol

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:58:53 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
John,

Here is where I got the recipe. Reply #116 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674.100.html
Peter did the calculations.  I didn’t have Corn Oil, so I used Crisco Oil.  I used two kinds of flour.  One a no name brand AP from our local country store and the other was KAAP. 

I didn't have any problems rolling the dough out because of all the oil in the recipe.  I made the dough Sunday, left in the fridge to ferment and made it tonight.  It was finished on a screen.  I didn't really measure, but I think the top and bottom crusts were about the same in thickness.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:01:08 AM by norma427 »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
Nice pie, Norma.  I'd be very proud to make that at home. :pizza:

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
Norma, you nailed it!!  ;D

Those are some beautiful pics of lucious pizza goodness.  8)

And if one slice filled you up, then you know you did it right, because that should be the case.  Whenever I'm in the Chicago and stop at Giordano's, I'm lucky to get past two slices even when I'm very hungry.  I usually end up taking 2/3 of it back to my hotel room.

Great job!  I love your willingness to experiment and try different styles and ways of doing things.  Isn't this fun?  :-D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline BTB

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
Missing pic of top skin before cooking? How was the top crust? cooked through? Same dough as bottom only thinner right?
John, I used to think that the top crust was much thinner than the bottom crust, but after watching them make the pizzas many times at the Tampa Giordano's restaurant, it became clear that the top crust was the exact same thickness as the bottom crust.  Despite that, I would recommend home pizzamakers make the top crust thinner as it will never really cook throughly like the bottom crust will.  It will always remain somewhat lesser cooked.

Norma, you are getting great at making pizzas.  I, like others, really enjoy watching, hearing and seeing your adventures in pizzamaking. I would love to see you in Chicago trying some of these great pizzas that you never tasted.                                 --BTB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
RoadPizza,

Thanks for the compliment.  I enjoyed making this pizza.

Norma

Mad_Ernie,

I had always wondered how a stuffed crust tasted.  I really enjoyed this pie. I really do like experimenting, although sometimes things don’t work out.  But that is the fun of making different kinds of pizza.  This whole forum is so helpful and all the people here are always so kind.  This whole pizza making adventure is fun!

Thanks,

Norma

BTB,

Thanks for you compliment and saying you have enjoyed my pizza making adventures.  I enjoy them, too.  I would love to be able to try all the pizzas in Chicago.  I talked to standholders today about if they have ever tasted a Chicago dish and not one of them have ever tried one.  It seems like different parts of the world are missing something if they never tasted one.  I have some dough left over and am going to try just a regular deep dish with the dough.

Norma

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
Norma,

Just as a sidenote, I was wondering how often you get customers asking you when you will open a full pizza restaurant?  From what I've seen of your pizzas (all types), they must be making big hits with people who buy a slice or 2. 

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »
Mad_Ernie,

I do have customers that ask where my regular pizza shop is where they can order pizza, but I am too old to make pizza all week..lol  Right now, I don't make other kinds of pizza at my stand.  I am just experimenting at home to see what I might add.  I do make cheesy breadsticks, pizza pinwheels, garlic knots, pizza buns, and Panini sandwiches all out of the same Lehmann dough.  When I am done experimenting and have other things perfected, (by cost and taste) then I will add other pizza items..you know the old saying goes..take it one step at a time.or even one day at a time.

Thanks,
Norma

Offline aaron28

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
Very nice, and thanks for the directions. I'm going to try it out because that looks really good. I agree you nailed that recipe. I'm looking forward to some more.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:18:30 AM »
Very nice, and thanks for the directions. I'm going to try it out because that looks really good. I agree you nailed that recipe. I'm looking forward to some more.

aaron28,

Thanks for saying the pie was very nice.  This pie was really good.  I don't have a real Giordano's pie to compare it to, though.  I want to try another stuffed crust sometime soon.

Best of luck if you try this pie,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Norma,

A couple of years ago, the Travel Channel had a video on the Giordano's pizza. I couldn't find the link to the video at the Travel Channel website today but I found the video at http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/giordano-pizza/ayYtJEjGExG-CEz-13K6qw. You can see how the pizza is made from that video.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Norma,

I couldn't find the link to the video at the Travel Channel website today but I found the video at http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/giordano-pizza/ayYtJEjGExG-CEz-13K6qw.

Peter

Peter,

That link won't work on my computer.  I will try it later.  Maybe it is my computer.  :-\

Maybe in the next month, I will try the Giordano’s Stuffed Crust, again.  I really enjoyed this pie.  Even my family really enjoyed this pie.  It was really different from the other pies I have tried.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
Norma,

It didn't work for me either when I tried it again. We always had problems with the Giordano's links at Travel Channel. I would have to find it each time I wanted to view it.

I found the blix video by doing a Google search using the search terms "travel channel, giordano's video" (without the quotes).

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »

Peter,

Thanks for telling where to find the video of Giordano’s Pizza.  It was very interesting because I saw how they also twirled the dough.  Since this dough does have a very high hydration of oil, I can now see that Mack's dough could have a much higher percent of oil in their dough, also. That gives me something to think about.  Giordano’s dough does look something like Mack’s dough, but Mack's dough balls were lighter. I remember how easily the Giordano's dough handled when I made this pie.  I didn't think about twirling it though.  It was just rolled out.

It’s also weird, that I could get the link to work on my word, but when I tried it again for the second time, it said Oops, someone seems to have lost that page.

Norma

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
Norma, do remember what size pan you used?

Randy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
Randy,

The deep-dish pan I used was 12 1/2" across the top and 11 1/4" on the bottom.  It is slanted.  I had purchased a few of these in one lot on Ebay.  They were used.

Norma

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »
I will scale it down then to fit my 10" pan.

Thanks Norma.

Randy