Author Topic: jm's pizza dough recipe  (Read 1636 times)

Offline jm

• I Love Pizza!
jm's pizza dough recipe
« on: March 03, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
Here is my dough recipe that I have been working with for the past year or so.

5 1/2 cups KA Bread Flour
1 cup Pillsbury Cake Flour
19 3/4 oz water @ 105 degrees
2 oz C & H Bakers Sugar
1 oz Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Crisco
4 tsp Fleischmanns ADY
Filippo Berio Olive Oil to lubricate pizza containers

First I make a starter.  Add the yeast to the water at 105 degrees. Stir with a fork to break up the yeast After a few minutes add about half the sugar. Let it bloom for about 5-8 minutes. Mix in about 3 cups of the flour mixture and add the remaining sugar.  Stir until it looks like a pancake batter.  Cover and put in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours.  Now add the sea salt to the remaining flour and set aside for later.

After the 24 hour refrigeration of the starter, remove from refrigerator and prepare to make dough.  I use a very large stainless steel mixing bowl (20 quart) to mix the dough.  Add the 1 tbsp of Crisco to the starter and stir together. Now empty the starter into the mixing bowl and add about half of the remaining flour mixture. Combine with a large spoon until it forms a ball then add the rest of it.  Continue with the large spoon until it comes together a little more. Start working with your hands. I do not use a mixer. I have a new Viking 7 quart that is collecting dust. It helps to dip your hands in cold water to keep dough from sticking too much.  Now I dump the dough mixture on to my flour dusted countertop and continue kneeding.  It's very important NOT to over kneed this dough.  Stop when smooth and soft...about 2 minutes.  NO MORE!  Cut the dough into 2 or 3 equal parts depending on what size pizza's you want to make. I generally make about a 14 inch pie.  Shape into tight balls and place into oiled plastic containers. Coat the top of the dough balls lightly with olive oil to prevent a skin from forming.

At this point you can put it in the refrigerator for a 24 hour slow rise. If you can't wait,  place them on your counter for 5 - 6 hours until your ready to make pizza.  Either way works great.  Make sure you remove the refrigerated dough a good 2-3 hours before you start making your pizzas.  NEVER punch the dough down.  It should feel softer than a down pillow when you work with it.  It will stretch beautifully and NEVER use a rolling pin.

I generally use 6 in 1 crushed peeled for my sauce.  I add garlic softened in olive oil, fresh torn basil leaves, olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, and a little Imported Pecorino Romano cheese.  I sometimes like to use a Marinara sauce for a change. The mozzarella cheese I like to use is Grande whole milk, low moisture. I use to use Polly-O whole milk...I got tired of the cheese blistering and burning.

I bake my pies in a 550 degree oven on a stone.  I have added additional unglazed quarry tiles and a top stone to generate more radiant heat.  So far so good!  I might try dropping the temp to 475 degrees because my wife prefers her pizza with very little char.

jm

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: jm's pizza dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:49:52 PM »
Oh that looks so good!!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:27:45 AM »
jm,
Interesting use of a starter. Fabulous looking oven spring. Nice picture angle.

I am becoming more and more convinced the best looking crust in terms of oven spring and overall appearance are made with doughs that have been fermented for at least 24 hours with or without some sort of starter, biga, etc.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:08:16 AM »
The 24-hour rise (at least 24, anyway) in my experience has been crucial.  There's no comparison between the doughs I used to make with a normal warm rise, and the dough I make with a refrigerator rise--the cold, long rise is hands-down better-tasting, not even close.  I find that even adding on another 24 hours--for a total of 48 hours--makes it even better than a simple 24-hour rise, and improves the dough handling too.  I have direct experience with this because I always make two batches of dough, and I always wind up using one the next day (24-hour rise) and the other one another day later (48-hour), and I've NEVER had the first pizza wind up tasting as good as the second pizza.

Dave