Author Topic: Peel, wood VS aluminum  (Read 3192 times)

Offline DanTheMan

Peel, wood VS aluminum
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
I am sure this is posted somewhere, but I thought to ask any way. Is there a big difference between the two? I plan on using the peel to make the pie on and transfer in and out of the oven.  It seems to me the the aluminum one would be easier to move the pie off of since it would be thinner. I can also buy the aluminum peel for about half the cost of the wooden one locally.

Thanks,

Dan

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Peel, wood VS aluminum
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Dan,

Pizza operators who specialize in Neapolitan style pizzas that are fairly small in size (9"-11" or so) and are sparse with the sauce, cheese and toppings can use metal peels, both to load pizzas into the oven and to remove them or turn them in the oven. They typically dress the pizza on a marble or other stone surface and slide it onto the metal peel. But professionals who make the typical American style pizza, especially large size pizzas with a lot of things on them, would never slide or dress a pizza on a metal peel and then load it into the oven. They use a wooden peel or a laminated/pressed or similar make-up peel for this purpose, and then use a metal peel to remove or turn the pizzas while in the oven. I don't want to tell you that it is impossible to use only a metal peel in the latter instances, because we would be sure to hear from members who do just that, but my preference is to have two peels at my disposal, one wood and one metal. The metal peel can be fairly small (smaller than the pizza but not too small) because it is only used to remove or move pizzas in the oven.

For typical views on this matter from professionals, see http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7536&start=0.

Peter

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Ditto, one metal and one wood peel for pizza and one skinny long bladed peel for bread placement when I bake bread in the oven.

Offline Tory

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
In my recent attempts at making a napolitano pizza, I find it VERY difficult to slide the pizza onto a metal peel, or slide the peel under the pizza when I'm ready to move the pizza into the oven. This has left me considering either using parchment paper, or just putting the pizza dough on a dusted wooden peel and applying the sauce and toppings and then hopefully can slide it into the oven. I'm thinking though that the wood peel would be better all around for this.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
Stretch and open your dough until it's close to the shape you want on your work surface, whatever that is.  Clear away the flour on the peel side.  Rub the wood peel with flour, making sure to work it into any cracks. Tap the excess off.  Gently slide the dough onto the peel, shake it to make sure it isn't sticking, put sauce on, shake it again, put cheese on, shake it... etc.  You get the idea.  Keep it moving until you're ready to launch.

If you are using a low-hydration dough, you may not need all that shaking.  Really depends on experience.

Wood to make & launch, metal to turn & recover. 

I've seen videos where the pieman makes 10 pies at once, pulls them onto the metal peel, launches them, turns and pulls them all with the same peel.  That's expertise at work.  Years of daily work in a fast paced environment will give you that.  I bet some of those guys could use a sheet of plywood to good effect.  Pizza kung-fu masters.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
Wood to make & launch, metal to turn & recover.

Kind of says it all in my opinion.  (or IMO for the younger generation)

ron

pizzapan