Author Topic: Question about Deep Dish - Old Pizza Inn (1970's!)  (Read 1446 times)

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
Question about Deep Dish - Old Pizza Inn (1970's!)
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »
I don't know if anyone will remember this, but back in the old days when I was a highschooler in the late 70's we had a Pizza Inn in our town that made what I assume was a deep dish pizza.  I once thought I saw the recipe for this exact pizza on this site, but that was a while ago, and now it's gone.

If you remember this pizza chain, and this pizza, was it a "Chicago style" pizza?  I remember it being very layered and at least an inch thick, but it I don't recall it looking quite like the pictures of deep dish pizza I am seeing in the forum.

I'd really like to take a shot at duplicating the Pizza Inn deep dish, if anyone can point me in the right direction.  I've tried the search engine, but it hasn't help.  Pete, Joe, or any of the long timers, do you remember the recipe I'm talking about?

THANKS!

Milo

Offline milo357

• Go and make Pizza!
Re: Question about Deep Dish - Old Pizza Inn (1970's!)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
btw, what kind of pan do you cook a deep dish pizza in?  Metal?  Ceramic?  And how big around are they supposed to be?

Thanks!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Milo:

I have some vague memory of this deep-dish pizza from Pizza Inn of which you speak.  As I recall, it was their answer to Pizza Hut's pan pizza.  Unfortunately my memory is not good enough to recall the exact dimensions of the pizza, but you might want to take a look at the American Pizza forum and see what others have done with the Pizza Hut pan clone and that might get you off to a good start.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
My mother managed a Pizza Inn back then.

The Deep dish was the answer to Pizza Hutís Pan and went through several changes over the years (some still offer them).  In the 70s the Dough was mixed and allowed to rise in a bucket.  Dough was then cut off with a knife rolled through the sheeter dropped in the pan and cut off with a rolling pin.  It had its own sauce (spicier) then the toppings were added, then the cheese and then baked.

Over the years they changed it when after the dough had risen in the bucket it was all rolled out in to pans and then allowed to rise in the pan.  Sometimes then were even par-baked before topping.  They changed sauce to a standard one for all crusts and the order by putting sauce, cheese, toppings, and then more cheese.

Iíll have to see if anyone I know has a recipe.

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontiŤres
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge you guys have!  its truly amazing!   thanks DKM!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
Working on converting a recipe to "home" use.  Hope to have something this weekend.
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan