Author Topic: Hello  (Read 981 times)

Offline kurt72

Hello
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
My first post.  :D Never thought about doing research before. But IMHO, I have mastered the Stuffed Pizza and thin crust. But the Deep Dish had me stumped. Then I found this place.

A little about myself. My Mom and Dad grew up in Connecticut. When Dad retired from the NAVY, we settled in the Chicago area. Best job op. for Dad. After 8 years we moved to Connecticut. The ONLY thing my Mom and Dad missed about Chicago/Glendale Heights was the Pizza. I went to one of the Uno chains in CT. Based on that experience, I will NEVER set foot in ANY UNO's in or out of Chicago again. EVER!!

I ended up in San Diego in 94', joined the NAVY. Bout 10 years ago, I was really craving a Stuffed Pizza. On visits back to Chicago I would get some frozen ones at O'Hare. And I found 10 years ago I could order one on line. But that's too pricey. I found the "Chicago Pizza Cookbook" by Pasquale Bruno. Once I got the recipe for stuffed down, I realized it wasn't right. So through trial and error, I fixed it. Funny what your taste buds can remember. When I got the thin crust down and stuffed down, it took me back to my youth in Glendale Heights. When my work has pot lucks, I bring in stuffed. I go to local pizza places to get boxes to transport the pies. The smell coming out of the box always takes me back. I have friends here in San Diego born and raised in Chicago who often ask me to make them pies.

But something about the deep dish I couldn't get down right. So I found some ideas here. Mainly Crisco. I did the full layer of sausage patty. When the crust looked done I took it out. But the sausage wasn't quite cooked all the way through. So back in the over it went, and I overcooked it.  >:( Burnt the bottom.  >:( However, what a major difference!! Even though it was burnt, the crust was buttery like, moist. When I used the cornmeal mixed with flour before, it was dry and rough. So the next time (maybe tomorrow  :D ) I may make another attempt. Will add some semolina flour to the mix.

Looking forward to interacting here with everyone. Ciao!

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:31:24 AM »
Welcome to the board, Kurt.  Remember to post pics and dough formulations for us.  Looking forward to seeing your results.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline kurt72

Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
will do. just having fun reading ALL of the info here.