Author Topic: 6 in 1 Shipment?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline AustinSpartan

6 in 1 Shipment?
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
Just wondering what has been the typical shipping time for the 6 in 1 tomatoes? And, did you receive any confirmation email from Escalon?

I placed an order last Monday and my credit card was charged that day, but I've yet to receive anything; product nor confirmation email. Just wondering if this was typical?

Thanks

Offline Sysjack

Re: 6 in 1 Shipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
My shipment arrived before the confirmation email.  I don't remember the exact ship time but I think they arrived 1.5 to 2 weeks after placing my order.

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
I usually get mine in a little over a week.  I remember getting a confirmation, but not immediately.

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
Thanks. You've both confirmed that this is pretty standard protocol when ordering from Escalon. Glad I ordered 9 cans, they should last me long enough to forget how long they took to arrive. :)

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
But the price is great and they only charge a couple of dollars to ship a dozen cans -- so I just order well in advance.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
Have you guys considered working with a local restaurant and have them order 6-1 product from their distributors?
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline tzoavva

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:07:15 AM »
GotRocks you may be on to something.  I was in a local 3 Brothers Pizza Restaurant here in the MD Area and they had a shop attached to the restaurant and I walked thru and noticed they had a large 6-1 can there.  Just curios does it only come in one size does any one know?  I held off on getting it to see if there were smaller size cans possibly in some local italian/international stores in the area.

Offline old criter

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »
Ordered from Escalon website on Friday the 19th
E-mail confirmation of items being shipped, with tracking number, on Monday the 22nd
Shipment arrived, I live in Southern California, Wednesday the 24th

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
GotRocks you may be on to something.  I was in a local 3 Brothers Pizza Restaurant here in the MD Area and they had a shop attached to the restaurant and I walked thru and noticed they had a large 6-1 can there.  Just curios does it only come in one size does any one know?  I held off on getting it to see if there were smaller size cans possibly in some local italian/international stores in the area.

You can order directly from Escalon like Old Criter did and the cans are 28 oz., but you need to order a minimum of 3.  If you order at least 6 cans, I think they take off the shipping and handling cost.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline old criter

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
ME,
I ordered 9 cans - they DID NOT take off the shipping costs. I must add that the shipping costs to zip 92040 were more than reasonable considering the order was shipped UPS.

9 cans 6 in 1 - $22.50
Shipping Cost - $ 2.25
Total..............$24.75

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
My mistake.  The price break listed for ordering 6 or more cans is as follows:

* SAVE $0.83 per can when ordering 6 or more.
NOTE:  Total quantity must be a multiple of 3.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Ricklesss

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
 For some reason I feel dumb asking this, (and I did try Wikipedia'ing it, to no avail..)
 What does 6 in 1 tomato mean? They are San Marzano's right? Confused about the "6".
 Thanks in advance to anyone who can fill me in, please!
  RicklesssssssS in Oregon

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
Not sure what "6 in 1" actually stands for, but sure these tomatoes are grown in California and thus not san marzano's.  Still excellent IMHO though.
By all means anyone looking for these should explore local markets, especially Italian ones if there are any around.  That is where I found them down the street for $1.59/28 oz can (Escalon only offers the crushed in this size).  Funny to me since they were always there, I just did not know about them.  Now it seems I can't find any small/Italian markets that do not sell them.  I seem to recall someone posting that they had actually found them at Krogers or some other large chain supermarket.  Not stocked with the other canned tomatoes, but with the prepared sauces way down the aisle, so maybe...? 
I was also surprised to find that a couple of commercial rest/pizza supply's in my area allow cash and carry to the public so you may have a few around also.  Not the easiest places to find since they do not really advertise but might be worth the effort even if you have to buy a whole case.  Plus these places have lots of other goodies and all nicely priced - cheap! 
All other Escalon products only come in the giant #10 commercial can size.
Lastly, I have also read posts where forum members were able to purchase tomatoes, flour, etc from a local friendly independent pizzeria.
Good Luck! 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
It means 6 uses in 1 product.   (meaning that it works in many different recipes).

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
I did not know that 6-1 was such a sought after and highly reverred product by so many people until joining this forum a few weeks ago.

I have always liked the 6-1 brand ground tomatoes, and I used them for almost all my canned tomato needs because I liked the flavor and the texture.
I started using 6-1 back in the early 1980's when I first tried the stuff. I think the older style label was much neater than the current one, it really showed the age of the bramd, it was way retro looking, even back in the 80's, the little story about the Columbo family was neat too.

If you guys are ok with #10 cans, I could ship them via flat-rate priority mail for my actual cost.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Don't let the Columbo family story fool you, Escalon is a division of Heinz. Still are good tomatoes though, just wish they would get rid of the skins.

pizzapan