Author Topic: Hello, and Thank You  (Read 919 times)

Offline zenn

Hello, and Thank You
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Hello everyone. I have been reading trough this site for about a week since I started making pizza@home again. First let me say Thank You to everyone that contributes so much great information. This really is an invaluable resource, so thanks for having me.

I lived most of my life in NYC so i am familiar with what is claimed to be the best pizza. Also had real Napolitan pizza in Naples, definitely not my favorite.

I never imagined there was so much involved in making my own dough. Who would of thought that a difference of just one ounce either way in flour or water would have so much impact. Or even in the temperature of the water. Now the pizzas that i have made always came out good, but not great. Just always attributed the white flavorless crust to not having a coal fired 600+deg pizza oven. Guess i have a lot to learn.

My basic pizza recipe
2 parts flour to 1 part water. (2cups AP to 1cup H2O makes 14in pie)
pinch salt
small spoon of sugar
1 packet instant yeast
drizzle of olive Oil
mix to form a mass, if too dry add water till workable
hand knead on counter adding flour till no longer sticky
form into a ball. Let rise on counter for 2 hours
Punch it down and push it out onto a pizza pie pan. Add sauce and cheese
bake @450 for 10-12 mins
We have always been happy with the results, but I want to do better.
After some time reading trough the posts here I now see that I can at home.

As you can see by my scientifically accurate mesurements, my style is more of a round it off, pinch of this, some of that. A digital scale is on the list for a future purchase.

S I made another pizza today using some of what I gleamed from this site.
This time used 3 parts flour to 1 part water. Used the dough hook in the Kitchen aid for 5 minutes. Let it sit out for 2 hours, then in the fridge overnight. Took the dough out to let it sit for 2 hours again then laid it out onto the pie pan. Baked as usual. Boy what a difference that 1 cup of flout made. It was the best pizza I have made so far.
The crust had a nice golden color, and the inside wasnt at all like stemed bread. The dough was much easier to work with, no tearing, not sticky, no need for excess flour to help shape it.

Seems I have a lot to learn, so I will be here frequently. Even if I'm not posting, I will be reading everything.

Offline DanTheMan

Re: Hello, and Thank You
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
Hi  Zenn,

Welcome aboard.  This is a great site to learn.  I have been making pizzas for over 15 years now and have sooo much improved my cooking since I have been on this site.  Look through all of the other threads for some serious info.

I think you will begin to make more pizza pies !! :chef: :chef: :chef:

Cheers!

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
It will get easier as you develop your style.  And much easier with the digital scale.  I can't believe how easy it is to just pour the ingredients from the container into a bowl that's on the scale.  No measuring cups or spoons.  I can put together a batch of dough in just a few minutes (plus kneading).  And I only have to clean the mixer bowl and dough hook.

Offline zenn

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
To quote Alton Brown: for every act of cooking, there is at least one act of cleaning.

On days when I'm home fooling around in the kitchen, I spend half my time at the sink.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
To quote Alton Brown: for every act of cooking, there is at least one act of cleaning.

I don't separate cooking and cleaning. Cleaning is an integral part of my cooking logistics.  Cleaning is space management, utensil management, hygiene and shelf life.  Mise en place for most foods is important, but with pizza, it's critical.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
I have managed to minimize cleaning pretty well. I use a food processor to make dough, and then the parts go in the dishwasher. I use the same Pyrex cup to activate the yeast and mix my sauce. I toss the dough on the glass surface of my range. Then I hold my peel under the edge of the range, and I sweep the excess flour onto it and rinse it off in the sink. The only thing I have to wash by hand is my aluminum pizza tray. The dishwasher oxidizes it.

Life without a dishwasher is unthinkable.

pizzapan