Author Topic: Michealangelo's-FORMERLY northeast side of Detroit-anybody?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline pjbear05

Michealangelo's-FORMERLY northeast side of Detroit-anybody?
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
Anybody remember Michelangelo's in the 7-Mack shopping center east side Detroit/Grosee Pointes? 

Not exactly Chicago style, more like a thick pie crust or croissant consntency in the dough.

Anybody?
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Michealangelo's-FORMERLY northeast side of Detroit-anybody?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
Yes, I do!  Stuffed deep dish that the menu warned took 45 min, but worth it.  My favorite was the spinach.  I recall a softish crust too but still really liked it.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
Yeah PH I remember that too, was still worth it, although I think the wait time killed the business.  Any ideas of what recepie for a clone of that crust?  I put out a query earlier and all I got was a layered crust with lots of fat, and with the layers run through a sheeter-and I DO remember seeing a sheeter in their kitchen. The wife will crab (she HATED the place) but I'd love to try to put one together. :chef:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:44:05 PM by pjbear05 »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
Wow, I just don't recall enough about their crust to venture a guess on how to try and reproduce it.  And I don't know squat about sheeters or how that might apply.
Having said that, I have made this dough and liked it.  It is softish, is not the conventional high oil content biscuity Chicago style, and has sort of a unique texture.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8ffd78954705451820728e7e7d3e951a&topic=8410.0
The original recipe posted in the beginning of the thread worked out great for me other than being too thick.  Might be worth a try.  Who knows, maybe the wife will like it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:12:52 PM by PizzaHog »

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
Youza, Randy's got a winner there.  Definitely be looking at that one, although Karen isn't real fond of the heavier,thicker crusts of late.  For her I'm going to need to research the board for Chicago style thin crust recepies.

The way I remember Michelangelo's, and that's what pushing me on this, was a pie-like crust.  The interior of the crust was soft, but there wasn't much of it.  The exterior, such as the bottom and the rim of the crust were crisp, and the rim, was not doughy like a pizza.  It broke off and had the taste and consistency of a pie, made from very rich pastry, but with a leavening other than yeast (?)

Now I'm wondering if they could have been laying down two different crusts-a pie crust for the botttom and rim, topped by softer, more traditional pizza crust.  A straight up pie crust wouldn't support everything else on a pizza.  Hmmm, how the  mid turns-it might be experiment time.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
OK, I think I found something very close.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2365.0.html

A little work with this and Bingo.

pizzapan