Author Topic: Home made Italian Sausage  (Read 2183 times)

Offline bonesbr549

Home made Italian Sausage
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
Well, I've been trying to get the gumption to make some sausage for some time.  I had all the tools exexcpt the stuffer.  Yesterday I stopped and bought the stuffer attachement for my kitchen aid.  I went to the butcher bought a 3lb boston butt pork roast some hog casings and did it.  I found there are as many variations of "Italian sausage" as there are people.   I tried a combination of items I found here and items saw in other recipies and some guesses.   My sample was loved by my son (he had me do two extra paties for him.  I plan on using some of my 6-in-1's tomorrow with some peppers,onions and garlic to make a dish for the nfl championships.   I found 3lbs made quite a bit.  I plan on some pizza next week.   The only thing I'm going to play with is cutting the salt some and adding some more fennel and basil.   

1/4 white wine
                                                    3Tsp Morton coarse Kosher Salt ground in a mortal and pesta
                                                    1/2Tsp ground coriander
                                                    1T white pepp
                                                    1/2Tsp sugar
                                                    11/2T partially ground fennel seed
                                                    2 TBS paprika
                                                    tsp garlic powder
                                                    4 large basil leaves (fresh from the pot)
Learnings from experience. 

It was easy to do and I love the kitchen aid (my own burger is next).  I should cut the salt amount increase the fennel and basil.    Can't wait for the next pizza

Offline RichC

Re: Home made Italian Sausage
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
Did you use both the stuffer and grinder attachments from your KA?

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
Did you use both the stuffer and grinder attachments from your KA?

Yes I did and it worked fantastic.   I had the grinder attachment for quite some time.  I stopped by last friday at a store on the way home and bought the stuffer (9 bucks) which is two tubes and a piece that fits over the screw to stablize it.  I cubed the boston butt and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes while I got the dry ingredients in place.  Ran it through the large diameter plate twice, and once through the small hole plate.  It went very fast.   I mixed the ingredients all together and put it back in the fridge for another 30 minutes and got the stuffer and casing ready. The stuffing went fast because the wife kept feeding the mix while I just contoled the sausage size etc.   I cooked them up yesterday with peppers onions tomatoes garic fresh basil in the crock pot all day, and they were fantastic.  My neighors made some toasted ravioli I told them how to make and we had a great time eating and have a bottle of wine.  I had not had home-made before, and they were tender not like the commercial ones I've had.  Excellent!  My next project is home-made peperoni!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
Man, that's some good lookin sausage. Can almost taste that on a pizza with some roasted red peppers. I'll have to give your recipe a try, mines a little simplier, but yours sounds really good.